PDA

View Full Version : Strange networking problem

ThanosOfTitan
12-26-2003, 07:32 PM
Initial note, I fixed this by replacing the network card, just not sure why it happened.

I just got a new system, this one has a Broadcom NetExtreme 10/100/1000 network adapter and is running XP pro as my game box. Here's the problem, when it's hooked up to my router/switch (10/100 mbps) I get a address no problem, when I hook it into the hub (10 mbps) that is off the router I get some weird IP address. My old system, and my linus box work fine off the hub. Also I killed everything on the outside chance somehow something was running a DHCP/BootP service, no luck. Tried forcing the card not to autosense speed thinking it was something to do with that, nothing.

Luckly I had a spare network card and that one has 0 problems getting a proper IP address. Just strange and curious if anyone has seen similar.

S_B_R
12-26-2003, 09:22 PM
Did you reset/reboot your router? I know some hardware routers are very picky about MAC addresses. If you connected it to the router and it got and address, the router has now assigned an address to your broadcom NIC and it's associated MAC. now if you try and plug that NIC into a different port (or into a hub connected to a different port). the router may not give it an address because it already thinks there is a device with the same MAC connected to it... Add to that one IP/MAC pair is assigned at 100mb, and this new one is trying to connect on a different port, with the same MAC but 10mb.

Does that make sense? It's convoluted I know... ;)

ThanosOfTitan
12-27-2003, 01:08 AM
Did you reset/reboot your router? I know some hardware routers are very picky about MAC addresses. If you connected it to the router and it got and address, the router has now assigned an address to your broadcom NIC and it's associated MAC. now if you try and plug that NIC into a different port (or into a hub connected to a different port). the router may not give it an address because it already thinks there is a device with the same MAC connected to it... Add to that one IP/MAC pair is assigned at 100mb, and this new one is trying to connect on a different port, with the same MAC but 10mb.
I did try rebooting the router in there, 99% certain I would have gotten it, if that was it. Excellent point there with the mac addresses.

It's not so much a problem for me, but darn I hate mysteries.

who_me_use_seq
12-27-2003, 11:29 PM
My Nforce onboard ethernet refuses under any circumstances to speak through my Linksys hub, an old linksys hub that had been working fine with my old 3com ethernet cards for years. It has no problems however with my Netgear 4 port hub.

That one drove me crazy for weeks. I finally just gave up and put the Linksys on a back shelf.

S_B_R
12-28-2003, 11:15 PM
Things like that are why I still try and stay away from Linksys NIC. I once bought one of the Linksys 10/100 home networking kit. It came with 2 NICs and a "Hub". The probelm I had was the 2 NIC would not talk to each other, but they both had no problems talking to a 3rd machine using a 3com card. It turns out that both Linksys NICs had the same MAC address...