PDA

View Full Version : ot: Not a Seq Problem but i can't find any other settings....

dragonne
02-07-2004, 10:03 PM
Okay .. i finally bit the bullet and reinstalled my linux box.. it wouldn't take RH9 for some reason.. it kept hanging on installing the aic7xxx driver for my 2940UW scsi controller.. 8 worked but with the new requirements for SEQ coming down the pike i wanted to install an OS that would work out of the box.. I'm not into compiling kernels, or updating QT's and crap like that I simply don't have the time.

so I said screw it and grabbed a copy of fedora after spending about a week trying to get RH9 to work with that stupid controller.. fedora loaded up pefectly. installed without a hitch. cvs'd a new copy of SEQ5 compiled without a hitch and runs flawlessly.. the docking drives me a little batty at time but i can live with that..

whats pissing me off is the screen going blank every 5 minutes and when i hit the keyboard to bring it back (the mouse won;t wake it up) seq has basically stopped updating.. i can however go to network --> set device click okay and it will start updating me and maybe a few mobs here and there. If i zone it works great again until i forget to move the mouse again and it blanks out again.

so i've gone everywhere i can think of on this damned box turned off every reference to a screensaver i can find and can't find anything about power saving for the most part and I am simply at a loss as to how to just keep it from blanking out on me.. I was getting a screensaver for a while then of course i turned it of and don't get a screensaver.. its almost like a power saving thing.. i don't have any internal power saving things turned on in the PC's bios so again I am at a complete loss.

I am guessing there is some text file somewhere with a line in it i need to change or delete.

Thanks for any help.

who_me_use_seq
02-08-2004, 12:05 PM
# man xset

dragonne
02-08-2004, 05:30 PM
alright we'll see what happens after doing xset -dpms, woulda thought that would have the same effect as unchecking the box and/or having the 3 sliders all the way to the left in the display settings..

dragonne
02-08-2004, 05:46 PM
well... apparently that fixed it.. 15 minutes hasn't blanked out.. thanks for the assist.. even with the fancy gui's i guess the basics still need to be done from a cmdline.

dragonne
02-08-2004, 05:54 PM
guess i spoke to soon it just blanked out after 20 minutes.. now the monitor light is staying green during this. so apparently it thinks a setting of none for a screen saver just means blanks the screen..

Cryonic
02-08-2004, 08:31 PM
or apm thinks that since you haven't touched the mouse or keyboard in 20 minutes to turn off the video out to preserve the monitor from getting a burned in image....

dragonne
02-08-2004, 11:00 PM
If the monitor actually starting blinking the yellow light at me instead of saying solid green i might go with that.. but since I have all the power management stuff i can find disabled both hardware wise and O/S wise and as far as i know all screen saver settings turned off. i have no idea.

who_me_use_seq
02-09-2004, 09:09 AM
Add

xset s off

and possibly

xset s noblank

Which jewels of wisdom I found by using -------wait for it----

The SEARCH button

And in case you are wondering what arcane and complex search string turned up this information it was "xset"

dragonne
02-09-2004, 11:14 AM
Well considering I had never even HEARD of xset until your first post about it, it would be rather difficult to search on a command i didn't even know existed...

and i guess I wouldn't have expected to do a search for it on a SEQ forum and turn up anything useful. Since these are the only forums i read with any regularity.. well at ALL actually that have anything lnux related on them, i figured someone would have the answer and would be able to point me in the right direction.. i read the man page for xset and found the dpms option.. i didn't see the other options. My bad if I missed them.

My apologies for wasting your time.

dragonne
02-09-2004, 11:44 AM
Since i was curious i did do a search on these forums for xset, didn't turn up much so i was like wtf.. then i told it to not care when the article was posted and found fryfrogs and a crapload of others posted from 2002.

Again my apologies. I made a rather large and apprently wrong assumption that I would be able to control all of these settings through the gui..

in any case.

xset -dpms
xset s off
xset s noblank

have no effect.. screen went blank as i was typing this.

Dedpoet
02-09-2004, 01:13 PM
Have you checked your BIOS for power save settings? Those will over-ride the OS settings if they are enabled.

dragonne
02-09-2004, 11:02 PM
nope no power saving turned on in the bios. monitor stays in full power mode.

even tried the xset s 0 0 0

before the xset -dpms like fryfrog did in his post.

Zycor
06-11-2004, 11:12 PM
This works for me, give it a try

xset -dpms s off

Cheshire_Dragon
06-17-2004, 02:22 PM
I didn't bother reading through most of this thread but, I have the same SCSI card and had the same issue. Go and update the bios on the Adaptec card. After I did that I have had no problems since and it was a smooth install of RH 9. This may save you from an aneurism I see coming from the stress you are running through right now. Should only take about 10min to do and will save you lots of trouble later on.

Cryonic
06-17-2004, 05:43 PM
Good advice. Hopefully the original poster found a solution that works since the thread is over 4 months old.

AlphaBeta
06-21-2004, 04:00 PM
I had the same problem on a laptop. No matter what I did the screen would blank every 5 min.. One day I got sick of using the mouse stick on the laptop and put an external mouse on it.. to my supprize no more blanking and no more mouse lockups. took the mouse off and went right back to blanking.. /shrug. I now use the external mouse and have had zero problems sence.