PDA

View Full Version : Versions 4+ and 5+

Nathar
04-01-2004, 03:25 AM
Ok, I've used ShowEQ for a long time (maybe almost as long as it has excisted I dunno) and I've not posted much on the boards of all this time though I do read them a lot.
Now that I'm here though I'd like to thank all of you who've made this great application available to us all - it simply rocks, no doubt about it, great job!

Anyway, as I stated I've used SEQ for a long time which means I started out with the Linux version as there were no other version available at the time.
Then I moved to MySEQ for a period of time because it seemed much easier (read faster) to update after EQ patches.

Reasently I've moved back to ShowEQ for several different reasons (one is the unfortunate monk who got cought or tricked into believeing he was cought - or whatever).

What I'm really interested in knowing is the differences between SEQ 4+ and SEQ 5+ (would like to know what's to gain from updating from v.4+ if anything at all other that great looks etc.).

I'm not expecting some long explanation here, just a simple link would do because I can't seem to find it. I bet somone has asked this before and if this post makes you all turn in your not yet dug graves then please ignore it and carry on :)

Cryonic
04-01-2004, 08:44 AM
To see what is new, Read the changes file:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/seq/showeq/CHANGES?content-type=text%2Fplain&rev=1.133.8.49

Nathar
04-02-2004, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the reply Cryonic. The new stuff as to what have changed etc. I was able to find.

I was thinking more in general like where the 2 are different... why was version 5 even issued when version 4 works like a charm... stuff like that.

Dedpoet
04-02-2004, 08:40 AM
Visually, 5 uses some new features of Qt that changes the docking ability of windows. Also, and what I think is great, is it allows you to have multiple text windows set up. You can direct any information you want to these windows - chat channels, zone info, spawn alerts, player info, skillups, spell messages, whatever. You can also customize every type of message that does and does not appear on the console.

It also uses your user's home directory to store any modifications you make to maps, filters, etc. This gives you the advantage of not having custom stuff overwritten if a file (a map for example) is updated in CVS, and not losing your own stuff if you wipe and re-install. It also gives some flexibility for those who might run seq as different users. Maybe your level 65 necro wants different filter files than your level 20 beastlord twink. You could have a login for each character that has different sets of filter files. Of course now, I'm just babbling.

On the internal side, from reading the changes file, it looks like the way packets are processed is quite different, but that's not anything you'll see.

I was cautious about beta5 and compiled it in a different location in case I didn't want to use it. By the time I had it all set up the way I liked, I was hooked.

uRit1u2CBBA=
04-02-2004, 12:33 PM
V4 will no longer have any new features implemented. It will only be patched to make it work again if an EQ patch breaks it (which the last 3 or 4 haven't).

V5 (currently in beta) will continue to have new features added, and will eventually get out of beta (which at that time I'd guess V4 will no longer be supported)

Nathar
04-04-2004, 05:59 PM
Thanks a lot guys, was stuff like this I was looking for... I just figured somone had already asked these questions.
But now you took your time answering it (again maybe) then this could be the link to questions in the future ;)