PDA

View Full Version : IS SeQ dying

Choofer
07-05-2004, 01:49 AM
Just interested, is version 5 of SeQ basically the end. Seems to me since its been beta for, like forever, it's never really going to be completed.

Not that i mind, i really love the product and what you guys do for basically nothing, was just interested if we will keep going with these patches.

Just flying the subject for comment, have a great day.

Choof

BlueAdept
07-05-2004, 03:08 PM
Honestly....maybe. I believe Zaphod was the only remaining developer left. Ever since his pc died, havent seen or heard from him on the boards (I hear he still visits the IRC).

There are a few around that know enough (so far) to get SEQ working again after patches. But lets hope they dont screw with the encryption again.

An open project needs the help of EVERYONE to keep it alive.

Cryonic
07-05-2004, 03:54 PM
RL has gotten a lot of people in recent months (like Zaphod). He does show up in IRC, but only very briefly.

Others are still minorly engaged in the project, but I think that the few that are left around don't have CVS access, so, may be time to shutdown this project and if other devs want to keep it going they can take the latest code from CVS and start a new project on sf.net.

BlueAdept
07-06-2004, 07:47 AM
Im going to shoot Ratt a PM and see if I can get access to the CVS.

I am not a coder though. I havent done any programming in over 20 years but I could at least keep the cvs up to date with the patches.

I really hope SEQ doesnt die. I would honestly have to say that I would probably leave EQ if it did.

We need fresh blood that would take an intrest in the programming/fixing side of SEQ.

if other devs want to keep it going they can take the latest code from CVS and start a new project on sf.net

I think that is a BAD idea. It would be certain death to SEQ and probably to its spinoffs. If anyone is interested in becoming a developer, I would suggest talking to Ratt. It isnt like Ratt said NO ONLY ZAPHOD WILL BE THE DEV! I just think that no one has taken the time or effort to become a dev.

Choofer
07-07-2004, 06:27 PM
I'd have to agree with you blue, i'm not sure that i would want to play without the assist. of ShowEQ, the game is only holding my interest by the smallest of tenticle's as it is, loosing showeq would be the ned of my interest. Lets hope some good coders can take up the gauntlet and get it runing again.

Choof

Hobo
07-09-2004, 03:00 PM
Yup, I'd be one of those to quit EQ if ShowEQ went away. While I still like the game, I don't like it enough to play without ShowEQ...especially with all the new offerings coming out. For the first time in a long long while, there are actually some decent alternatives just around the corner.

Hobo

bonkersbobcat
07-10-2004, 11:28 AM
While I really don't have time to develop or add new stuff, I have been trying to at least commit code changes to CVS when possible. If people continue to post changes, I will try to get them into CVS. I don't have the ability to grant CVS access, but I think that the couple of folks that have been submitting valid fixes should be added to CVS.

BB

ksmith
07-11-2004, 12:41 AM
Well, I don't play everquest anymore (and haven't for a while). I think I've relased all the programs from my bag of tricks (most notably the implicit length table decoder (http://seq.sourceforge.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4855) ). I still hang out on irc and can point people in the right direction to fix changes on patch days, but understandably can't test any fixes.

Pascal7
07-11-2004, 07:54 AM
Well I'm a bit of a lightweight when it comes to C++ but I have a few books, and I'm willing to try to do some code. Really for me it is just getting use to the syntex again, and getting use to using the Linux box for more. (yes I do most stuff on a Win machine). Personnaly I would like to learn more, so should be fun.

BlueAdept
07-11-2004, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by bonkersbobcat
While I really don't have time to develop or add new stuff, I have been trying to at least commit code changes to CVS when possible. If people continue to post changes, I will try to get them into CVS. I don't have the ability to grant CVS access, but I think that the couple of folks that have been submitting valid fixes should be added to CVS.

BB

I know BB, I appreciate your help. Im just going to lend a hand. Since I have no life...I mean since I check the boards every day, I just thought that I might be able to keep things up to date a little better.

I am by no way a programmer, but am willing to try new code and to add it to the cvs when and if it is needed.

KSmith Thanks for the implicit length table decoder. Unfortuantely I havent used it and am not sure I would know what to do with it when I did use it.

What we need is a "How to get SEQ working for dummies" pdf. I know all the information has been posted before, the problem is just getting it all in one place. If anyone has time and wants to try to accomplish this monumental feat, Ill be happy to host the file.

Im just getting a little worried about OOW coming out. Even if they dont change the encryption, you can be sure they are going to do major packet restructuring. It will mean a lot of work for the few who can handle it. Im hoping that we can get a few more people intrested in the fixing aspect of the project.

Althalus
07-11-2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by BlueAdept
KSmith Thanks for the implicit length table decoder. Unfortuantely I havent used it and am not sure I would know what to do with it when I did use it.

I believe the perl script is to be run with the latest eqgame.exe file as input. This should generate the implicit length table. The opcode/length pairs displayed in the table are meant to be used to update the values in zoneopecodes.xml. When I just tried it, it failed with

Unknown opcode: 004D

I'll have to break out my Intro. to Perl book and see if I can find out why it's failing.

Originally posted by ksmith
I just ran the zoneopcodes.xml through a perl script to re-number the opcodes based on the changes to the implicitlen table.

Has this code been posted? If not, can you?

thanks

RebelWithCause
07-11-2004, 11:30 AM
As long as SOE doesn't make really fundamental changes that are purposely meant to defeat SEQ, I think we'll be OK. I too am a programmer, and I'm willing to assist as needed. I haven't worked in C++ for a long time, and never on Linux using QT, but I'll figure it out if I have to. If we work together, we can keep it running. :)

sea4th
07-15-2004, 11:56 AM
Link to KSMITHS implicit length decoder results in

Warning: Failed opening '/home/groups/s/se/seq/htdocs/forums/showthread.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in Unknown on line 0

Anyone else have a link that works?

fester
07-15-2004, 04:53 PM
Link to KSMITHS implicit length decoder results in

Warning: Failed opening '/home/groups/s/se/seq/htdocs/forums/showthread.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in Unknown on line 0

Anyone else have a link that works?

change the link to be on www.showeq.net instead of seq.sf.net.

trustno1
07-16-2004, 06:36 AM
I am one that would also no longer be playing EQ without SEQ. On the rare occasions that SEQ is not working, I find myself not logging in at all. It's like losing my sight or another of my senses. I feel SO handicapped.

Kudos to all the Devs, and a HUGE thank you!

trustno1

User since 1999

QuerySEQ
07-16-2004, 08:06 AM
SEQ helps me to help other people.

When I first got SEQ, it was because of lost corpses, and the GM's not able to answer a petition before the corpses rez timer expired...

Since then, I can find corpses, locate lost players ( yes...even with the new cartography in the game, they still get flaming lost ).

It also has helped me guide members of my guild to where we are... (left... right.. go straight.. wait, there is a wandering mob there... okay, all clear.. RYAO... run your ass off).

Very seldom do I use it to locate a specific mob. On those rare occasions, its proven invaluable to setup a raid.

Without SEQ, there is no doubt that Everquest will fall down.. Why? because, so many of the players have NO clue as to what is going on, how to get somewhere or what. Without US.. the users of SEQ, to help them out.. they would be lost.

Maybe, SOE should consider 'sponsoring' seq devs... would save their community.

Compared to the rest of the EQ Community.. WE are the Elite.. We know the game (for the most part) better than anyone. We know the 'secrets' hidden in the game. (Well, those that understand a little bit of how SEQ works that is)

Thankfully.. we all can help. By learning how SEQ works, trying to discover OP Codes and Structs.. and just providing that to the DEVS.

If some of you more knowledgable folks are interested, why not create a forum... that helps those of us that would like to be the "hunters", get those opcodes.. structs and updates.. I figure.. the more of us looking for OpCodes after a patch and submitting them, the easier the job would be for the DEVs, and the quicker the updates can hit SEQ. That way... the devs can work on some of the "bells and whistles" people are asking about.

As always.. Thank you to Ratt for providing this place.. and all you Devs and "Hunters" out there for keeping the project going.

UnGod
07-16-2004, 10:59 AM
On the rare occurance post-patch when SEQ isn't working, I am usually online, but not doing anything.. As I am figuring out new opcodes/structs/etc.

I shudder at the thought of EQ without SEQ, When I fire up other games (cstrike, NWN, etc) I find myself instinctivly looking to my left for my SEQ display, and feel lost without it. (sad isn't it?)

I can play without it, but why play, when I can work out how to fix it, and have fun in the process? (and a lot more caffiene and smokes than are ever good for a single human being)

As long as I am still playing EQ, I will continue to provide new structs/opcodes/what have you, when time allows.

Of course, if they mess with encryption again, thats a bit beyond my comprehension.

BlueAdept
07-16-2004, 04:24 PM
As much as Sony hates to admit it, SEQ has HELPED the Everquest community. Look at all the things that SEQ had that got put into Everquest.

Maps (to top it off, most of the in game maps were converted from SEQ)
Buff Timers
the Find button

I know there is more, but I cant think of them now.

I also know that without SEQ, they would have lost a lot of users by now. EQ was fun, but I dont think I would still be playing (after 5 years) if it wasnt for SEQ.

Alethal
08-05-2004, 09:24 AM
I am a QT developer under Linux (not profesionally but as a hobby) and have some decent basics in assembly. I have used SEQ alot and made a few UI patches for my own version but never released them nor took part in the "community". I stopped EQ a while ago but I am considering falling back into the god damn addiction.

Assuming I start playing again, if improvements are needed to the UI or bugs not related to the encryption have to be fixed, I will contribute as much as I can. It's not a promise of any sort but just a "eh, I *might* help". The good side is that, imho, ShowEQ code is quite clear. It is not a pain to maintain.

If any major change is made into encryption scheme, I doubt I would have the skill to fix it or the time to learn how to do it though.

Have fun.