PDA

View Full Version : More of a SuSE 9.0 problem, but ...

uRit1u2CBBA=
05-03-2004, 10:50 AM
I'vr grown to dislike RH/Fedoria, and I've tried gentoo, but couldn't get all of the packages loaded like I wanted, so I wanted to try out a different distro: SuSE 9.0.

I burnt the boot CD, told it to install everything via FTP source, and 6 hours later, I had a box I could log in to. I still had to track down one package so ./configure could run, but once I did it ran fine, and make && make install ran through fine.

When I tried to run SEQ, I get the following:

showeq: cannot connect to X server

It's running since I have KDE and Gnome running fine on it. (Unless that's unrelated -- I'm not exactly sure how X runs).

If anyone else has installed SuSE, did you have this problem too, and how did you fix it?

Thanks.

LordCrush
05-03-2004, 03:50 PM
Hi,

i run Suse too and i have seen this msg, but only in combination with VNC. I am not sure how i fixed it. I found a post somewhere that was about a VNC problem and connecting to X-Server.

Do you run VNC ? if you do try to start a 2nd session and start seq there, just a quick workaround.

I will try to find the post again.

uRit1u2CBBA=
05-03-2004, 04:21 PM
No idea .. I'm actually re-building the machine again with a more slimmed down set of options and repartitioned so I can put more than one distro in at a time to play with.

I should have things working again (or broken as the case may be) by late tonight, early tomorrow.

Dedpoet
05-04-2004, 08:12 AM
A silly question, but are you running as root?

For kicks, try typing "xhost +" on a command line before starting Seq.

jbconroe
05-20-2004, 11:32 AM
what did you have to download toget the ./configure to load properly ?

dbrot
05-26-2004, 05:08 PM
I run Suse 9.0 also and had this problem. I found a way to make it work.

Type the following in a terminal window:

su
(enter password)
XAUTHORITY=/home/(your username)/ .Xauthority; export XAUTHORITY
/usr/local/bin/showeq -i eth0 YYY.YYY.YYY.YYY

Y= your IP of the EQ computer

I have to do this everytime I want to run SEQ. I only have to press the up arrow to get the last commands I ran so you don't have to type this in everytime.