PDA

View Full Version : Performance Questions

workhorse
04-29-2004, 02:10 PM
Hello folks -

First I'd like to thank everyone for their work on the SEQ project. It has truly made my gaming experience that much more enjoyable.

I am currently running v5.0.0.7 on a Celeron 500Mhz with 256MB of RAM and a 20 gig HD. Lately I have been experiencing some "lag" on the SEQ desktop, and was wondering what the optimum frame rate other SEQ users are using.

I have played with it a bit, but really don't see much difference from the 5fps default.

Also, are there are any tweaks out there in the program itself to help optimize performance?

Thanks for your time.

LordCrush
04-30-2004, 12:02 AM
There is a performance issue with 5007, and it has been talked about in another thread.

http://seq.sourceforge.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4771

What linux do you use ?

Dedpoet
04-30-2004, 07:59 AM
And for the record, framerate really doesn't matter too much. I use 3 myself, and it's plenty.

workhorse
05-02-2004, 09:46 AM
I use Redhat 9 and have started using KDE vice Gnome and it seems to be a tad better. Thanks for the thread link, gonna read through it and play around :)

LordCrush
05-02-2004, 02:26 PM
I use Suse 9.0 and i did patch it with the online Patcher. Since this it is much more performant :)

ATM i will try out Suse 9.1

:)

CybMax
05-02-2004, 03:00 PM
I just set up Linux a couple of weeks ago, this time using RedHat 9.

I have run all the patches aviable from RHN, and newest kernel.

No problems whatsoever using 4.3.21.. fast.. and i have used that for last couple of weeks. Then i decided i wanted to test the 5.0.0.7 code, and did a fresh CVS download, compile and install (after first make uninstall and deleting the /usr/local/share/showeq folder.. to be sure it is a clean 5.0.0.7 install).

Everything works, but after i would say 20 min or so.. it really starts to crawl.. I do the "resize" trick thingy mentioned in the other thread, and it seems to fix the lagg for a little while, but eg. zoning, or leaving it for another 20 minutes, and its back to lagg hell again :(

Dunno what causes this..

Btw. QT 3.1.1-6 (redhat RPM's, and not self compiled). Machine is a P3 500, 768MB ram.. using Gnome desktop. (I would really really prefer continue that if its possible.. heh)

Any hints?