PDA

View Full Version : Invalid Packets?

Zandramas
07-23-2004, 12:49 PM
I did a fresh install of reahat 9, made sure everything was installed, did the updates, cvs in to download the program, compiled and installed and setup..
When I load showeq I get some errors about missing files and then invalid packets.

Unable to open file: /root/.showeq/showeq.xml!
Seems I have no config file, or it cant be found..

Info: No Map found for zone 'unknown'!
Info: Checked for all varians of 'unknown.map', and 'unknown_1.txt'
Info in directories '/root/.showeq/maps' and '/usr/local/share/showeq/maps'!

Warning: EQStr: Failed to open '/usr/local/share/showeq/eqstr_us.txt'

I might just need showeq.xml because its not in my showeq directory..
Maybe I missed something in the 1000 times I went through the site, but I did a search for these errors and came up with nothing..
Any help please!

Cleric
07-23-2004, 02:23 PM
Based on the last line, you need to copy over your eqstr_us.txt (and possibly spells_us.txt) file from the files on your EQ pc and put them in the shared directory for showeq.

I get a lot of invalid packet errors when I first login, mainly from the login "lobby", once I get into the game it goes away.

Zandramas
07-23-2004, 03:05 PM
Ok, I got rid of all errors except

Warning: GuildMgr: Could not load guildsfile, /root/.showeq/tmp/guilds2.dat

Info: Checked for all variants of 'unknown.map', 'unknown.txt', and 'unknown_1.txt'
Info: in directories '/root/.showeq/maps' and '/usr/local/share/showeq/maps'!

I cant find guilds2.dat in my EQ folder or anywhere on the linux machine.
And why is it looking for unknown maps... I cant find those file anywhere..
Let me try this.. Thanks for that help. :)

Zandramas
07-23-2004, 03:26 PM
Just want to say that im using elcheapo hub and can sniff packets with snort from eq..
showeq loads up and just sits there. Im not sure if its because of the errors above, or if I need to "trigger" it somehow.
I zone, I load maps... im dumb.

Walpurgiss
07-23-2004, 03:42 PM
does snort automatically for it's own use move your NIC into promiscuous mode, or do you manually set that with ifconfig before using snort?

If the latter, you might try manually setting your NIC to operate in promiscuous mode. I've found that on real hubs, that usually is what I have to do.

Currently I'm using a router switch though, so promiscuous mode doesn't really work. Had to put second NICs into both machines and have the linux box perform the NAT and IP forwarding to the windows box so it would see the EQ packets.

give it a shot.

ifconfig eth0 promisc
ifconfig eth0 -promisc

to enable/disable just in case you need it :)

replace eth0 with whatever your network interface on the same hub as the EQ box is labeled.

Zandramas
07-23-2004, 04:20 PM
It was running in promisc mode.. However, I did get it to work...
According to the instructions, they told me NOT to use a linksys hub or a switch.. So I have a linksys router and I purchased a Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/100 5-port hub model# NH1005...
Uppon further investigation of the user's manual, I find its made by Linksys...
I dont know why Snort worked, but showeq did not.. I went to a friends house and borrowed his OLD SCHOOL hub from like 5 years ago, and BAM, it works..
The funny thing is, that it worked this morning via the linksys hub..
Maybe a coincidence....
But its all 100% now..
Thanks for the info, and thanks for giving me advice on the files from the EQ folder. If it was not for my crap hub, this would have been a smooth install for me. Rock on developers...

Dedpoet
07-26-2004, 10:22 AM
Warning: GuildMgr: Could not load guildsfile, /root/.showeq/tmp/guilds2.dat

Info: Checked for all variants of 'unknown.map', 'unknown.txt', and 'unknown_1.txt'
Info: in directories '/root/.showeq/maps' and '/usr/local/share/showeq/maps'!

The first error has been fixed with a small patch made by UnGod, which is available toward the bottom of page 5 of this thread (http://www.showeq.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4909&page=5).

The other messages that you are getting are normal. When you first start Seq, you're not in any particular zone, which is why it shows the zone as unknown and cannot find a map for it. If you watch the terminal when you zone, you will see similar messages identifying the zone name and loading the appropriate map.

Backspace
07-27-2004, 08:02 AM
The first error has been fixed with a small patch made by UnGod, which is available toward the bottom of page 5 of this thread (http://www.showeq.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4909&page=5).

The other messages that you are getting are normal. When you first start Seq, you're not in any particular zone, which is why it shows the zone as unknown and cannot find a map for it. If you watch the terminal when you zone, you will see similar messages identifying the zone name and loading the appropriate map.
I've read and applied the patch referenced in above link. Still gettting "guild2.dat" error. It wont build it, and when I tried to copy the "guild2.dat" file from my EQ client to /root/.showeq/tmp, I get a file size mismatch error. It's no big deal really. Ony thing it seems to do is not provide the guild tag when looking at a PC. Instead I just see a number.

Again, no big deal, just annoying when you know something is broke. Could use some advise. Thanks.

P.S. Tried the patch "after" a fresh download and install of 5.0.0.11