PDA

View Full Version : patch to make seq use kde/qt style (5.x)

pac1085
08-14-2004, 05:46 PM
Attached is a patch that lets seq use qt/kde themes. If you don't use KDE, you will need to play around with qt-config to select which theme you wish to use and set the colors. However, if you do run KDE, you dont need to do anything - will automatically use the systems current KDE theme and colors! I'm sure many people dont care about this as it doesnt add functionality or fix any bugs, but its a nice touch that I've been wanting for a long time. Should apply cleanly to current cvs.

Ratt
08-15-2004, 10:40 AM
Very cool - good work! :)

BlueAdept
08-15-2004, 02:14 PM
Very nice. KDE is the only way to go.

I may try to hack it into v4 because I have problems with the docking of the windows on v5.

icetech
08-15-2004, 06:49 PM
BA, i have a prob with them also.. takes me like 30 minutes to get them into the right spots if they ever get moved by accident:(

Cryonic
08-15-2004, 07:34 PM
so get them into position, do save preferences and don't worry if you accidentally move them again as you can just reload SEQ to get them back...

BlueAdept
08-16-2004, 10:16 AM
so get them into position, do save preferences and don't worry if you accidentally move them again as you can just reload SEQ to get them back...

Actually even if I had saved them and messed it up when exit and go back, the main map window is still messed up for some reason.

My seq is very simple. Only the old spawn window and the map window. On 5x I cant get them to dock right. Believe me, I have with it as close to how I want it, but even if I save the preferences, when I reload, the docking is messed up.

DrakeIC
08-29-2004, 03:30 AM
Nice job on this. I applied it to latest source and it went without a hitch. Be nice to get this in CVS.

Cryonic
08-29-2004, 12:04 PM
If this does go into CVS, it should be setup so that it needs to be enabled by an ifdef else left disabled.

DrakeIC
08-29-2004, 12:13 PM
Or add it to the themes menu.

purple
08-29-2004, 07:21 PM
Why would you ever not want this? You can choose the theme in qtconfig like you could from that menu. I guess unless you want seq to look different than any of your other windows for some reason.

pac1085
08-29-2004, 07:43 PM
Its kind of a hack-job, so I wouldnt know how to do it with an ifdef. All the patch does is rips out all of ShowEQ's built in styling code...

Cryonic
08-30-2004, 12:06 AM
and since it does just strip out code is a good reason to not just want it added carte blanche.

DrakeIC
09-04-2004, 04:08 PM
Couldn't agree more, I didn't reveiw the changes. Applying them to cvs would be taking a step back by taking out functionallity that people use.

purple
09-04-2004, 04:22 PM
Seriously, do you guys just not know about qtconfig or what?

KaL
09-06-2004, 01:23 PM
I don't, enlighten me.

purple
09-06-2004, 03:21 PM
Run qtconfig and see! It lets you set default fonts and styles and everything will use it, even if you aren't running KDE. It lets you do everything the showeq window->styles menu does and more, plus it applies to all qt apps and not just showeq.

I don't run KDE, so I don't know if showeq doesn't show with the current KDE theme because of the window->styles code. If so, that's pretty bad!

Cryonic
09-06-2004, 04:07 PM
and why do all apps need to follow the default theme? ....

It's one thing to add it as a choice in the software, its another to force it to be so for all applications...

Cheshire_Dragon
09-07-2004, 01:25 AM
Ignore him Cry....he is just another one to fit us in to "one size fits all" shoes again. I think Microsoft tried to do this once. Sadly, It worked on a lot of people. It is not going to happen here, purple.

purple
09-07-2004, 08:10 AM
Yes, I'm Microsoft, holding down the commoners so as to make money by fiendishly asking that when I start up an application, that it uses the theme I've already selected for my desktop! Muhahuauha! Laughing all the way to the bank I am! Look out!

(As an aside, that's the stupidest assed post I've read here yet. Thanks for that, chesire_dragon.)

Why do all apps need to follow the default theme? Well, it is the default theme for a reason. Because someone picked it that way! That's my best rational argument.

That said, I use gnome/gtk on my box and showeq is the only QT app I use. When I first installed it and saw that it looked odd, I played with it and fixed it as best I could. Then I saw this patch and said "hmm, maybe I can use this and find a QT style to make the window not stick out" and I tried and it really screwed everything up. But I did find qtconfig which lets you set some defaults for QT including the basic styles that showeq makes available, plus other things like default fonts and mouse stuff. With qtconfig I was able to redo what I could do using the showeq menu options plus more stuff. Additionally, if I ever want to use another QT app, it would also inherit these choices.

I don't know how showeq works if you do have KDE installed and have a theme. But if it starts up and then overwrites the theme, I think that is at least odd if not just plain bad. I assumed this is what it does and why this patch was written in the first place, but I got no idea.

Cryonic
09-07-2004, 03:13 PM
Again, I'll reiterate...

I have no problem with SEQ having the ability to go with the "theme" of the desktop (whether that just be with qtconfig or with KDE), but it should be an option in the menus and not a forced default which is all this patch does since it just strips out code....

ksmith
09-07-2004, 04:28 PM
it should be an option in the menus and not a forced default which is all this patch does since it just strips out code....

Yes. Make a patch that adds "Default" or whatever to the style menu, and I'll bless it. Until then, quit bickering.

Cheshire_Dragon
09-14-2004, 03:48 PM
Purple, there was no intention or inference about money being made. That is something you thought up. I was stating that you were creating a set standard which is what MS does. That is why a lot of people fell into that MS hole. EVERYTHING looks the same and that is where the ease of use comes in, thats all.

purple
09-14-2004, 04:05 PM
I'm not creating anything here. It's not my patch. It looked to me like you were aoling Cryonic to look cool.

I'm just expressing my opinion that any app should naturally follow the selected desktop theme if possible. It's one of the strengths of using Gnome or KDE, and apps that don't bother to support the current theme end up looking silly. But again, that's just my opinion. If I cared enough about it, I'd add a --with-kde to configure and make it use KApplication and such. But I don't really care that much and don't even use KDE myself. The important part of showeq for me isn't how well it integrates into my desktop.

Cheshire_Dragon
09-14-2004, 06:30 PM
OK, I am catching ya now :) I was confused at first then I realized "oh yeah he doesn't use KDE".. KDE has a built-in theme manager and it will make ALL apps running under KDE to use the same decorations and color schemes. (err well it does for me anyway) I don't anyone else, besides people I talk to online, who use KDE or even Linux for that matter.
As for myself I have not yet run into a program that doesn't follow the current theme. Maybe KDE forces it on every application? I don't know if Gnome does it because I can't stand Gnome hehe