PDA

View Full Version : make error127

modsiw
09-03-2004, 03:29 PM
I'm new to linux so please bare with.
Running madrake10. Updated today fully via mandrake install. All CVS packs installed save the ones req. cd4.

I'm attemting to instal seq with zandramas' method. When I get to the make command it gives this error:

[root@modlin showeq]# make -f Makefile.dist
Adding libtool support......................................make[1]: *** [no-backup] Error 127
make: *** [all] Error 2

What is this? Better yet, how do I fix it?

thanks
modsiw

purple
09-03-2004, 03:51 PM
No libtool probably. Makefile.dist.dbg would probably pinpoint where in the Makefile.dist it is having problems. More than likely it has "*!* libtoolize --force --copy --automake *!*" and that's it because you don't have libtoolize.

modsiw
09-03-2004, 04:49 PM
Installed libtools with packet installer.
Now I get this error:

[root@modlin showeq]# make -f Makefile.dist
Adding libtool support...................................... done!
Generating aclocal.m4 from configure.in and acinclude.m4....make[1]: *** [no-backup] Error 127
[root@modlin showeq]# make -f Makefile.dist.dbg
Makefile.dist.dbg:1: *** multiple target patterns. Stop.

modsiw
09-03-2004, 04:52 PM
Is there a list of required packets? I'mguessing it isn't that easy.

purple
09-03-2004, 05:06 PM
Well, you did skip the "Install a fresh version of Redhat Linux 9.0 with all packages" part of Zandramus' install process!

Running the Makefile.dist.dbg like it is a makefile is gonna get you nowhere. Now you're probably missing automake so when the makefile tries to use aclocal it isn't there.

Note that your first error was you missing the very first thing needed. This new one is you missing the second thing needed. I don't have a clue about Mandrake, but maybe there is some developer package or something you can install? I'm gonna really question whether I wanna keep helping when you don't have autoconf, and when you don't have a compiler after that, I'm gonna go watch TV or something. Just saying.

Ok, I take that back. You did have make.

modsiw
09-03-2004, 05:36 PM
Point taken. Looking and d/ling redhat9 images now, wipping and tring again form square one.

Thanks for your patience, its still day one for me. <<noob

modsiw
09-03-2004, 05:40 PM
Just to make sure. Is this the correct version of redhat for this to go as smooth as possable?

file name: shrike-i386-disc1.iso ect,
md5:34048ce4cd069b624f6e021ba63ecde5

purple
09-03-2004, 06:26 PM
I believe Shrike is redhat 9, yeah.

Zandramas
09-03-2004, 07:44 PM
:) Redhat is the best option since it provides everything you need and is so simple with my method that a child can do it..

And my method is just the post, I didnt design linux. :)

modsiw
09-04-2004, 12:15 AM
redhat up and running
seq up and running (save, I need to go buy a hub; only have switches)

*grin* aye, linux was made by Linus T. (not going to try to spell/remember it) and the untold numbers after him. Not a complete noob; I've just never really played with linux.

Thanks for the help purple and zand.

flipper
09-17-2004, 01:20 AM
Can anyone shed some light on which rpms from RH9 need to be installed? My laptop does not have anywhere near enough disk space for an entire RH9 install. I have all of the listed requirements from INSTALL.newbies, but I'm getting the following error when I compile SEQ-4 and SEQ-5-beta:
Generting Makefile.in from Makefile.am..................make[1]: *** [no-backup] Error 1

I've tried creating a .no-backup file and also tried:
make -f Makefile.dist no-backup

They all give the same error :mad:

Tor K'tal
09-17-2004, 05:29 AM
Flipper wrote:
Can anyone shed some light on which rpms from RH9 need to be installed?

straight from the INSTALL.newbies file that is in the base directory of what you got from CVS.
XFree86-devel
XFree86-libs
autoconf
automake
gcc3
gcc3-c++
libpcap
libstdc++3
libstdc++3-devel
libgcc
zlib
zlib-devel
gd
gd-devel
gdbm
gdbm-devel
pine **for pico
kernel-headers
glibc-devel
cvs
patch
make
m4
libtool
libtool-libs
binutils
libpng
libpng-devel
libjpeg
libjpeg-devel
libmng
libmng-devel
freetype

Depending on your level if linux know how, some of those packages aren't really needed (like pine or pico) but that is purely on your comfort level with linux based editing software.

WARNING: That list was also generated for Redhat 7.2 ... since most folks run RedHat 9.x or Mandrake 10.x or possably Fedora as first timers, you will want to get the lastest and greatest version of those for your OS version. DO NOT install the stuff for RedHat 7.2 onto your system if you are not running RedHat 7.2. RedHat 7.2 does not appear to be a recommended OS for SEQ at this time, there is newer and potentially better stuff to use... very good chance folks have RH7.2 and it is still working but if you are starting fresh it is highly recommended to go with RH9, or so I gather from the majority of posts to help the "newbies".

For the more advanced user there is a more cropped down list in the INSTALL file found right next to the INSTALL.newbies file. I haven't actually tried compiling with that short of a list so I'm not possative it will work.

*Insert rude remark about not searching first here, and close out the post*...*rude remark removed*...*error*...*error*...*does not compute*...*system failure*...*But why, Dave?*

Unfortunately when I did a search myself for such things I was not able to find it through the search tool. It is my understanding that when the front end changed over while old posts were preserved the ability to search them seems to be lacking (I could have swore there was a thread with this in it already). After perusing the FAQ I was not able to find refrence to required packages either so I went to the old stand bye of the instructions with the CVS download and was able to locate a copy.

So I'm clear I mentioned it, here is one final warning: I can not guarantee the accuracy of the lists of required RPMs (some might not be required anymore, I doubt more have been added but it is a possability) at this time but someone with more knowledge of the make system and/or the source might be able to generate a more accurate and precise list or just confirm or deny the accuracy of this list.

~TK

flipper
09-17-2004, 09:17 PM
TK,

Thanks for the reply. I have RH9.0 and I have all of the RPM packages (from RH9) that you listed, except for kernel-headers because that package is not part of RH9. If I had the disk space I would simply install the entier workstation installation of RH9, but my laptop has very limited free space :(

I'll keep poking at this problem and see if I can figure something out.

Zaphod
09-17-2004, 10:27 PM
TK,

Thanks for the reply. I have RH9.0 and I have all of the RPM packages (from RH9) that you listed, except for kernel-headers because that package is not part of RH9. If I had the disk space I would simply install the entier workstation installation of RH9, but my laptop has very limited free space :(

I'll keep poking at this problem and see if I can figure something out.

I believe it is called glibc-kernheaders and not kernel-headers... At least in Redhat 9 as well as Fedora Core 1 & 2... On Redhat 9 you can run my checkdeps.sh (http://www.doomed.to/showeq/checkdeps.sh) found on my website (http://www.doomed.to/showeq/).

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)