PDA

View Full Version : Install guide for 5.0.0.11 ShowEq

Zandramas
07-25-2004, 01:29 PM
Install a fresh version of Redhat Linux 9.0 with all packages <this is the easiest way, you dont need all packages tho, this method takes 6gb>. Be sure to select to have NO FIREWALL. This can sometimes complicate things, and if your using the pc only for showeq, its not a issue for security.

Once linux is installed, go into terminal mode and be sure to login with your root account..
From the root directory type the following commands in this order.
# cvs -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq login
When asked for a password, just hit enter <THERE IS NO PASSWORD>.
# cvs -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq co
<the smiley faces are (: p) > with no spaces or brackets.
showeq
# cd showeq
# make -f Makefile.dist
# ./configure
# make && make install
# showeq <-----This will start showeq.

You may get errors.. This is ok. The program looks for files in various locations on your system.. Lucky for you, XWINDOWS will make this very easy. You need to add a file <sometimes 2, so lets add both to be safe> from your Windows Pc's everquest folder..
Copy the files eqstr_us.txt and spells_us.txt to your showeq directory in linux.
Then make a directory in linux..
/usr/local/share
Copy the whole showeq directory to this /usr/local/share directory.
It should show /usr/local/share/showeq
You can now exit from the terminal, and RUN the command <showeq> or run the command showeq from the terminal mode in the /root/showeq directory.

Load EQ, and zone in.. If you have the proper hardware <hub> this should be fine. Do NOT use a router unless its uplinked to your hub and the EQ and SHOWEQ pc's are connected to the hub. Hub's allow packets to be broadcast and that's what showeq needs.

Enjoy.. This is exactly what I did to get mine to work..
Procedure from start to finish is about 2 hours max.
Happy hunting.

kyblze
07-26-2004, 08:35 PM
I followed your instructions exactly when it was finished i compiled 4.3.22 not 5.0.0.11 did i do something wrong with CVS

Zandramas
07-26-2004, 11:35 PM
You can try using these instructions.. Both shall work fine. I dont know why you got the older version.

This is the change
export CVSROOT=:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq
cvs login (just hit return when asked for password)
cvs co -r pre_5_0_beta showeq
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Install a fresh version of Redhat Linux 9.0 with all packages <this is the easiest way, you dont need all packages tho, this method takes 6gb>. Be sure to select to have NO FIREWALL. This can sometimes complicate things, and if your using the pc only for showeq, its not a issue for security.

Once linux is installed, go into terminal mode and be sure to login with your root account..
From the root directory type the following commands in this order.
<the smiley faces are (: p) > with no spaces or brackets.
# cd showeq
# make -f Makefile.dist
# ./configure
# make && make install
# showeq <-----This will start showeq.

You may get errors.. This is ok. The program looks for files in various locations on your system.. Lucky for you, XWINDOWS will make this very easy. You need to add a file <sometimes 2, so lets add both to be safe> from your Windows Pc's everquest folder..
Copy the files eqstr_us.txt and spells_us.txt to your showeq directory in linux.
Then make a directory in linux..
/usr/local/share
Copy the whole showeq directory to this /usr/local/share directory.
It should show /usr/local/share/showeq
You can now exit from the terminal, and RUN the command <showeq> or run the command showeq from the terminal mode in the /root/showeq directory.

Load EQ, and zone in.. If you have the proper hardware <hub> this should be fine. Do NOT use a router unless its uplinked to your hub and the EQ and SHOWEQ pc's are connected to the hub. Hub's allow packets to be broadcast and that's what showeq needs.

Enjoy.. This is exactly what I did to get mine to work..
Procedure from start to finish is about 2 hours max.
Happy hunting.

kyblze
07-27-2004, 01:35 PM
That worked thanks

Zandramas
07-27-2004, 03:14 PM
My 2nd post is going to be the best method of install.
Glad it works.
Happy hunting.

jarula
07-30-2004, 07:08 PM
make sure you do a
cvs logout

after the cvs co -r pre_5_0_beta showeq to release the logins back to others trying to get in

this could be a good reason why some people have a hard time because there are too many people logged in using resources

Circles
08-02-2004, 04:46 PM
Zandramas, edit your post.. below the edit window (you probly need ot scroll down) is additional options. in there is a check box... Disable smiles in text. that will make it display without converting the text.

:P =D ;)

mutalib
08-04-2004, 10:09 AM
Great post Zand! I've been trying to get SEQ to work with SuSE for a few days, and once I installed RedHat and followed your post, SEQ fired right up. Thanks

Zandramas
08-04-2004, 02:38 PM
Hey, no problem.. Glad I could help..

Also, I know ive edited posts in the past, but I dont remember how to do it.. Its not easily found! Why isnt the "EDIT" button near my older posts?

Wakarimasen
08-04-2004, 03:32 PM
This is an excellent walkthrough...

is there a walkthrough for how to upgrade from 5.0.0.11 to 5.0.0.12? :-p

Zandramas
08-05-2004, 07:53 AM
When did a new version come out? 5.0.0.11 is all I know about.. Pls advise, and I can make a guide no problem.

bombyx
08-08-2004, 04:49 AM
I have problem of install Seq to Fedora?, QT is 3.3, gcc 3.4
error message appear when make, did anyone done install in fedora 2?

silicon_ogre
08-08-2004, 09:13 AM
ok - I've followed the instructions even with the updated export CVSROOT commands and every time it installs I'm still only getting ShowEQ 4.3.22. I've tried deleting the folders from the original build, then pulling everything down fresh yet I'm only getting 4.3.22.

What am I doing wrong?

Any help would be wonderful.

Zandramas
08-08-2004, 05:56 PM

Is all you need to do to get the current version..
Try to re-install your OS as a quick rule out of there being any other issue.

Zandramas
08-08-2004, 05:57 PM
I have problem of install Seq to Fedora?, QT is 3.3, gcc 3.4
error message appear when make, did anyone done install in fedora 2?
It just did not work for me with the Fedora core, any version..
Redhat 9 has exactly what you need..

fratedog
08-11-2004, 09:54 AM
Zand,

I followed your code and it seemed to work fine but when I tried to run Showeq it comes up with

Fatal: Couldn't find seqdef.xml
Did you remember to do 'make install'

Yes I did 'make install' and I see the file in the conf directroy.

What can I do now??

Thanks

rathric
08-13-2004, 08:06 AM
yeah, I installed seq in fedora core2 on my laptop withouth any problems...of course, I had to do a little tweaking to the pcmcia wait states, but other than that .. works fine. using gcc34 and qt33.

Rath

Zandramas
08-15-2004, 02:26 AM
Did you remember to do 'make install'
Thanks Try it again. Make sure to copy around what needs to be copied..
Should have no problems on a fresh "full" install of redhat 9.

Hal
08-16-2004, 03:50 PM
I am trying to configure ShowEq I have a full version of Fedora Core installed, I am gettiing the same error as others.. I did the make install and everything else without any errors at all..

until I move the seqdef.xml file around

once i do that i get a different error message..

Using config file '/usr/local/share/showeq/showeq.xml'
Loaded preferences file: /usr/local/share/showeq/seqdef.xml!
Unable to open file: /usr/local/share/showeq/showeq.xml!
Warning: Error loading '/usr/local/share/showeq/worldopcodes.xml'!

I did the install exactly as Zandramas posted, only not using Red Hat 9 because I don't know where to get it, www.redhat.com (http://www.redhat.com) doesnt distribute Red Hat 9 anymore, only Red Hat Enterprise.. they list Red Hat 9 as no longer avalible for sale, does anyone know how to make this work with Fedora or where I could get a copy of Red Hat 9 at now? Thank you for your help...

<Edit>
Also wanted to add that I followed the first post by Zandramas and downloaed the older version 4, I was able to install and open this without any errors, but couldnt get it to work, so I came back and tried the newer version of 5.0.0.11 and am now having this problem.. I am using a network config of: DSL Modem --->> Router -->> Hub -->> Linux Comp\EQ Comp
Thank you
Hal

-=<Someone trying to learn>=-

2XS
08-16-2004, 04:53 PM
Hey Hal, do a Google search for Red Hat 9. I found several sites that had ISOs of Red Hat 9. Burn them to 3 CDs and yer off and running.

And awesome "How To" Zan, much thanks.

2XS

Zandramas
08-17-2004, 06:55 AM
Yeah, your going to want redhat 9 because it comes with exactly what you need. Fedora is more.... how can I put it.. touched by the public and has a lot of revisions to things. It can work, but you must know linux well..

Be sure you edit everquest.h before you make install or ./configure or any of that. After you do the CVS commands, the location is showeq/src/everquest.h
And unless you downloaded 5.0.0.12, you need to do this.. Check the file anyways to be sure.

Merely go to roughly line 475 in everquest.h and change this line...

from this
/*0520*/ uint8_t unknown0520[76]; // *** Placeholder
to this
/*0520*/ uint8_t unknown0520[152]; // *** Placeholder

ttanis
08-17-2004, 02:19 PM
Ok. I am having some problems installing ShowEQ here is my situation:

I have a Red Hat 9.0 box working with the last 2.4 kernal. I am using a R40 IBM laptop with integrated graphics card.

Specificly my error comes from the Qt Devel rpm. When I ask the computer to ./configure it goes through the list and gets to Qt, but

checking for Qt... yes
>> Found version. : 3.2.3
>>> Headers........: /usr/lib/qt-x11-free-3.2.3/include/
>>>> Libraries......: Unable to locate?!?
configure: error: Please verify your Qt lib install!

so I #echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH and get this /usr/lib/qt-x11-free-3.2.3/lib

If you have any suggestions or need more information please let me know.

Thanks!

Hal
08-17-2004, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the help, I was able to find RedHat9 and install it without any errors...

now i am having a new problem tho.. when I configure showeq to run I get nothing... I tell it to monitor my EQ Client IP address and I get nothing

if I tell it to monitor next EQ client seen I get error messages in my terminal window

Warning: INVALID PACKET: Bad CRC32 [192.168.123.254:1900 -> 239.255.255.250:1900] seq 5449 len 324 crc32 (0d0a0d0a != 639a14a8)
Warning: INVALID PACKET: Bad CRC32 [192.168.123.254:1900 -> 239.255.255.250:1900] seq 5449 len 270 crc32 (0d0a0d0a != a713f625)
Warning: INVALID PACKET: Bad CRC32 [192.168.123.254:1900 -> 239.255.255.250:1900] seq 5449 len 322 crc32 (0d0a0d0a != 6a4a545d)
Warning: INVALID PACKET: Bad CRC32 [192.168.123.254:1900 -> 239.255.255.250:1900] seq 5449 len 316 crc32 (0d0a0d0a != 386ddd89)

and many more with the len # changing everytime along with the != ### changing also...
192.168.123.254 is the ipaddress for my local firewall... not my EQ client...

any suggestions?

Thanks
Hal

-=<Someone trying to learn>=-

Zandramas
08-17-2004, 08:51 PM
Looks like you might not be able to sniff the packets. Make sure to use a hub only between EQ machine and SEQ machine. Put firewall/router on uplink port. Do not use a Linksys router or another brand name made by them, they will never work.

Simon
08-20-2004, 02:01 AM
Had it running on fresh Fedora core 1 before and on 2 now. Did a complete install though just to make sure I wouldn't miss anything and never had any problems compiling.

Devine
08-26-2004, 06:26 PM
I am having trouble with the # make && make install command. It says no target specified and no makefile found. Stop. I am running Mandrake, and running the command from the folder. Any suggestions>?

Simon
08-27-2004, 01:32 AM
Devine, did you ./configure ?

D-Man
08-27-2004, 10:10 AM
Hi...

I have installed showeq on a redhat 9.0 machine wihtout any probs... i can start showeq but he can't find a running eq session. My windows xp (sp1) machine also don't answer if i send a broadcast (ping 192.168.1.255 -b) otherwise when i send a broadcast from the windowsmachine the linux machine can be found.
I deactivated also the firewall on the windows machine but nothing changed.

Networkdesign is as follow: DSL-Modem->Router->Hub->Windows/Linux

Hope somebody can help me..

THx D-Man

!!! ok i jsut found out that i have a netgear switch not a hub.. lame ... so i can't us SEQ :( !!!

Thendar
08-27-2004, 12:12 PM
I manage to navigate past the ./configure errors with Mandrake 10.0, but now have a bigger problem:

[root@localhost showeq]# make && make install
make all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/showeq'
Making all in maps
make[2]: Entering directory `/showeq/maps'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/showeq/maps'
Making all in src
make[2]: Entering directory `/showeq/src'
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/usr/lib/qt3//include -I/usr/X11R6/include -DPKGDATADIR=\"/usr/local/share/showeq/\" -I/usr/include/pcap -D_REENTRANT -O2 -Wall -g -ggdb -DDEBUG -finline-functions -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT=1 -DDISPLAY_ICONS=false -DICON_DIR=\"/eq-icons/\" -c main.cpp
In file included from itemdb.h:20,
from main.cpp:44:
gdbmconv.h:24:18: gdbm.h: No such file or directory
In file included from itemdb.h:20,
from main.cpp:44:
gdbmconv.h:105: error: 'GDBM_FILE' is used as a type, but is not defined as a type.
gdbmconv.h:108: error: 'datum' is used as a type, but is not defined as a type.
make[2]: *** [main.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/showeq/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/showeq'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

Any suggestions?

purple
08-27-2004, 12:20 PM
You don't have gdbm.

Thendar
08-27-2004, 12:27 PM
I gathered that much =)

file:/mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS/libgdbm2-1.8.0-24mdk.i586.rpm

This was on the official Mandrake 10 distro, and when I run the software installer on it, I get the message that "Everything ALready Installed".

Any other suggestions? :)

reaver
08-27-2004, 01:22 PM
You need the devel version:

libgdbm2-devel-1.8.0-24mdk.i586.rpm

See my post about Mandrake 10 at:

http://www.showeq.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4757

-reaver

the2ndone
09-02-2004, 11:46 PM
ok Im a total noob to linux but i did get thru all the steps but the make the /usr/local/share it says dir exsist
now when i copy the showeq dir to the /usr/ dir it says i cant copy to this folder
I know I'm not in the admin mode because I dont know how to login to it?
well thats where im stuck sorry for such a noobish question but we all have to start some where.
thanks

Zandramas
09-03-2004, 07:44 AM
Sorry I havent responded in a few days..
Guys, make sure your using hubs to communicate from windows to linux and its not a switch/hub or a linksys hub.. Those wont work.

Also, make sure to be logged in as root.. Administrator rights.

the2ndone
09-04-2004, 02:57 PM
yep im useing a hub its an old 24 hp hub

my problem is i dont know how to log into the admin account on my linux
i tryed to reinstall to see if i missed some thing and im useing mandrake 9.0 with all packs installed

uRit1u2CBBA=
09-04-2004, 11:10 PM
You're going to need to be in root or the packet sniffer isn't going to have access to the packets.

If you don't know the root password, you'll have to re-install your linux distro and remmeber what you set it at when it asks for it.

Someone may have more of a "hacker" approach that won't require a re-install, but it sounds like you're not ready for that yet. re-install is much easier.

the2ndone
09-05-2004, 12:26 AM
lol no im not ready for any linux hacking and i do know the root password
but im a total linux noob lol.
im just not sure where and how to log in to the root account

purple
09-05-2004, 09:19 AM
su -

(Padded to pass the lameness filter!)

sniper911
09-23-2004, 04:08 PM
ok, excuse my newbness but this is all new to me. Doesn anyone have a package assembled that i can just unzip and run, and have all this crap installed autiomatically ? Just a thought.... Thanx

uRit1u2CBBA=
09-24-2004, 01:42 AM
ok, excuse my newbness but this is all new to me. Doesn anyone have a package assembled that i can just unzip and run, and have all this crap installed autiomatically ? Just a thought.... Thanx

Welcome to the fun world of Linux -- half the fun is compiling your own programs :D

Zaphod
09-24-2004, 06:15 PM
Well, the new ShowEQ-5.0.0.15 is being distributed as a tarball and has packages for Debian, Slackware, and Gentoo. So...

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

MacLeod22
10-22-2004, 05:51 PM
I'm trying to follow the directions in the first post here and I am using Redhat 9 and I can't seem to get it to "make -f Makefile.dist" I keep getting a message that asks if that is what I really want to do and if it is then I should use the 'help' target of this makefile to see a list of its supported targets. I just don't know how to do that and I can't seem to find the correct search term to find a post on it here.

uRit1u2CBBA=
10-22-2004, 06:33 PM
I think starting with the .15 tarball, you no longer need to run make -f makefile.dist.

You can just jump to the ./configure and make steps.

MacLeod22
10-23-2004, 05:44 PM
Ok IK got the tarball and ./configured it but when I try to make it gives me this error. I'll put the whole thing it's not too long.

make all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/root/showeq-5.0.0.15'
Making all in src
make[2]: Entering directory `/root/showeq-5.0.0.15/src'
if g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/usr/lib/qt-3.1/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -DPKGDATADIR=\"/usr/local/share/showeq/\" -I/usr/include/pcap -D_REENTRANT -O2 -Wall -g -ggdb -DDEBUG -finline-functions -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT=1 -DDISPLAY_ICONS=false -DICON_DIR=\"/eq-icons/\" -MT main.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/main.Tpo" -c -o main.o main.cpp; \
then mv -f ".deps/main.Tpo" ".deps/main.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/main.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
if g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/usr/lib/qt-3.1/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -DPKGDATADIR=\"/usr/local/share/showeq/\" -I/usr/include/pcap -D_REENTRANT -O2 -Wall -g -ggdb -DDEBUG -finline-functions -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT=1 -DDISPLAY_ICONS=false -DICON_DIR=\"/eq-icons/\" -MT spawn.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/spawn.Tpo" -c -o spawn.o spawn.cpp; \
then mv -f ".deps/spawn.Tpo" ".deps/spawn.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/spawn.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
spawn.cpp: In destructor `virtual Item::~Item()':
spawn.cpp:145: internal error: Segmentation fault
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <URL:http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/> for instructions.
make[2]: *** [spawn.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/showeq-5.0.0.15/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/showeq-5.0.0.15'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Much thanks to anyone who can help me get this running, oh and I am running Redhat 9.0

uRit1u2CBBA=
10-23-2004, 09:19 PM
What version of gcc do you have?

Since it looks like the compiler crashed vs. a compilation error happened, it may be from bad memory, swap not being large enough, or some other odd-ball thing.

MacLeod22
10-24-2004, 12:18 AM
I have redhat 9 and I think it says, if I did it right, gcc version 3.2.2? Does that sound right?

purple
10-24-2004, 07:18 AM
A simple search yielded a lot of threads similar to this with some suggestions. Feel free to read one:
http://www.showeq.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3926&highlight=internal+error

Also, you may wanna start a new thread with your problem in it instead of cluttering up and bumping this outdated instruction list. This person seems to be having a problem incredibly similar to yours:
http://www.showeq.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5111

Freakyuno
10-25-2004, 08:03 AM
Sorry to bump an old thread, but the cvs information is now out of date, and I had no trouble at all getting the tarballs to work on Fedora Core 2