PDA

View Full Version : How to UPGRADE to BETA 5.0.0.7 for Dummies

keendevil
05-07-2004, 03:26 PM
Im sure many of you have read about and experienced CVS connection problems, or have been running a non-beta version of SHOWEQ up until the new patch FUBAR'd everything. I'll do my best to explain what I did to fix this, bare with me I'm also new to SHOWEQ, but I did my homework..

You'll notice I have posted previous posts asking for help, yet got no response and managed to figure it out myself... This isnt a guaranteed method, it is simply me trying to recap what I did last night in order to get showeq working with the 5-5 patch. I'll do my best to explain my findings :

I managed to get it to work after realizing that the FAQ doesnt use the extra " .seq " in the line used to connect to the CVS.. I'll try to explain :

IN THE ' SEQ CVS ' section (link found on the left side of the website) I found this (which i used to install the older version of Showeq)

The page gives examples on how to connect anonymously. This is where I found out that the line given on THIS page actually CONNECTS to the cvs, where as the line given to connect in the FAQ and on the main page do NOT work. Therefore I used this line. Here is the information from that page :

Anonymous CVS Access

This project's SourceForge.net CVS repository can be checked out through anonymous (pserver) CVS with the following instruction set. The module you wish to check out must be specified as the modulename. When prompted for a password for anonymous, simply press the Enter key. To determine the names of the modules created by this project, you may examine their CVS repository via the provided web-based CVS repository viewer.

cvs -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq login

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq co modulename

Information about accessing this CVS repository may be found in our document titled, "Basic Introduction to CVS and SourceForge.net (SF.net) Project CVS Services".

Updates from within the module's directory do not need the -d parameter.

NOTE: UNIX file and directory names are case sensitive. The path to the project CVSROOT must be specified using lowercase characters (i.e. /cvsroot/seq)

And on the main page, I found this (used to download the BETA 7 of showeq) :

ShowEQ 5 Beta 7 is should be available on the CVS pserver and the ViewCVS server in the pre_5_0_beta branch within the next few hours. To retrieve the latest beta from CVS use the following command:

code:
$ export CVSROOT=server:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq
$ cvs login
$ cvs co -r pre_5_0_beta showeq

So i put 2 and 2 together. I have been able to get the CVS to connect using the line given on the SEQ CVS page, and also download the older version of SHOWEQ using the same line as well. So i KNEW that cvs line worked, here it is if you dont know what im talking about :

# cvs -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq login

So after realizing line on the Showeq homepage did NOT work to connect to the CVS server, and the line used on the SEQ CVS page DID work, I used my brain (god forbid). I used the CORRECT line to connect to the CVS, and I used the information given on the HOMEPAGE to download BETA 5.0.0.7 of ShowEQ.

Here's what we have now :

CORRECT CONNECTION METHOD :

# cvs -z3 -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq co modulename

LINES GIVEN FOR DOWNLOADING BETA 5.0.0.7 :

$ export CVSROOT=server:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq
$ cvs login
$ cvs co -r pre_5_0_beta showeq

WHAT YOU NEED TO TYPE :

( it will ask for a password, just hit enter. It will then log in.) Then type :

# cvs -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq co -r pre_5_0_beta showeq

For those of you who wonder where i got the second line from, it's used in the SHOWEQ FAQ page in order to download the origional version of showeq, which is what im sure most of you used to begin with.

Notice how the .seq is not included though? There ya go now your getting it!

There's my 2 cents. The showeq Beta 5.0.0.7 will then proceed to download itself into a showeq directory. After this has finished, BEFORE you compile / install..or do ANYTHING.. you must READ THIS THREAD :

http://seq.sourceforge.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4814

What this means is go into your showeq/src/ directory and EDIT the file everquest.h , making the changes he has told you to make.

After you are done, do not run the CVS update again, don't connect to the CVS server at all or it will re-download everquest.h, overwriting your changes. Just proceed to compile and install just like you would normally do when you finish making changes.

There you go your showeq should be working..

Don't reply with your problems because I'm new to this as well, I'm just telling you what I did to get it working, it took a few hours of searching and trial / error to figure all of this out, so be glad I even bothered posting on the subject im not much of a message board poster, i just know how aggrivating it can be to do this if you've never done it before.

You're welcome, if i've made an error someone who does know what they're doing feel free to make a correction...

-Keen

keendevil
05-08-2004, 10:14 AM
I havn't gotten any feedback so I dont know wether or not to assume this is helping people or it's incorrect.. :confused:

Can anyone confirm that my information is correct?

Thanks
-Keen

CybMax
05-08-2004, 12:29 PM
You asked for feedback.. and here is mine :

Keep it simple, stupid - aka. KISS :)

If this is a : HOW TO BETA 5.0.0.7 for dummies

Then why list all those things that have changed and explain why or how it was changed.. its totally useless.. Why not make it "THIS IS IT".. end of story..

ie :

START :

# export CVSROOT=:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq
# cvs login
# cvs co -r pre_5_0_beta showeq

Edit the file acording to http://seq.sourceforge.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4814

# make -f Makefile.dist
# ./configure
# make
# make install

END

uRit1u2CBBA=
05-08-2004, 12:58 PM
I believe that the file has been edited and checked back into the cvs. So what you get out of cvs can be compiled as-is using all of your other steps given.

Freakyuno
05-08-2004, 01:35 PM
The patch described in the thread above is now in CVS. You may skip that step.

KISS Method:

START :

# cvs login
# make -f Makefile.dist
# ./configure
# make
# make install

uRit1u2CBBA=
05-08-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Freakyuno
The patch described in the thread above is now in CVS. You may skip that step.

KISS Method:

START :

# cvs login
# cd showeq
# make -f Makefile.dist
# ./configure
# make
# make install

If we are going to be precise about this, I've added a required "cd" since the line above it will create the showeq directory and place things there, not in the current folder.

keendevil
05-08-2004, 08:16 PM
Dont flame me I'm not fireproof you know

Just wanted to know if it worked

:mad:

CybMax
05-10-2004, 03:59 PM
I give you a :) for the initiative tho Keendevil!

Barshamm
05-27-2004, 11:23 AM
Good post Keen. My thanks, it was a big help on my first time and helped me understand a few things. You done good.