PDA

View Full Version : new patch on 7/14, spawns not updating again.

granai
07-14-2004, 03:00 PM
im assuming this happened to everyone?

what do i need to do to get the spawns to update again...or do i need to wait for a dev to release an update?

thanks

Hedge
07-14-2004, 03:41 PM
I am assuming some of the OpCodes have changed so we will need to wait until the devs release the new ones so we can make the changes to our xml files.

Cryonic
07-14-2004, 03:42 PM
Why do the devs have to do it? Expand, Explore and learn for yourself how to do it...

granai
07-14-2004, 03:58 PM
that was part of my question....anything i can do to figure out what needs to be changed in the zoneopcodes.xml file and change it?

Hedge
07-14-2004, 04:10 PM
If everybody here could expand explore and figure out for themselves how to do it then there would be no need for this board or these types of communities now would there.

RebelWithCause
07-14-2004, 08:57 PM
Nice to see that things are back to normal. :)

ksmith
07-14-2004, 10:07 PM
If everybody here could expand explore and figure out for themselves how to do it then there would be no need for this board or these types of communities now would there.

I'll not have people justifying learned helplessness.

Depending on how busy things are at work, I'll get started on a new "how to fix things on patch day" guide for ShowEQ 5.x.

The real short version is that two things can change with a patch: opcodes and structs. The first step is to make sure that you've got the right opcodes (a simple test to see if they've changed is if showeq works at all). If showeq isn't working, then it's time to compare the implicit length tables from before and after the patch. From the changes in the implicit length table, you can start guessing how the opcodes got moved around. From that point, it's mostly trial and error and a good bit of deduction (this really deserves an entire chapter). Once you've got the opcodes fixed, then it's time to move on to checking the structs. In the console window that you started showeq from, you will see size mismatch errors if the struct showeq is receiving is not the same size as it expected. The simplest thing to try once you've found a mismatch is to add padding to the end of the struct in everquest.h. If showeq isn't complaining about size mismatches but the information seems strange, it's time to dump the zone log and actually look at the contents of the packet and figure out where things got moved around inside the struct.

(and that's the short version)

Pascal7
07-15-2004, 10:04 AM
Woot! A guide!
I'll be looking forward to seeing that. Reading it multiple times, and hopefully becoming a useful member of the community. :)

Hedge
07-15-2004, 12:00 PM
Now see that is more like it.

Depending on how busy things are at work, I'll get started on a new "how to fix things on patch day" guide for ShowEQ 5.x.

This is exactly what I meant by my post. Some people on these board have a tendancy to be elitist and vauge on purpose and say "Go figure it out on your own" instead of actually trying to help teach somebody something like ksmith is doing here. Thanks ksmith I just wish there were more like you and less of the go figure it out on your own types. There are plenty of people here that are willing to learn but just not sure how to learn it without somebody first teaching it to them. Everybody here learned what they know from somebody else. That is the way education works 99% of the time.