PDA

View Full Version : Major Slowdown since DX9 patch

Hendrix_Morton
03-28-2004, 11:08 AM
Howdy all,

Not sure whats up, but ever since that DX-9 patch last week, my SEQ instance is incredibly slow...When zoing in, it can take up to 2 min for SEQ to become active, and even then, when selecting a mob on the map, or even scrolling the mob list panel, it can take 30-45 seconds to get a response...

This is running on a Redhat 8 box with an Athlon-2000 with 512meg, so its not an underpowered box, and when I run SEQ, nothing else is running...

Any thoughts on things to check?

Thanks
>HM<

(Damn..I could have sworn I posted this inthe HELP section...Mods, please move there...Thanks..<HM>)

Cryonic
03-28-2004, 05:55 PM
I have no issues of slow down on 5.0.0.7 and the latest EQ client. Client side changes really shouldn't affect how SEQ behaves, only network changes (which there haven't been of late).

you really should take a look at top and see what is going on (and maybe check the network stats, ifconfig).

reaver
03-29-2004, 08:35 AM
No slowdowns here either.. Mandrake 9.2

junk
03-29-2004, 12:34 PM
I'd imagine it's your network connection. That's what I've narrowed it down to for me, although I might have a silghtly uncommon setup. My Linux box (Gentoo) is also my internet gateway. I have my EQ box, connected via 100Mbps LAN to the Linux box. I have my laptop connected to the Linux box via 11Mbps wireless 802.11b LAN. I run SEQ on my laptop through a Windows xserver - so it's running on my Linux box but displaying on my Windows laptop. I get the same problem with pauses. Every now and then (this is with 5.0.0.7) I'll see SEQ pause for a bit, then scroll by and update really fast all the data that had passed by for the past however long it was locked up. This doesn't ALWAYS happen, and I'm not sure if there are any zone events that I'm missing that cause it to happen.

Nstalkerga
03-30-2004, 06:40 AM
SEQ seems about the same ... but zone times in general seem to have about doubled for me ... least it seems that way :)

I can still me zoning into a train and being beat today ... for 5-10 seconds more than then normal times.

chud
03-30-2004, 09:20 AM
Actually, with beta 7 I've noticed that SEQ eventually comes to a crawl if I leave it running for several days (a week or so).

There seems to be a memory leak. When showeq is running slow memory usage is huge (lots of swapping) -- until I kill showeq (then memory usage returns to normal).

Granted this only happens after many many days of running showeq and is easily fixed by stopping and restarting it.

h0bbit
04-01-2004, 11:03 AM
definately getting the memory leak problem, takes about 3 days of running before mine has slowed to a crawl where eventually it stops updating and is "froze".

My system is pretty slow though so i'm sure that has some to do with it, runs fine first day or two though.

LordCrush
04-07-2004, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by h0bbit
definately getting the memory leak problem, takes about 3 days of running before mine has slowed to a crawl where eventually it stops updating and is "froze".

My system is pretty slow though so i'm sure that has some to do with it, runs fine first day or two though.

/nod

same problem here ... just restart seq and its fine again

Circles
04-07-2004, 09:05 AM
make sure after every patch to delete your exsisting .TXC files. (these are the texture compression files)

they often change what is in the globals, and more specificly their IDs, makeing these files invalid to some degree, and often bloated after they optimize.

LordCrush
04-07-2004, 01:41 PM
Hmm perhaps i got it wrong, but we are talking about seq here and not about the EQClient itself :cool:

Circles
04-11-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by LordCrush
Hmm perhaps i got it wrong, but we are talking about seq here and not about the EQClient itself :cool:

lol, thats what i get for posting entirely too late at night :)

(I think I'd given that answer about 100 times in game from people complaining about dx9, and just repeated myself)

evalsegaw
04-21-2004, 07:32 AM
I get the same problem with ShowEQ, unfortunately, but it slows down to a crawl within 15-30 minutes and completely locks my machine after about an hour (of course, it only has 256Mb of RAM). I'm running Debian unstable. Nice to hear that I'm not alone with my SEQ problem. ;)

dbrot
04-21-2004, 03:59 PM
My system slows down too but only after running for a couple of hours. I have never had SEQ crash on me from the slow downs. Just takes forever to select a name from the list or change targeted skittles.

I am running Suse 9 and SEQ 4.3.21

bonkersbobcat
04-21-2004, 05:35 PM
Are you sure that the "memory leak" you are experiencing isn't actually the messages log (channel messages)? Next time it "gets slow" you might try going to options and selecting clear channel messages.

LordCrush
04-21-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by dbrot
My system slows down too but only after running for a couple of hours. I have never had SEQ crash on me from the slow downs. Just takes forever to select a name from the list or change targeted skittles.

I am running Suse 9 and SEQ 4.3.21

I have SEQ 4.3.21 running on SUSE 7.2 + Patches and have no problems with it.
I have another system running SUSE 9.0 and SEQ 5.0.0.7. Here i have the same problems. 2 Days ago i patched my SUSE 9.0 with the live-software-update and now it seems to be running much better, but i had not much time to test it.

UncleBen
04-22-2004, 06:02 PM
I always have Gkreallm up to monitor my system and sometimes my CPU will go upto 80% load and higher, but IF I resisze the SEQ window, it will drop back down to 13% and stuff....So, I'd suggest resizing the window and see if that helps...I know it's not a perma fix, but it does seem to help me with bog downs ><

CybMax
05-18-2004, 10:16 AM
I kinda found i had some similar issues where SEQ would bog cpu 100% and everything was totally crap.. Menu's took like 10-20 seconds to open.. and such..

I found much of this would happen when zooming the map, or that the map was zoomed somehow..

So.. i tried to upgrade to QT 3.3.2-2, and that helped A LOT. I have barely had the problem after i recompiled with QT 3.3.2-2 (on RH 9.0), and everything seems in general a LOT smoother. Running 5.0.0.8 now, and have not had it happen since..

Not sure it will be a solution.. but could be sumtin to try imo.

PS. This was mostly happening with 5.x beta SEQ, and not with the 4.x version.

LordCrush
05-19-2004, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by CybMax
I kinda found i had some similar issues where SEQ would bog cpu 100% and everything was totally crap.. Menu's took like 10-20 seconds to open.. and such..

I found much of this would happen when zooming the map, or that the map was zoomed somehow..

So.. i tried to upgrade to QT 3.3.2-2, and that helped A LOT. I have barely had the problem after i recompiled with QT 3.3.2-2 (on RH 9.0), and everything seems in general a LOT smoother. Running 5.0.0.8 now, and have not had it happen since..

Not sure it will be a solution.. but could be sumtin to try imo.

PS. This was mostly happening with 5.x beta SEQ, and not with the 4.x version.

I know this behavior ... i will give it a try. Thank you :)