PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Setup?

Pascal7
07-27-2004, 06:34 AM
Hi all,

Just was wondering if it would be possible to use ShowEQ on a wireless network? I'm thinking you could, but would just need either the MAC or IP of your wireless EQ machine. Also can you think of any problems, ie wireless card manufacturers for LINUX computers, etc... :confused:

Thanks for the help.

Dedpoet
07-27-2004, 07:31 AM
There is fairly good wireless support on most recent Linux distros, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Your hurdle is going to be that wireless nics that are able to be put into promiscuous mode to sniff network traffic are very uncommon. I don't know of any off the top of my head, but some others might. On a wireless network, you'll have to make sure that your Linux box can see your EQ traffic. This usually means using the Linux box as your router, or plugging your wireless access point and your Seq box into a true hub. There are ways to do it, but none of them are particularly convenient except to use your Linux box as your router - that way it sees all of your traffic.

Backspace
07-27-2004, 07:53 AM
Yes. I have a wireless router and nics on EQ client system and ShowEQ laptop. I have no problem with it at all. If you need specifics, be glad to share.

Ratt
07-27-2004, 09:18 AM
Cisco 350's can be put into promiscuous mode I believe... though they are 802.11b cards.

Cryonic
07-27-2004, 09:37 AM
Most of the A and G cards do not have native support under Linux, but can be gotten to work in normal mode with the ndiswrapper project. This, however, precludes the ability to put them into promisc mode.

Take a look at the Kismet project for a list of cards that work under Linux and have a monitor mode...

Pascal7
07-27-2004, 09:48 AM
Please share. I would love to hear how you set it up.

I'm looking at using 2 laptops one for EQ the older one for ShowEQ. I also found a Ethernet to Wireless adapter. Thinking I could maybe use ethernet for connecting the laptops to a hub, then the hub uplink to the Wireless adaptor.

Something like this... Netgear Wireless Bridge (http://biz.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=570320&CatId=372) or Buffalo Technology Wireless Bridge (http://www.buffalotech.com/products/product-detail.php?productid=35&categoryid=7)

EQ Laptop SEQ Laptop
| |
| |
-------- HUB ---------
|
|
Wireless Bridge
V
V
Wireless Access Point

Pascal7
08-01-2004, 10:22 AM
humm, I don't have any experience here...
Can a wireless bridge be plugged into a hub?

spacemarine
08-01-2004, 11:27 AM
Showeq will not work with a Linksys wrt54g. I had to put my EQ pc and showeq pc on a netgear hub to see traffic. My problems cleared up after than.

uRit1u2CBBA=
08-01-2004, 02:54 PM
humm, I don't have any experience here...
Can a wireless bridge be plugged into a hub?

Sure - at the back end of a wireless bridge is ethernet, so whatever you can do with normal ethernet, you can do with a wireless bridge.

I have my hub connected to the bridge, and then my PCs connected to the hub (as the previous poster showed), and it works great.

Pascal7
08-01-2004, 06:11 PM
Sweet.
Thank you.

S_B_R
08-02-2004, 03:47 PM
Careful, I know the D-Link B and G bridges only work with 1 device connected via ethernnet. They seem to only store a single MAC address, and must be reset each time a new device is connected... sorta like alot of Cable modems out there.

elf
08-03-2004, 05:06 PM
My experience with wireless cards under linux has been short, only just getting a small setup running, and not having my EQ computer on the wireless side yet. Currently, my linux box has a Netgear WG511. What I don't like about it, this card doesn't have a promiscious mode. It is either associated with the AP, or it is listening to all the traffic, not both. So, I could use Seq and listen to EQ packets, but I couldn't surf the net or leave instant messengers open at the same time.

This specific card took a bit of work to set up, having to copy a .arm file from a windows install of the driver to /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware. This is using the prism chipset, and the drivers from prism54.org

Cryonic
08-03-2004, 08:20 PM
You'll find that problem with all wireless cards... I haven't discovered any that could be doing both sniffing and be associated with an AP, however you could stick two cards in the system, one to sniff, the other to actually connect to the network and provide network functionality for the rest of the system.