PDA

View Full Version : Gorilla Fix to get Maps working (8/11 patch)

EpicCamp
08-11-2004, 05:55 PM
Well I managed to do something to actually contribute for once to the ShowEQ project. However small and insignificant it may be.

However this is what I would call a "Gorilla Fix" which basically just gets your map loading once again, however I'm sure the added information to the struct probably has neat things in it. All I did was increase the placeholder size to fit the right amount of octects for the struct. Nothing more nothing less. Again, trivial/noob fix. But it gets things working and I know most of the time that's what you guys are looking for here.

Merely go to roughly line 475 in everquest.h and change this line...

/*0520*/ uint8_t unknown0520[76]; // *** Placeholder

to...

/*0520*/ uint8_t unknown0520[152]; // *** Placeholder

Then just recompile SEQ and you're good to go.

Once again, I know this is a retardedly trivial fix, and is a gorilla fix. But hey, it gets shit working as was pre-patch. So there ya go, my 2 cents.

-EpicCamp

Hobo
08-11-2004, 11:30 PM
Seems to work. Thanks for the efforts!

Caustic
08-12-2004, 06:53 PM
Hey Epic...

Nice fix...worked like a champ....Thanks for the "Find & Fix". And be it Gorilla or not....it works! :)

bonkersbobcat
08-13-2004, 12:52 AM
I will at this to the 5.0.0.12 bulid in CVS tonight

BB

BlueAdept
08-13-2004, 07:50 AM
Its odd, Im using the old version and my maps load without any modifications.

Noobian
08-13-2004, 06:10 PM
When you say "recompile" is this what you mean?

make -f Makefile.dist
./configure
make && make install

Thanks a BUNCH!

Noobian

monster69
08-13-2004, 06:16 PM
That is a recompile Noobian. It would be a good idea to do:

make clean

as your first command, just for shits and giggles.

Monster

Noobian
08-13-2004, 07:13 PM
It did not work for stupid me for some reason.

I went into /showeq/showeq/src/everquest.h
and changed the line as above and saved.

Then I typed:

make clean
make -f Makefile.dist
./configure
make && make install

well actually I typed:
make clean
make -f Makefile.dist && ./configure && make && make install

Did I go into the wrong directory?

Thanks;
Noobian

fhm
08-13-2004, 08:11 PM

Yes, you need to go back one directory to:-

/showeq/showeq/

Regards,

CJ

Noobian
08-15-2004, 12:18 PM
I must be suffering from dumbshititis.

In showeq/showeq/ there are a lot of files but no everquest.h

I can only find everquest.h in showeq/showeq/src

I know I'm missing something or I have a nonstandard install which I don't believe is the case.

I tried to edit the file and recomplie two times and it did not make maps work either time. I used CVS last night and now have maps working but I'd like to know how to make changes myself so that I don't have to rely on the kind folks here to update CVS before I can get SEQ working.

After both of my failed recompiles I checked everquest.h and the change was in there. I'm either editing a copy of everquest.h thats in a wrong directory or I'm doing something wrong in the compile stage.

Any help would of course be appreciated.

The last try here is what I did:

and changed the line as above and saved.

Then I backed out to /showeq/showeq and typed

make clean
make -f Makefile.dist && ./configure && make && make install

When it finished SEQ ran just fine but would not load maps on zoning which of course was the whole reason for doing this little exercise.

Noob

L1A
08-16-2004, 12:25 PM
troubleshooting tips.
Start showeq from a terminal window and look for an error message like this:
Warning: OP_NewZone (0xeb) (dataLen: 672) doesn't match: sizeof(newZoneStruct):670

In this case I had made a typo in everquest.h and put 150 instead of 152. So 672-670 = 2 which is the amount I typo'ed.
(672 is the size EQ is sending. 670 is the size of my bucket, which is too small.)

Originally it was 76. So if your error is off by 76 (76+76=152) then your binary is not patched.

The gorilla fix here pads the end of the struct so it matches, in size, the data that is being sent. At this point we don't know what the extra bits do. But we have to make room for them to stay in sync.

I hope this helps.

inndica
08-16-2004, 02:35 PM
Okay I gunna admit... Im a newbie when it comes to linux.. recomplie make $&& all that stuff is greek to me.... Would one of your kind souls post the everquest.h file alreasy fixed..... Iknow Im lazy... but im also unschooled on this Please someone help me out..

Thanks Inndy

ksmith
08-16-2004, 03:00 PM
Okay I gunna admit... Im a newbie when it comes to linux.. recomplie make $&& all that stuff is greek to me.... Would one of your kind souls post the everquest.h file alreasy fixed..... Iknow Im lazy... but im also unschooled on this Please someone help me out..

Thanks Inndy

Hi Inndy,
this fix has been in CVS since '2004/08/13 08:08:07'. I would like to personally invite you to USE CVS as it will make your life and mine much more pleasant.

inndica
08-29-2004, 11:15 PM
:eek: OMG it was so easy to fix that.. I think I might just get a hang of this linux thang. Thanks so much fer the info....... CVS rawks

Inndy :)