PDA

View Full Version : Linksys Switch and Hub

ickler
01-14-2004, 06:26 PM
I have a Linksys Wireless Access Point Router with a 4 port switch and i dont want to remove (wireless for laptop that roomate uses) it just to use SEQ. can i get a hub and a attach my EQ gaming machine and SEQ mandrake box to the hub and plug the hub into the router?

im very new to networking and SEQ, but im assuming you need the hub so SEQ can analyze the data going to and from the Eq servers to your EQ windows machine, which cant be done using my Linksys switch(im reading the switch solution thread but dunno if i have the skill to do that)

am i jaded in thinking i can do this, and if so will the router cause any problems with the hub bieng attached to it? (im thinking no if my understandning on how SEQ works is correct)

slyly
01-14-2004, 06:44 PM
You should have no problem doing this. The hub should have an uplink port, or a normal port with an uplink switch, you can plug right into the router. If there is no uplink, a crossover cable between this will suffice (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Dedpoet
01-14-2004, 07:01 PM
He's right, but make sure the hub is a true hub. If it's a Linksys, it probably isn't. Check the box or label to make sure it's not a "switching hub," because that's really a switch.

Not too many true hubs are still sold at the stores anymore since it's just as cheap to manufacture a switch, but you can pick up a Netgear EN104TP still for about $20. All the Netgear EN series are true hubs. They make an 8 port model too. Short of those, you may have to check Ebay or a used store. The old D-links and Bay Networks hubs are true hubs. I use a D-Link DSH-5. It's 10/100 and a true hub, but they don't make it anymore.

ickler
01-14-2004, 07:18 PM
excellent, thank you very much, by plugging the hub into the linksys router be a very big performance drop?

slyly
01-14-2004, 07:39 PM
Chances are, Unless you do a lot of file transfers over your LAN, you won't notice a performance drop, because the speed of your internet connection will be MUCH less than the speed of the hub.

ickler
01-15-2004, 09:25 AM
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=50002269&pfp=cat3

will be the hub. now you guys said something about the uplink port, i thought i was just going to plug what normally would go into the cable modem into one of the ports on the linksys router, but should it be plugged into the uplink switch on the router? or should the linux box be plugged into the uplink switch on the hub? im still a little confused on how the actuall hardware will be setup

who_me_use_seq
01-15-2004, 09:58 AM
That hub is, in fact, a hub. I am using one right now and it works well.

Your configuration will be as follows if I understand your hardware correctly

Cable Modem
|
|
Netgear Hub
| | |
| | -----------Linksys router
| ---------------------------------------EQ computer
-----------------------------------------------------------------SEQ computer

Plug the cable modem into the uplink port on the Netgear hub. If you get a link light......viola. Everything is groovy. If no link light, press the little button by the uplink port that says "normal / uplink". That should get you a link light.

S_B_R
01-15-2004, 10:23 AM
CableModem
|
LinksysRouter
| |
| Laptop(WiFi)
--Hub--
| |
EQ SEQThe hub needs to connect to the router Via an Uplink port. Either an uplink port on the router or an uplink port on the hub, not both.

ickler
01-15-2004, 10:29 AM
that explains it perfectly.

big thanks to everyone who helped me out, i hope to have it running tonight when i reinstall mandrake.