PDA

View Full Version : cvs'ing with redhat 9.0

Amadeus
01-30-2004, 12:24 PM
I know this probably the lamest of questions; however, it requirest the simpliest of answers, so hopefully it won't drive the gurus into too much insanity.

Anyway, Zaphod gives this as the instructions to use cvs with the new ShowEQ b5:

$ export CVSROOT=:pserver:[email protected] :/cvsroot/seq
$ cvs login
$ cvs update

'export' does not seem to be a valid command or macro on RedHat. What would be the translation for us with Red Hats?

Thanks.

who_me_use_seq
01-30-2004, 12:52 PM
I am not a Linux guru. I am just barely competent. But I believe that export is common to all ixs. I know that it functions as advertised on my installation of Red Hat 9.

I think that you will have to provide more details about the manner in which it fails.

S_B_R
01-30-2004, 02:08 PM
export is actually a function of the shell you are using. By default RedHat 9 uses the bash shell which does support export. It maybe that you have inadvertently put yourself into some other shell. Try running the command bash before you execute the export line.

Or you may also try using setenv, which would look something like this.
setenv CVSROOT :pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq notice the space in place of the equal sign.

Amadeus
02-01-2004, 02:28 AM
ahh...that is probably my problem, I'm a tcsh fan :)

uRit1u2CBBA=
02-01-2004, 10:30 AM
So put as line one of your script:

#!/bin/bash

That will make the shell run under the bash shell, even though the shell you're running is something else.

Then your EXPORT will work