PDA

View Full Version : SEQ owns for more then one reason......

internetmafia
02-22-2004, 11:28 PM
well i started with SEQ back when it was on hackersquest(and i have the mandrake 5.0 discs to prove it), and while seeing the mobs up and stuff was cool.... if i hadnt wanted to check out show id never have used linux which i now mess around with as a file server for my network. but as i wanna try more advanced things, what do you people think of the Gentoo Distro.

monster69
02-23-2004, 09:48 AM
Gentoo is a fantastic Distro. I never have anything on my machine that I didn't tell it I wanted. I have it optimized for my particular invironment. And, when I want to test with unstable packages, it is very easy to install them and remove them.

The big downside is that you are compiling from source almost all the time so be prepared for that reality.

Monster

Dedpoet
02-23-2004, 09:56 AM
A lot of us here on the forums, including myself, use Gentoo. It's a fantastic distro for people who really want to "get inside" of Linux. The setup is not for the feint of heart, nor is it really meant to be. It's a source-based distribution, which means when you set it up you really start with not much more than a shell, some network drivers, and enough of a compiler to get you going. It's difficult at first, can be frustrating in the initial setup, and compiling the bigger packages can be time-consuming (~20 hours to emerge KDE and Xwindows on a P3 1gig/256MB RAM). The rewards are great though - a fully optimized system running exactly the way you want with 0 fluff. It's fast, it's free, it's configurable, it has a fantastic suuport base in the forums, and you'll learn more about Linux in a weekend than you probably know already. It's definitely worth a look.

uRit1u2CBBA=
02-23-2004, 10:37 AM
That sounds like something I'd be interested in looking into.

One of the things that I didnt' like about Red Hat was that it didn't do things the way I wanted.

I'm usually one to try out new things, but since I've only ever used SuSe and RH, I was reluctant to try other distros.

Thanks for the information.

uRit1u2CBBA=
02-23-2004, 09:50 PM
I'm giving MySEQ a try while Gentoo is compiling itself -- and OMG does it suck .. I can't wait until I can get my SEQ back :)

Broseq
02-24-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by uRit1u2CBBA=
I'm giving MySEQ a try while Gentoo is compiling itself -- and OMG does it suck .. I can't wait until I can get my SEQ back :)

That's a little rough, MySEQ is only as good as it's contributors (you can make it better if you see something you don't like) and it made a quick appearance to fill a niche some time ago. I think the author and contributer deserve a slap on the back and not in the face.

Broseq

uRit1u2CBBA=
02-24-2004, 06:06 PM
I admit I was a little harsh -- I'm just used to SEQ. ;)

Still trying to get the kinks out of my Gentoo installation -- I can't get the network card to be recognized.

internetmafia
02-24-2004, 06:08 PM
one thing thats great about gentoo is its package system takes care of all dependencies. for example if showeq had an ebuild and you lacked QT on the system "emerge showeq" would also download and setup QT. comes in handy for the picky packages or anything loaded that likes to need other packages. its far far better to using RPMs.

who_me_use_seq
02-25-2004, 08:18 AM
I like MySEQ for a couple of reasons. At various times and for various reasons I have been unable to run SEQ for a couple of days (computer failure, network access media change, balky hub, etc). At those times I can always flip open the laptop and have MYSEQ running in short order.

The second reason is that it has siphoned off a huge percentage of the idiots, 133t speakers, and lazy assholes from these forums. Have you ever read their forums? Geebus! It amazes me how the devs over there put up with it. And since the advent of MySEQ the number of posts in this forum asking "Where can I download this program?" and "How do I install SEQ on Windows XP?" has dropped dramatically.

Cavemanbob did a good thing, and I am grateful to him for it

don'tdoit
02-25-2004, 08:32 AM
The best undocumented feature of SEQ is that it will allow you to learn more about Linux than you knew before... if you want to. I used to use RH. SEQ took me from RH6 thru RH9. I learned quite a bit. I wanted to learn more and Gentoo was the way. Gentoo is perfect for you if you want to move from a beginner/intermediate linux user to an intermediate-and-beyond user.

SEQ and Gentoo have taken me from having trouble partitioning my drives in RH's GUI setup to being able to recompile my kernel with smbfs as a module (oops, forgot it initially!) without having to look for a walkthru among other fun things.

internetmafia
02-26-2004, 03:08 AM
gentoo has showeq 4.3.19 in portage hehe.

uRit1u2CBBA=
02-26-2004, 03:18 AM
Now that's funny.

Oid
03-08-2004, 04:48 AM
distcc helps a lot with the compile times, but only if you have other boxes up and going already, I am up to 3 at the moment... my full set of compiles (from nothing to gnome and utilities and every other bloody thing under the sun) on th is 3rd pc, was 14 hours less then it was on the second pc. Each PC I add it just goes faster and faster.....

(Not all ebuilds will take advantage of distcc... )

It's an amazing distro, i learned more in a month then in a year of mandrake suse and rh....

And yah, someone needs to submit a new ebuild for the current showeq i think ;) maybe if I get bored i'll finally get around to learning how to do it. But probably not.