PDA

View Full Version : Hub/router question

Greenparrot
02-12-2002, 02:46 PM
I've been reading through the threads and from what I can tell most of the set ups pass through the linox box.

My set up is: isp supplied cisco router = Linksys 10mb 5 port hub = 4 computers (router occupys the 5th port)

Will I be able to get seq going like this?

Sorry if the question is stupid. I was learning linox back a few years ago but finally gave up when my friend nor the local user group was able to get my machine online (only had one box at the time so linox was partitioned on it.)

edit: The hub is about 3 years old so I think it's just a straight hub not a switch

shadowcat
02-12-2002, 03:12 PM
Well, if you have been reading this forum about hub/switch/networking issues then you should find that there are many ways of testing if it will work. The easiest is to set up the system, configure the network, and see if seq sniffs the packets.

I would do that first ... then if you have problems, come back. We have no idea what models your equipment are. We don't know how you've configured your machines or even what your machines are.

Try it. See if it works.

[ps-

A man walks into an electronics store. He has a list of all the parts and tools he needs to build a radio. The saleman helps him find everything he needs. He brings all his parts and tools to the counter where the salesman starts to ring up his purchases.

"Can I make a radio with this stuff?"

The salesman looks at him and says, "I don't know. Can you?"

]

Greenparrot
02-12-2002, 04:35 PM
Lol.

K

basically the main point was is it possible or should I not even bother and just route everything (or at least the eq puter) through the linox box.

maco2580
02-13-2002, 02:55 PM
I have a simular setup, and the Linksys Router I have, has a 4 port switch, not a hub built in. I hooked up a hub to one port, and plugged EQ box and SEQ box into hub and it worked great.

SeqTester
02-13-2002, 02:59 PM
FYI: just get a single port NetGear router and save the cash and plug it into a hub. :) thats what I do.