PDA

View Full Version : Packet Broadcast?

RoboHobo
07-27-2004, 04:38 PM
Here's my setup:

[Wireless Network] <---> [NIC1][EQ Machine][NIC2] <---> [NIC][SEQ Laptop]

A simple way to get this to work is to have the wireless network (internet) go through the laptop and the EQ machine just use the Laptop as a gateway. Unfortunately I can't do that for a number of reasons, one of which is how often I move the laptop around and use it for different purposes. My SEQ machine would be left without internet access most of the time.

So, my question is this: Can I somehow have my SEQ machine broadcast all packets it receives from NIC1 OUT THROUGH NIC2? That way my laptop will be able to receive all the EQ packets. I know this must somehow be possible, and I know it's not that complicated of a thing to do. Someone must have done it.

If anyone here can shed any light on this, I'd greatly appreciate it. Or perhaps there's another solution?

Thanks a lot!

Zandramas
07-27-2004, 07:50 PM
Windows will not broadcast packets to both nic's in the EQ machine. It will only send the packets out through the nic its connecting through on the port for the program thats using the nic. You would have to obtain some 3rd party program that will take the packets before it gets to NIC1 and send it also to NIC2. Not only will this slow down the pc, but probably make EQ unplayable since its sensitive to ports and random things. Just get a hub.. Solved.. Your only going to use the Linux laptop when playing EQ <and at that time the machines would be side by side> so just use a hub when you want to use SHOWEQ.. Easiest solution..