PDA

View Full Version : Network connections question

Ventrix
04-03-2004, 05:45 PM
Will the following network configuration work?

DSL Box
|
Hub
/ \
SEQ (EQ Comps)
In the install instructions it suggests a "Gateway NAT Device"; is that needed?

I am trying to link up me and my wife's EQ boxes to SEQ with least cost. I am confused on what the "Gateway NAT Device" is for. Is that functionality built into most DSL boxes?

Cryonic
04-03-2004, 07:56 PM
Yes, just make sure that hub is truly a hub. Most devices marketed today that say hub are really just cheap switches and WILL NOT WORK.

Ventrix
04-04-2004, 01:28 AM
I got my hub from a used computer store (PC Recycle) for $10.00. They seem to have a large inventory of 10-base hubs (non-switch of course).

uRit1u2CBBA=
04-04-2004, 08:49 AM
Sounds like it should work -- though you might want to get a router running NAT between the DSL Box and the hub, otherwise you'll use two IP addresses from your ISP, and could be charged extra for it.

If you have a router in the middle, the two IPs will be internal 192.168.x.x IP addresses, and use only one ISP issued IP address.

Cryonic
04-04-2004, 11:24 AM
Unlike cable, most of the DSL modems that I've dealt with do the NAT/routing themselves. Before you waste money on a router, check what your current IP address is and how you connect to the Net.

If you didn't have to do anything more than hooking your PCs NIC up to the network and got an IP address in the range of 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x then you are fine.

If you had to install software on the PC to connect to the Net, then the DSL box is just a bridge between the DSL copper and the Network protocols and you won't be able to sniff that traffic and get meaningful results (e.g. your connection is a PPPoE from the PC to the ISP).

Ventrix
04-05-2004, 12:53 AM
Yeah my DSL is PPPoE and looks like it won't work unless I buy a router or configure a linux box to do it. I hope I can get lucky at PC Recycle again :o

S_B_R
04-05-2004, 08:39 AM
PPPoE is bad Mmm'Kay

;)