PDA

View Full Version : having two different versions of showeq on the same box

BadgerOne
06-21-2004, 01:52 PM
Doing the "make install" command copies one over the other, rendering both useless. Is there a way to tell the make command where to put a second copy ?

thanks
B1

Leetlewon
06-21-2004, 05:37 PM
Looks like showeq.spec

[/showeq]: grep /share/showeq *

CHANGES: at by LOGDIR, typically /usr/local/share/showeq, in order for spell
CHANGES: + Fixed an old crash in Filter::loadFilters() if /usr/local/share/showeq
CHANGES: which would typically result in "/usr/local/share/showeq/eqstr_en.txt",
CHANGES:them into /usr/local/share/showeq manually).
CHANGES:default location for this file to LOGDIR (/usr/local/share/showeq). Updated
INSTALL:/usr/local/share/showeq. make install is important, the program will not
INSTALL:be looked for in the local directory first, then the /usr/local/share/showeq
INSTALL.newbies:[]# cd /usr/local/share/showeq/
showeq.1:/usr/local/share/showeq/\&.
showeq.1:.IP /usr/local/share/showeq/
showeq.1:/usr/local/share/showeq/\&.
showeq.spec:%dir /usr/local/share/showeq/*

Tor K'tal
06-21-2004, 05:55 PM
make install one version, then go to the /usr/local/bin/ and type something like 'mv showeq showeq5b' or something of the sort and make install the second one. Then just execute the one you want to run (/usr/local/bin/showeq5b --ip-adddress=X.X.X.X).

You do have them in seperate source folders right?

Personally I have a showeq5 and showeq4 folders and then make the one that is working more favorably for me after a patch breaks it.

~ TK

Cryonic
06-21-2004, 06:48 PM
the Spec file is only if you are building an RPM of SEQ and has no impact when doing ./configure && make && make install

though you could utilize the various options of configure

./configure --help

BadgerOne
06-22-2004, 12:30 AM
looking into the ./configure help options.

I don't want to "make" the version I plan to use each time I change it. I'd like to have 2 working versions beside each other.

thanks for the suggestions so far.
B1

Tor K'tal
06-22-2004, 05:37 PM
What I suggested will allow you to do exactly that. If you compile both then you merrly need to rename the binary so that it isn't over writen when you compile the second one. I guess I wasn't clear about that.

~ TK

BadgerOne
06-23-2004, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by Tor K'tal
What I suggested will allow you to do exactly that. If you compile both then you merrly need to rename the binary so that it isn't over writen when you compile the second one. I guess I wasn't clear about that.

~ TK

the thing is, the /usr/local/share/showeq directory for the 2 Versions contain different files that aren't compatible.

Cryonic
06-23-2004, 09:24 AM
The incompatible files are ignored by the opposing version of SEQ. SEQ5 won't try to use the 4.x config file or filters, same with the 4.x client.

Tor K'tal
06-23-2004, 02:11 PM
SEQ5 uses ones in subdirectorys from /usr/local/shared/showeq/ or ~/.showeq/ like filters and maps and stuff, SEQ4 uses the ones clumped into one place of /usr/local/shared/showeq directory. A couple files might be in a place were the wrong one access it, but like Cyronic said, they get ignored and defaults are used.

~ TK

BadgerOne
06-24-2004, 01:26 AM
I tried to start the version 4.x with the directory structure from version 5.x and got alot of console output, this made me thinking of stuff not compatible and I got the impression it's not working, gonna check that again.

Thanks guys