PDA

View Full Version : new linux box now seq busted

ghostrider
12-27-2003, 12:21 PM
Ok I recently updated linux from a old laptop to a desktop computer I am running redhat 9.0. The old laptop ran showeq like a champ. Now after I have changed machines showeq will compile fine with no errors and will open but it never finds the eq client. I have tried both version of showeq that are out now and still get nothing on both. I have checked the nic card(linksys 10/100) it gets the internet fine and can ping all other machines on the network. It is pluged into the same hub that the laptop and other machines are pluged into that was working fine before switching to this new machine. If anyone has any ideas please help. I guess if worse comes to worse I can go back to my laptop, but i really like the way linux is running on this desktop it is so much faster.

thanks,

Ghostrider

S_B_R
12-27-2003, 02:29 PM
what speed NIC was in the laptop? What speed NIC is in your EQ machine?

Try running tcpdump on your linux box, you should be able to see packets to and from your EQ machine and SOE.

ghostrider
12-28-2003, 07:40 AM
laptop was running a netgear 10/100 pcmcia card..desktop is running a linksys 10/100 card. I did a tcpdump last night and the card is not pulling anything from the eq machine. My question now is could it be a card that will not sniff? Just not real sure where to go from here.

thanks,

ghostrider

S_B_R
12-28-2003, 11:10 PM
it's probably a difference in speed, maybe one or the other is at a different speed than before.

tonni
12-28-2003, 11:18 PM
i use link sys 10/100 in all my boxes and laptop i have no probem are the new machine on same subnet or ipblock ?

S_B_R
12-29-2003, 12:34 PM
The thing is in promiscuous mode the NIC will see any packets that pass by, whether the source/destination NIC are on the same subnet or not.

There are only a few options that could cause it not see the packets. The Hub is not a hub but actually a switch.
There is a physical fault in the cabling.
The promiscuous NIC is a different speed than the target.

ghostrider
12-30-2003, 07:23 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone for their help, I replaced the network card and that solved the problem. Thanks for the input.

Thanks,

Ghostrider