PDA

View Full Version : Problem with configure

jumb0
01-04-2004, 06:31 AM
I had 4.3.18 compiled no problems and none of the earlier version had any problems with. Nothing has changed yet when I try to ./configure the 4.3.19 tarball it comes up with this.

checking for libXext... yes
checking for extra includes... no
checking for extra libs... no
checking for libz... -lz
checking for libpng... -lpng -lz -lm
checking for Qt... yes
>> Found version.: 3.2.3
>>> Headers......: /usr/lib/qt-3.2.3/include/
>>>> Libraries...: /usr/lib/qt-3.1/lib/
configure: error: Something wicked happened while trying to validate your Qt installation!!! Please verify your libraries...

Any ideas as to what I've missed?

seqmage
01-04-2004, 07:47 AM
you missed the search button..

and you missed reading INSTALL.newbies file in your showeq directory.

but because your lazy.. and need it spoon fed to you.. look at these 2 lines

>>> Headers......: /usr/lib/qt-3.2.3/include/

hmm.. i would guess that your running Qt-3.2.3 but didnt add the Libraries for 3.2.3.. again this answer would be in the Two(2) references I mentioned above..

Here is what mine looks like when i compile

checking for Qt... yes
>> Found version.: 3.1.1
>>> Headers......: /usr/lib/qt-3.1/include/

See how the headers and libraries match..

tigerknight
01-08-2004, 09:22 AM
I can never stand how people on these forums love to flame and ridicule and otherwise insult people asking for help, that's why it's a fucking HELP FORUM. That aside though, you should have tried to search first (maybe you did but it didn't seem like it) because I know there are answers out there for it, I had this one specificly myself.

In any case, I'll give a few hints that might be helpful. First off, the qt build is what you slipped up on, I'm sure. The version mismatch in your configure output is a dead giveaway. Go through the INSTALL.newbies file again and give painstaking detail to sections 1.4 through 1.6.

I missed one part of it and had the 'something wicked' output even though my versions matched, so the twit who answered before me wasn't very helpful either, despite wanting to 'spoon feed' you :P

================
checking for Qt... yes
>> Found version.: 3.3.0b1
>>> Headers......: /usr/local/qt/include/
>>>> Libraries...: /usr/local/qt/lib/
configure: error: Something wicked happened while trying to validate your Qt installation!!! Please verify your libraries...

who_me_use_seq
01-08-2004, 10:40 AM
If you are going to defend the downtrodden you need to check the forums more often. Seqmage helped the guy with his problem 4 days ago.

The problem was obvious. If the guy was an idiot he deserved what he got. If he just missed the line somehow while reading it, and while cutting it, and while pasting it, and while commenting on it, then I can see him slapping his head and saying "Doh......What an idiot I am. I deserved that"

tigerknight
01-08-2004, 12:56 PM
I have better things to do than read the ShowEQ forums 24/7 or research a particular user and what they may have said/done before I come along.

I actually came here because /I/ was having this same issue (again) and did a search on the forums. It jogged my memory but since it was dated the most recent in this style of problem and the only response was 'you stupid idiot here's a patronizing reply' I put in something a bit less offensive and backhanded.

I don't care if these people feel so superior and impatient with people asking questions because they didn't RTFM, if a question is asked it's because someone thought it qualified; whether they already 'followed procedure' to help themselves or not.

Work tech support sometime, or better yet work with a parent or grandparent in explaining a web browser and email. You'll get the same questions again and again and again and they seldom help themselves but are always asking questions with a genuine intent. What are you going to do then, call them stupid idiots who need to RTFM or shut up?

who_me_use_seq
01-08-2004, 01:10 PM
I have worked tech support in my younger days. I am aware that the average IQ of the American populace only exceeds that of kelp by about 5%.

What we are dealing with here is a clever solution to an annoying problem; SEQ. The bar to the use of this solution is set pretty low. A basic capability to read and follow instructions is all that is required.

The problem with which we are faced is that the solution is considered to be a problem by the Sony corporation. Sometimes they worry about it and try to break our solution, sometimes not so much.

As demonstrated by MacroQuesters, the surest way to raise the profile of your application and bring the scrutiny of Sony to bear closely on your userbase is to have morons using your product.

It is my contention that it is a good idea to keep the general tone of these forums hostile to stupidity. Keep the morons out. Keep the profile low.

tigerknight
01-08-2004, 01:35 PM
But just because someone asks questions doesn't mean they're stupid. Manuals and such work great, but it's all written for a specific target flavor of linux.

I've had to deal with a number of patchwork fixes because I use Debian. I've asked a lot of questions because of it. There's also an issue of familiarity; you get used to something being a particular way and you forget things. ie my problem with 'something wicked' this time around was that I'd had the last version of qt working for a good long while and when I needed to update I completely forgot that I had to do the -thread part of it, and then the mkspecs file modification to boot. I had to rebuild qt 3 times (about 12 hours worth of time on my box). I'm no idiot, I just forgot all the effort that went into it last time because I've built showeq about 40 times, but only had to build qt twice.

I definitely agree though that genuine stupidity is highly annoying, and should be discouraged in users - ie someone who wants to c4mp phat lew1 and use showeq to do so really shouldn't bother. But if someone can form a decently put question that actually is on target (as opposed to someone saying out they think their 'ls' is broken because gcc won't work) shouldn't be by default considered an idiot and dealt with harshly.

There's certainly a bit of RTFM that can go around, I had to give myself a dose of it when trying to compile the seq5 beta and the newer version of qt. I just disapprove of the broad spectrum 'if you ask questions you're a dumbass' approach that many people respond with to even well documented and thought out questions.

BlueAdept
01-08-2004, 05:44 PM
How fucking hard is it to use the freaking search button before asking something that has been answered 50,000 times.

Other than this thread, in the search, the top 3 threads for "something wicked" have the answer or have links to the messages that has the answer.

To top it off, right in the showeq directory in the INSTALL.newbies file is how to fix the problem.

If someone doesnt take 5 seconds to even attempt to correct a problem on their own, why should they have the right to take my time having to scan messages in order to find if there is a real problem that does need attention.

tigerknight, since you dont like the bitching at people who ask questions that have been answered numerous times, you have just volunteered to answer ALL questions from now on. We will even remove the search button because people who ask these questions dont use it and therefore it is no good anyway.

Thank you and have fun tiger.

tigerknight
01-08-2004, 05:53 PM
Now you're just being an ass because it must be fun. This is the 'help desk' forum, you know - where people go for 'help'? You're absolutely right, it is in the INSTALL.newbies file. And, if you'll notice, I pointed the user to the exact sections that deal with how to get qt going correctly.

So what the hell is /your/ problem, you obviously didn't have to lift a finger to answer this question in the first place other than to lay some smack around to other people.

If all you want is to deal with 'actual' problems, I guess you could just stick to the dev/bug/feature forums and ignore the obviously inept, ignorant, whining masses of end users who missed a detail here or there and need reminders or *gasp* help.

In fact, that's a great concept for all the people who 'waste their precious time' with putting idiots in their place - stop wasting your time! Ignore it utterly and completely - the only one who's actually getting you to waste your precious time is you for tossing some flames around in here.

Cryonic
01-08-2004, 06:17 PM
/sigh.

Last I checked this was not a paying job. As such, help desk is a generic term and the type of responses you get is dependent on the type of group you are asking for help.

Since the level of expertise for this program is expected to be above the stage of Algae/Couch Potato, then asking a question that has been asked and answered before is going to get you responses similar to what you are complaining about. It has been the standing of the devs, both here and in previous boards that this program should not be for the masses and things like the issue with MQ that came up in the last week or two show exactly why this program should only be used by those with some ability to learn on their own and RTFM.

tigerknight
01-08-2004, 07:01 PM
I've never said that every question has to be answered. In the end my whole attitude here boils down to this:

Flaming takes a lot more energy than just letting something go unanswered. It's such a fruitless effort. Plus it gives the impression that the people behind the project are assholes and I know that there is a high percentage of quality people in this project.

If you've seen the question answered a zillion times before then stop answering it, the person asking will either give up because it's 'too hard' (which is the implied perferred result for the putz type of person that this project doesn't want anyway), or they'll go back and double, triple check what they've done and start working to help themselves.

High and mighty responses only make the person making them out to be a prick with a superiority complex. Either answer the question with useful information, or move along and ignore it for whatever reason you feel appropriate.

who_me_use_seq
01-08-2004, 10:14 PM
Well Thank you for straightening us out Tiger. We probably would have gone along doing things like we had been doing them for the last 3 or 4 years if you hadn't come along to point out to us the errors of our ways.

It is all clear to me now. I have wronged each and every one of the brain-dead cocksuckers that I have flamed on this board. I will now make it my lifes work to hunt them each down and spoon feed them knowledge until their tiny brains are full up.

We are lucky to have someone like you to act as a paragon of virtue for us all.

tigerknight
01-08-2004, 10:26 PM
Good grief, you guys are hopeless. What part of I've never said that every question has to be answered did no one get? It's simply baffling at the amount of effort that goes into calling someone a jackass or stupid, when such long winded responses could be put to actual USE, or better yet you could just ignore the question and move on to something else. Don't you guys have anything better to use your energy on than flaming, or is it really all that satisfying? I simply don't get it.

And seeing as how this has gone WAY off the original topic, I'll be stopping here. If you guys still feel like debating the merits and flaws of not flaming a repeat question, feel free to private message me so this thread can actually slide off the active list and things can move on.

BlueAdept
01-08-2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by tigerknight
If you've seen the question answered a zillion times before then stop answering it, the person asking will either give up because it's 'too hard' (which is the implied perferred result for the putz type of person that this project doesn't want anyway), or they'll go back and double, triple check what they've done and start working to help themselves.

More likely they will keep posting on EVERY message section the problem they are having and demanding an answer on how to fix it.

If they are too fucking lazy to use the search button, to read the faq, or to read the INSTALL.newbies guide, why the hell do you think that they will go back and double and triple check what they have done? They will just keep posting until someone finally gives them what they want.

BTW I like this thread http://seq.sourceforge.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=490

seqmage
01-09-2004, 05:24 AM
um, he asked what was missed.. i pointed out the search button, and reading the install.newbies file.. i didnt make it a personal flame.. i didnt call him an idiot..

from the ShowEQ FAQ link on the left side of the page.. is this.
And Now i am being the "elitest asshole" for tigerknight Because he really needs to understand that the FAQ is what i base all my answers off of..

3.4 - A large number of the people who regularly post here seem to be elitest assholes. Could you explain this?
You are mistaking elitism for disappointment in the average anonymous internet user. You are free to comment on what you think of our "attitude", but when it comes down to it the people with 400+ posts that have been here for 1 or 2 years helping people are not affected by comments from people who just registered to ask an already asked question. If you really want us to be helpful, you have to put a small amount of effort in as well. We don't mind trying to figure out a problem with you, in fact a large number of linux users actually ENJOY this (I do), but when you ask a question without searching or without giving us enough information to even try and GUESS what your problem is, you will probably get a flameish response. ShowEQ support is not the only place you see this, most linux support forums in general are like this. It is the old "give a man a fish vs. teaching him to fish" addage. If we spoon feed the answers to everyone, do you learn anything? ShowEQ is like marijuana. Once you start using ShowEQ, you will probably get deeper and deeper into linux with things like apache and samba or maybe even programming for opensource projects.

Oh yeah, don't forget that no one who helps people is paid to do so. We are not paid an hourly wage to hang out and help people in the forums and the developers are not paid to write ShowEQ. Any form of help that ANYONE here gives is voluntarily and you should consider it a privladge to have recieved it, even if it is a post calling you a tard and pointing to an FAQ section.

4.3 - I went where you said to get help, but everyone called me mean names and my problem still exists. Did you know that would happen?
People probably made fun of you and called you mean names because you asked the same question that many others have asked before. Did you use the search feature? Maybe you were unable to find anything related to your problem, so you posted your question as "My ShowEQ is broken, help!?" and this could be the problem. When asking for help, you need to provide as much possible information as you possibly can. This includes pasting the exact error message and maybe even logs of the problem. Most of the people who help on these forums are not psychic or choose not to use their psychic abilities on these types of posts.