PDA

View Full Version : Fwd: Red Hat Linux 7.x and 8.0 end of life notification

Zaphod
01-14-2004, 03:49 PM
Just figured I'd pass this along for our users that are still using RedHat Linux 7.x and 8.0.

Subject Red Hat Linux 7.x and 8.0 end of life notification

Dear Red Hat Linux 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 and 8.0 customers,

In accordance with our errata support policy, the Red Hat Linux 7.1,
7.2, 7.3 and 8.0 distributions have now reached their errata maintenance
end-of-life.

This means that we will no longer be producing security, bugfix, or
enhancement updates for these products. Red Hat Linux 9 reaches end
of life on April 30, 2004.

As our product family grows and expands, we want to help you
migrate to the Red Hat solution that is right for you. Whether that's
one of our Red Hat Enterprise Linux products or the Fedora Project, our
Red Hat Linux Migration Resource Center can help you find the Red Hat
solution best suited for your needs

http//www.redhat.com/solutions/migration/rhl/

The errata support policy, as well as our current errata and advisories,
are available from

http//www.redhat.com/apps/support/errata/

--the Red Hat Network Team

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

thugger
01-15-2004, 12:55 AM
The new Redhat pricing model is outside my budget.

I moved to SUSE 9.0 and its been a painless transition. The YAST/YOU update mechanism works fine to keep it up to date.

Edit:
Fedora does not have the Redhat Network to keep it happily upto date. I wanted a product with some form of support, and updates.

Cryonic
01-15-2004, 01:08 AM
Really? I thought Fedora was free to download

RH is wanting to focus on the business customer that needs a stable and not the latest whizbang feature system. So, they provide an OS for the next 5 years for a certain price. Meanwhile Fedora, the community project that RH will be helping to support, will create the distros for the consumer with quick upgrade cycles and the latest whizbang features.

BlueAdept
01-15-2004, 09:14 AM
Fedora is free.

I heard that RH moved to pay only because of the SCO licensing issues.

Watch out, SCO wants to charge every person who uses linux to pay $700. The amount is to double by the fall if you dont comply.

What a crock. I hope SCO goes under for pulling that kind of crap.

http://action.eff.org/action/index.asp?step=2&item=2775

S_B_R
01-15-2004, 09:57 AM
Fedora (http://fedora.redhat.com/) is free. It seems to be a pretty good distro. No real problems, some missing graphics in the installer, and a few other minor things like that (which have probably been fixed since installed it). It's basically RedHat 10.0...

junk
01-15-2004, 10:11 AM
That whole issue is why I just run Gentoo (http://www.gentoo.org/). =)

Spaz
01-15-2004, 11:48 AM
Been running Fedora for a bit, I'm not a very technical Linux user, but I've yet to have any problems at all with it.

maggotboy
02-02-2004, 10:49 AM
As a die-hard Windows coder and complete total Linux n00b, I was dreading having to upgrade my RH7.2 installation and redo the whole box for the latest ShowEQ.

I mean, I am a really good C++ and Windows coder, but when it comes to Linux ... someone give me a step-by-step or I am completely lost!

However ... I downloaded RH9 last week, reformatted my box, installed it, and was quite pleased with how easy it was. I had issues compiling ShowEQ (got that error msg during the QT check on the ./configure stage), but I downloaded QT3.2 and recompiled it, then recompiled the latest v5 beta of ShowEQ without a hitch.

Maggotboy

S_B_R
02-02-2004, 11:10 AM
Well, I got some bad news for ya Maggotboy... As was posted above, RH9 reaches EOL April 30th 2004. so you gotta do it all over again in a couple months. ;)

maggotboy
02-02-2004, 12:49 PM
Dammit! Linux suxx0rs!

Maggotboy

Raistlin
02-03-2004, 01:42 PM
Running into the same issue.

Got a RedHat 7.x box and am putting a new one together this weekend (New computers and all that)...

Is fedora stable enough for use as a server (home network yes, but it's going to be supporting a startup business in a short while, web, ftp, mail, etc.) or should I be looking at something less new?

Any distros out there that are easy to maintain? While i'm NOT a linux noob in any way (Been in it since 0.86, slackware, redhat, mandrake, etc.) my time at home to keep PCs up to date is pretty much Nill...any time i'd get takes away from EQ time, and I already don't feel like I get enough of that.

So, requirements are basically an "up2date" like system for automatic package downloads. It needs to be able to detect when a package is out of date and patch a new one down on top of it. It would be a bonus if it could be scheduled to run (like up2date was) via cron, but that's not a necessity.

As far as installation and such, I really don't care, i've done everything from a build it from scratch to a fully automated. I'd prefer to stay away from mandrake as it's always got problems, but if anyone can state that mandrake is rock solid (particularly in the package administration area) for them i'll consider it.

I know most major distros have this stuff (Debian, RH, Mandrake, probably SuSE...most likely Fedora...what about Gentoo?)

Edit: Package installation ability (some kind of RPM) would be nice as it saves me some time, but I am fully able to do the compile from scratch package install if needed.