PDA

View Full Version : Filters?

JamesTerror
02-14-2004, 10:06 PM
I'm sure someone else has come across this, just didn't find any good hits with search.

With the 5.0.0.4 and 5.0.0.5 beta, I can not edit, then save my global or zone filter files. I notice that it is pointing to my home directory when it tries to save the file, but get an error "Could not write to /home/jterror"

To start showeq, I open a terminal, run super user, then just type showeq.

I'm running Mandrake 9.2. Never had a problem with 4.3.19.

Cryonic
02-14-2004, 10:20 PM
Since the release of SEQ5 betas, it has had the ability to hold information like maps, logs and filters in ~/.showeq/ directories allowing for personalizations of things that won't get overwritten by the next version.

From what I can tell, the filters directory defaults to the CWD from which SEQ is instantiated.

Two ways to get around this:

Since you run SEQ as root, do su - not su
This will fully incorporate all the attributes of root (including starting you in roots home directory)

The other is to run SEQ under SUID mode. This way you can run it as a normal user.

I think the filters issue should be classified as a minor bug in the new feature set.

iluvseq
02-15-2004, 09:20 AM
Is there a configuration option (preferably in showeq.xml) that we can set to specify a filter path?

As trivial as it is to start ShowEQ from my filter directory, hard coding paths is a bad(tm) thing.

When in doubt, make it configurable! <grin>

JamesTerror
02-15-2004, 10:22 AM
Ok. this is odd..

I open terminal window, do su - and I get a message that showeq: cannont connect to X server. Do it again with just su, and it loads up..

I'm running Slackware 9 on this box.

JamesTerror
02-15-2004, 10:57 AM
logged into gdm as root.. Still wont save filter file.. Here's my terminal info when I start showeq

CVS: @(#) $Id: main.cpp,v 1.33.6.3 2004/01/16 20:22:10 dohpaz Exp $ $Name: pre_5_0_beta $
Using GCC version: 3.2.3
Using glibc version: 2.3
Using Qt version: 3.2.1
Using headers from linux version: 2.4.22
Using EQItemDB: @(#) $Id: itemdb.cpp,v 1.10.6.1 2003/12/07 06:30:43 dohpaz Exp $ $Name: pre_5_0_beta $
Using GDBM: This is GDBM version 1.8.0, as of May 19, 1999.
Running on Linux release 2.4.22 for processor i686

Using config file '/root/.showeq/showeq.xml'
Loaded preferences file: /usr/local/share/showeq/seqdef.xml!
Loaded preferences file: /root/.showeq/showeq.xml!
Info: Listening for client: 192.168.0.169
Info: Initializing Packet Capture Thread:
Info: Filtering packets on device eth0, IP host 192.168.0.169
Warning: Spells: Failed to open: '/usr/local/share/showeq/spells_us.txt'
Info: GuildMgr: Guildsfile loaded
Debug: ItemDB: Disabled
Info: Loading Filters from '/root'
Info: Loading Zone Filter File: /root
Info: Categories Reloaded

Info: No Map found for zone 'unknown'!
Info: Checked for all variants of 'unknown.map', 'unknown.txt', and 'unknown_1.txt'
Info: in directories '/root/.showeq/maps' and '/usr/local/share/showeq/maps'!
Warning: EQStr: Failed to open '/usr/local/share/showeq/eqstr_us.txt'
Warning: OP_RandomReply (0x88) (dataLen: 0) doesn't match:
Warning: OP_RandomReply (0x88) (dataLen: 12) doesn't match: sizeof(randomStruct):76
Info: GuildMgr: New guildsfile written
Info: GuildMgr: Guildsfile loaded
MOTD:
Zone: EntryCode: Client
Info: Loaded map: '/usr/local/share/showeq/maps/Poknowledge.map'
Zone: Zoning, Please Wait... (Zone: 'poknowledge')

Cryonic
02-17-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by JamesTerror
Ok. this is odd..

I open terminal window, do su - and I get a message that showeq: cannont connect to X server. Do it again with just su, and it loads up..

I'm running Slackware 9 on this box.

As the normal user do:

xhost +localhost

That will set your X auth file to allow local connections to your X display (and therefore allow SEQ to come up when you su -).

cheese_poker
02-21-2004, 01:53 PM
Hello,

I just upgraded to SEQ 5, and I cannot edit my filter files. I am logged in as root, "su -". The terminal says it's loading zone filters from /seq/showeq.

When I edit filter(file shows up blank), type in some info, then save, it says it cannot save the file.

I tried starting up seq with the --filter-file=xxx option, to put the file in my user home directory, just in case, but seq seems to be ignoring that option. It still tries to open/save filter files in the /seq/showeq directory.

Any ideas ?

cheese_poker
03-13-2004, 01:28 AM
Can anyone suggest something to try ? I cannot save my filter files.

A friend suggested it was a permissions problem, so I changed the seq/showeq folder and content's perminsions to all/all/all. That didnt work.

Cryonic
03-13-2004, 02:14 AM
Yeah, I can't save either. time to check with Zaphod in IRC and see what he says. Hehehh.

Dedpoet
03-13-2004, 07:02 AM
Interesting. Can you create the file outisde of Seq and then modify and save it? Try going to the home directory of your user, then .showeq, then filters and just make a blank file:

# cd ~/.showeq/filters
# touch poknowledge.xml

Then go to PoK and see if you can modify and save the file once it's created. I'm wondering if you/Seq can't create the file or if you can't modify it. Two slightly different problems. You could also try creating file in the first place with a text editor instead of just a blank file. I'm just trying to narrow this down a bit.

cheese_poker
03-13-2004, 11:13 AM
You hit it on the head Dedpoet. There was no "filters" directory in the root/home/.showeq. Once I made the directory, it could save both global and zone specific files. :)

Thank you so much. I hope this helps other folks too.