PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Mandrake 8.1 and ipchains.

The Darkening
02-04-2002, 09:41 PM
Ok, I'm somewhat confused as I have two almost identical systems and had the error on one but not the other.

The error?

When I type:
ipchains -P forward DENY

I get:
Protocol Not Available

See I had the problem on one system when I only had 1 nic, so I installed a second Nic, then ran an update of Mandrake to make it notice that I added in the NIC. I know sloppy but easy for me.

The other system, I installed this nic into it first, then installed Mandrake 8.1 but I'm getting the same errors and updating and changing different components gives me the "Protocol Not Available" however ip_forward is listed in my ipv4 folder.

The systems are as follows:
AMD 1400
2x256mb PC133
80GB HDD (5gb Linux 512mb swap)
3Com Nic (10/100)
SB Live!
ATI Radeon VE 64mb

AMD 1400
2x128mb PC133
40GB HDD (5gb Linux 256 swap)
3Com NIC (10/100)
SB Live!
ATI Radeon VE 64mb

The extra nic: SMC 1211/Accton NIC (10/100)

I have not as of yet determined the problem on #2, I even went as far as deleting the partitions and rebuilding and still getting the same problem. When I was running it on #1 ShowEQ was working without any problems, but due to my desk configuration having it on #2 is better plus I'd rather pound away at a software problem then half to rearrange all my equipment :)

So if anyone has any suggestions, short of just replacing the damned SMC with another NIC, I'd appreciate it.

note: anything misspelled is because I'm tired, feel free to point and laugh.:D

Cryonic
02-04-2002, 10:08 PM
try:

ipchains -L
iptables -L

one will respond properly, other will not work.

fryfrog
02-04-2002, 11:31 PM
you really need to use iptables in rh 7.2. i have seen many many posts from the old forums complaining of getting disconnected at every zone when using ipchains and kernel 2.4.x. so, switch to iptables :)