PDA

View Full Version : Banned for MYSEQ

Hobo
03-02-2004, 01:10 PM
http://pub147.ezboard.com/fmonklybusiness43508frm1.showMessage?topicID=44615 .topic

Read this thread. Note that it is about MYSEQ. On about page 3 you see that the guy did get his banning reduced to a warning. But best of all is the misinformation in this whole thread. Cracks me up. Especially this comment:

"In order for the new version of SEQ to operate you have to run a program ON the EQ client machine to get the seed. This is detectable."

Ya gotta love the so called "experts" and their ignorance.

cavemanbob
03-02-2004, 01:16 PM
He must of done something really really stupid to manage to get almost banned. He was probably running around like a monk with track or zig zagging between groundspawns...

Dedpoet
03-02-2004, 04:45 PM
Getting a ban for using seq reduced to a warning will probably make the guy insanely paranoid. I wonder if they will bother checking up on him in the future though. That would be pretty crazy to think that the GM's might be checking up on you at any time...

Interesting stuff.

BlueAdept
03-02-2004, 05:07 PM
The boards have been nice and quiet since MySEQ came along. I do feel sorry for caveman having to put up with all the whiners and total clueless people that used to visit here.

Zaphod
03-02-2004, 06:06 PM
I just wish they wouldn't confuse MySEQ and ShowEQ... They are similar yet very different applications.

Enjoy,
Zapod (dohpaZ)

Zanthor
03-02-2004, 06:58 PM
So my info was out of date, at one point you did need to run an app on the client machine. Sue me.

Never in that post did I claim to be an Expert on SEQ, however I'm far from uneducated about it.

Brief read over the FAQ today and I see a lots changed, may have to give it another try, not that I actually play EQ much anymore.

who_me_use_seq
03-03-2004, 09:26 AM
Don't bother clearing anything up on our account. Personally I would prefer that the general EQ playing population remain blissfully ignorant regarding the existance of this program.

As you can see from the comments in that thread on Monkly there is a tendency toward the "get out the pitchforks and torches, lets burn the monster" reaction among the unwashed masses. If too many of them know about us some of them will find the boards and post here. While this might be entertaining, it will lower the signal to noise ratio.

Hobo
03-03-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Zaphod
I just wish they wouldn't confuse MySEQ and ShowEQ... They are similar yet very different applications.

Enjoy,
Zapod (dohpaZ)

Good point. I don't know enough about MySEQ to make any comments about how it works or whether it is detectable. But that entire thread was one mass confusion between MySEQ and ShowEQ. From the first thread on I was looking for something that told me which program it was that he was running. Finally found it towards the bottom of page one.

And mistakes by folks like Zanthor (not a flame here) leads to even more mass confusion. When not up to speed on something it's best to clarify by saying "unless something has changed..." instead of quoting it to be the gospel using all caps to add significance. Although on the other hand you could look at it as being that the more confusion out there the more paranoid people are, the less users there will be and lthe less "problems" we will have.

BlueAdept
03-03-2004, 12:46 PM
The funny thing about that thread is that even though everyone is blasting SEQ and MySEQ, almost every monk I know uses one or the other.

KaL
03-03-2004, 01:06 PM
The Risk V. Reward without some form of SEQ is ridiculous in some areas. Aggro from mobs you can't see can cause a whole raid to have to do a lengthy painful CR.

I would probably have quit EQ in frustration if not for SEQ. Not for myself... I am very self-sufficient... but because my friends and my guild would be the ones suffering without it. And yes, I know people in my guild that use it. It makes the game more fun for everyone (read: less bullshit downtime) when there's a few key people using it.

I use it for finding guildmate's corpses more than anything else lately, and navigation... just as easily done with the in-game maps. Locating a big named mob is just as easily accomplished with a tracker. It's not like SEQ can help you kill it, when everyone knows where it is anyway.

S_B_R
03-03-2004, 02:28 PM
Yep, without SEQ I would have quite LONG ago. And I know atleast 4 other people that use it. And come to think about it, all but one of us play a tracking class. ;)

-Edit-
My favorite line; "I don't use ShowEQ personally but I have a friend that does."

LordCrush
03-03-2004, 05:25 PM
Rofl ... Many people talking and whining about something that they donīt really understand =p

Borscht
03-03-2004, 07:18 PM
Yup. That's just how I feel when I watch most people discuss politics.

Circles
03-04-2004, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by BlueAdept
The funny thing about that thread is that even though everyone is blasting SEQ and MySEQ, almost every monk I know uses one or the other.

even worse, they all send you questions on how to set it up, or ask you how you track certian spawns ><

Cleric
03-04-2004, 10:07 AM
What I find intetresting is there are so many cases where I have been in a group or around someone that is obviously using ShowEQ or some other derivative. For example in an LDoN a month ago I was in a group where a cleric was telling us how many named were up... It is very seldom you even see a GM on, let alone taking the time to track down idiots using the programs... but you have to figure it is the people that are so blatantly (while in a group) blathering on about stuff they have no business knowing that attract attention to themselves, either by other people reporting them (and I imagine it generally takes multiple reportings to get noticed), or just being assholes while they use it (taking spawns from people camping them, KSing, etc). On a good day you might get a guide or GM responding to you within 15 to 20 minutes for a REAL problem (no clue what they consider real anymore), but more likely you won't see any response in a 2 or 3 hour session, if at all. I have one tracking class character that I do not use a lot, with my other characters if I have a "logical" way to hint to go in a direction I will, or if the group asks for an opinion I will gladly give one if it will make a difference... I figure for the reasonably paranoid person using ShowEQ (or a derivative) it is smart practice to NOT say too much about things you would not know of... :)

The guy who posted that shows just how stupid he probably was, with his open posting of his problem :) And then supposedly they just get a suspension... right.... With this guy using MySEQ he just confused the issue more, but I am sure his transgression was more based in how he used and advertised his use of the tool, not the fact that he was using one. God if they were banning for that I would hate to see all the guys macroing in PoK for buffs get banned.. we would no longer get any KEI or Virtue... :)

Raistlin
03-04-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Zanthor
So my info was out of date, at one point you did need to run an app on the client machine. Sue me.

Never in that post did I claim to be an Expert on SEQ, however I'm far from uneducated about it.

Brief read over the FAQ today and I see a lots changed, may have to give it another try, not that I actually play EQ much anymore.

You've GOT To be kidding me right?

I mean do you have a ban wish for your monk?

I gaurentee to you I know who your character is and what server he's on simply by reading the MB thread and this thread...and it's not hard visit the two...any curious dev or GM checking up on things will be able to do so and can now mark you down as a user...not that they will, but can is disturbing enough.

I would suggest NOT using it after posting...

/shake.

--Raistlin

Oid
03-08-2004, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by BlueAdept

Yup.... i play a monk... Half the monks in my last guild used it too.... the ones that didnt, we didn't let pull.... It's to ineffecient.

Zanthor
03-08-2004, 01:20 PM
You've GOT To be kidding me right?

I mean do you have a ban wish for your monk?

I gaurentee to you I know who your character is and what server he's on simply by reading the MB thread and this thread...and it's not hard visit the two...any curious dev or GM checking up on things will be able to do so and can now mark you down as a user...not that they will, but can is disturbing enough.

Not at all, and it's quite possible you do know all that, or it's quite possible that I'm not the same person. Could be I'm just some guy that runs a website about games.

Either way, I don't really care enough, I got SEQ up on my Virtual PC last night, but it appears the virtual driver doesn't support sniffing. Not gonna fight with it more than that.

Still, its fun to toy with.

Gullork
06-24-2004, 11:17 PM
You can't sniff with Virtual PC? Is this confirmed?

LordCrush
06-25-2004, 01:00 AM
No clue about Virtual PC, but it works great with VMWare

Perhaps is the stting of the virtual network driver wrong (not promiscous mode...)

Zanthor
06-25-2004, 01:31 AM
I didn't put a lot of effort into it, but running EQ and VirtualPC on the same box didn't give me any results with SEQ running on the VirtualPC.

Installed the same distro of linux on my 2nd pc, installed SEQ the same way, and we were in business. I'd wager its probably got more to do with windows passing the packets to the virtual PC the same way a switch does rather than the way a hub does... though I'm not up to speed on my network technology at that level.

I'd wager that if you setup SEQ on a virtual PC and setup that linux install to be your NAT box, you could get it working, but you'd have to do something like that to force windows to route the traffic through it.

Gullork
06-25-2004, 01:47 AM
I suppose that must be what's happening. I just installed Virtual PC on my second computer and setup linux and seq beta. Network monitor in seq is not showing any activity.