PDA

View Full Version : LinkSys Hub?

Hal
08-17-2004, 02:33 PM
I have finally installed showeq full without getting any errors, but it still will not work.. I am using the config for my network as follows:

ADSL Router Connected to a router which is wired into a Linksys Hub in which both my EQ computer and my linux compter are hooked up to.. This is the config I have read to do in all the doc's and faq's i have seen.. I have checked the Linksys webpage and they assure me that their hubs broadcast half duplex and send information to every port, but when I am on EQ (this my be irrilavent) the link activity light blinks on my EQ computers port and the uplink port, but not on the port for my linux system..

Could this configuration be wrong or would it be a mess up in my programming of seq?

If so can anyone recommend something for me to do.

Thank you,
Hal

-=<Someone trying to learn>=-

purple
08-17-2004, 02:51 PM
Linksys "hubs" are usually switches. Sometimes you can force them into dumb hub mode by having both a 10mbit and 100mbit card hooked up to it though. But a much more reliable method is to find an actual dumb as dirt old school hub.

Hal
08-17-2004, 03:12 PM
I have heard that said before, but I went to the linksys webpage and looked up my particular hub and it noted a part where their hubs send information to all ports...

maybe I will try to figure out how to set my linux system with a dual ethernet card and see if that will work...

uRit1u2CBBA=
08-17-2004, 08:40 PM
If there is a model number, post it and we can have a hub expert confirm.

Validus
09-18-2004, 09:28 PM
Any idea if this works? (trying to replace my old cracked 10baseT 'concentrator' I had been using.

EFAH05W (Linksys 10/100 5 Port Workgroup Hub)
Thanks!

cavemanbob
09-19-2004, 12:09 AM
Being a 10/100 I highly doubt if it's really a hub and not a switch and if it is a hub it will likely not behave as a hub if one of the machines is on a 10Mbit adapter and the other is on a 100MBit adapter.

Validus
09-19-2004, 10:11 AM
Thanks Caveman,

I was wondering because they (Linksys) offer hubs AND switches separately, it made me think that the hub WAS a hub.

Looks like my bad.

I also, in rereading old posts via search, saw several people posting that if you had a 10 and a 100 adapter on the hub it would force it into 'hub' mode - these seems to be the opposite of what you just said if my memory WAS correct.

I currently finally upgraded all my net cards to 100s but I can probably find an old one to put on the linux box as a second interface, if that helped.

Also, could someone explain 10/100 as it related to duplex full/half? is saying 10 = half and 100 = duplex an oversimplification or just wrong?

Also, could I set the win box running EQ to half or whatever needed on net settings?

If it is that any one box needs to be half or 10 or ? could I set another box connected to the hub to this setting even if not running EQ soit can force the hub into 'hub mode'

Can I come up with more questions?

Stay tuned... ;)

purple
09-19-2004, 10:36 AM
From what I've seen, Linksys "workgroup hubs" are switches. I have heard that if you have both a 10Mbit and 100Mbit on the same "hub", that it will force it into hub mode. You will still only be able to see 100Mbit packets on other 100Mbit connected boxes though and the same 10Mbit. You can't sniff from the 10Mbit to the 100Mbit.

Netgear hubs are hubs, but again the 100Mbit channel is separate from the 10Mbit channel so you can't cross sniff.

Duplex has nothing to do with 10Mbit or 100Mbit. Duplex is just whether communication can flow in both directions at the same time or not. You can have full or half duplex 10Mbit connection and full or half duplex 100Mbit connections.

The easiest thing to do is to just make sure you buy a hub. The Netgear ones work well, just make sure you're machines are all 10 or all 100.

Cryonic
09-19-2004, 10:49 AM
half-duplex is the best you can get when using a hub as the NIC has to be able to listen while it is sending to make sure there is no collision with other Ethernet frames on the wire.

So, if you get full-duplex (10 or 100) you are definitely on a switch...