PDA

View Full Version : P133, SEQ, and Me...

Noobian
02-19-2004, 12:50 PM
Ok, now that your finished laughing at me for wanting to run SEQ on a P133 with a whopping 128meg, I could use some help.

Here is what I'm wanting to do.

I want to take the 3.4GB hd out of my p133 box and put it into my p4 and install Redhat 9.0 and SEQ. Then I want to put the hd back into my p133 and run SEQ. I've been using SEQ for sometime now but this is potentially WAY beyond my Linux skill. Is this possible without too many headaches?

Also, due to the size of my hd, could someone please point me to a guide which shows the minimum install needed to do this? I've tried searching but either its not here or I've just not tried the right keywords.

Final point, if Fedora would be better than RH 9.0 I can do it instead.

Thanks;
Noobian

Cryonic
02-19-2004, 01:14 PM
I have SEQ running on a P150 with 80MB RAM. You will run into issues with installing in the P4 tower and then moving the drive over. I would suggest doing a Net install if possible if you don't have a CD drive in the system.

As for minimum size...

True minimum install of RH or Fedora is around 400MB, but then you'll need to go through and add other packages as needed to build SEQ.

rampage
02-19-2004, 01:52 PM
You might want to look at something other than redhat, Its generaly big and bloated.

Try Gentoo. :)

Noobian
02-19-2004, 01:53 PM
Thanks Cryonic;

You correctly allude to the fact that I'm having CD-rom troubles. The box has one, over 10 years old now, that for some reason will not read my Redhat 9.0 iso when I try to boot up with it.

Also, the box currently has Mandrake 8.1? and I've pretty much screwed that up trying to update qt and other stuff. So, I've decided just to upgrade to Redhat 9.0 since its newer.

Now to show my uber ignorance. You mention a "net install". Since I have the redhat ISO's on another machine can I install Redhat to my p133 via my network? If I can do that I'll just endure the 2+ days it takes to complie. :o

If I can do this please give me a tip as to where to look or what to search with for keywords and I'll try to do the rest.

Thanks again;
Noobian

Dedpoet
02-19-2004, 02:27 PM
I don't know what your financial situation is, but to me, it's worth the $15.00, especially if you are concerned about your Linux skill. It's always fun to learn though, so really it's up to you.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-101-120&catalog=55&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=0

uRit1u2CBBA=
02-19-2004, 02:28 PM
You are doing something similar as what I did -- I moved from a P233 to a celeron 800 (my old gaming machine before I build a new one).

I tar'ed up the /root folder, the /usr/local/share/showeq folder, and /usr/local/src/showeq folder and saved them

Then I installed a new copy of RH9 on the box and untarred the files in their places.

I had to get a fresh copy of the code, but after that, it works well, saving all of my maps and known spawnpoints.

KaL
02-20-2004, 10:36 AM
Unless you really just can't afford it, I would suggest buying a system with newer hardware. Low end systems are so cheap now.

I'm a long-time computer user, and the minimum machine I've run ShowEQ on was a Pentium 100mhz. As I've gotten new machines and new parts over the past few years, my Linux box has slowly been upgraded piece by piece.

It's amazing the difference in installing Linux, or any other *nix, on older hardware versus newer hardware. Hardware incompatibilities, booting issues, hard drive errors from old drives, sound, video, etc etc., and of course, compile time and run speed of SEQ.

If you can at all afford it, it's worth the hassle to get something new, even if it's a minimum eMachines joke for $400, or a 733mhz IBM closeout for $280 from Overstock.com. If you can build a machine, you can probably build something nice for pretty cheap with the closeouts on older hardware.

Noobian
02-20-2004, 02:19 PM
Really the money is not an issue here, its more of a challenge thing. Can I still find a use for my old 10th anniversary p-133 Gateway machine. :)

I do have a question if someone knows where to look off the top of their head. What are the files that I need for a lean install to run SEQ?

I've been looking at the RH 8.0 guide but it does a "select everything" type of install and I'd like to avoid that. I'd like to do more of a standard install then just add the files I need on top of that.

Thanks again;

Noobian

P.S. There are also some good deals on www.pricewatch.com if you want to get by cheaply. It will link you to vendors selling "barebones" systems with just about any processor you want.

BlueAdept
02-20-2004, 02:28 PM
Well you could always get this

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=S452-1001&sourceid=qDRcQDZtQR78AcC5@e4s&siteid=0029407737

Motherboard and processor for $5 after rebate. I would say it is equivilent to a p3 500.

I dont have this model, I have a 1ghz one. Might be a little faster than mine. Runs linux pretty good.

They also have this for $10 after rebate.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=S452-1002&sourceid=qDTyQDZuAB6sAcC5@Vvg&siteid=0029407737

Noobian
02-20-2004, 02:34 PM
My friend who's helping me just got that $5 model in yesterday and says it runs well.

If I decide to get a faster machine I'll spend about $250 on a barebones system and get an ATX case ( my p-133 is an AT) with new powersupply, mb, processor, cd-rom drive, hd and built in video as well. My machine is so old its almost not worth scavenging parts from it.

Noobian