PDA

View Full Version : awesome package

maximus
02-19-2004, 07:51 PM
I been playing EQ for about 2 years. I have been to this site numerous times in the last year, but never have tried to install it because I did not have a linux machine. I got my linux machine a couple of days ago and about 1/2 hour ago installed ShowEQ. This package is amazing and I will love to provide any type of feedback that would help continue this application. This is amazing, im lost for words.

the FAQ section is just superb with great installation notes that I could follow with no linux experience. Im studying linux as my job will be requiring me to learn, again great job.

Thanks

BlueAdept
02-20-2004, 01:25 AM
SEQ is neat, but linux is more fun.

I have a web server, ftp, telnet, firewall, dhcp server, email server, and seti running on mine. It is a lot more secure than win2k/xp will ever be. The gui will probably never be as easy as windows, but windows will never catch up to the reliability and security of linux.

I was pretty much in the same boat as you maximus. I started working at a job with a SCO server. I decided that I needed to refresh my unix skills and felt that linux was the right way to do it. That was about 4 - 5 years ago. SEQ was also a reason to do it. It wasnt quite as easy as it is now. It took me about a month of figuring stuff out before I sucessfully got it compiled on RH 6.1.

Congrats on a job well done, hopefully you will use it for more than just SEQ because linux has a lot to offer.

maximus
02-21-2004, 10:52 AM
Blue, No Im not going to use my linux machine for just Showeq. Linux is a lot of fun to play around with. I plan on using as a ftp server etc. Thanks for the reply. I have learned a lot about linux in the last couple of days with a lot more learning to do, but I am having fun doing it.

Mag@@
02-28-2004, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by BlueAdept
SEQ is neat, but linux is more fun.

Congrats on a job well done, hopefully you will use it for more than just SEQ because linux has a lot to offer.

Amen Blue.

Raistlin
03-04-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by BlueAdept
The gui will probably never be as easy as windows, but windows will never catch up to the reliability and security of linux.

Have you looked at Fedora's gui and install procedures lately Blue?

It isn't there yet but damned if it isn't much and I mean MUCH closer.

Linux is a neet, fun, pull your hair out to get it working, format it and do it all over again kind of thing...:)

Sendmail, DNS, DHCP, FTP, HTTP, Firewall, Router, Network Monitor, the list goes on and on and on.

maximus
03-04-2004, 06:39 PM
To me that is what makes Linux fun, trying to learn all the things you can do. It is just amazing. Script, coding, web server etc. It is not just a workstation..Many things, many tools, and not enough time to learn it all..If EQ could run on linux, I would not even own a windows machine.

I have not looked, is there any way at all to get EQ to work on a linux machine?

Im currently trying to learn Python programming on my machine, you can learn it on windows, but something about trying to learn it on linux just seems to have a different feel to it..

Cryonic
03-04-2004, 07:13 PM
Wine (WineX) used to be able to run EQ under Linux. I don't know if it still can.

ieatacid
03-05-2004, 01:25 PM
It still can. I hear it runs rather well too.

Oid
03-08-2004, 04:09 AM
Yah, winex can still run it... at the moment, there is a possibility it is going to be hosed once the new graphics engine (requiring dx9) comes out though.....

I started wth 1 266mhz linux box for routing and showeq.... now I am up to 3 linux boxes, and down to 1 windows box... The more you use it, the more you fall in love...