PDA

View Full Version : ShowEQ is not picking up anything

slowry26
09-06-2004, 09:18 PM
Well I have scoured the forums and can find really nothing helping with this. I tried running on Fedora 2. That was a nightmare. 6 installs and I decided to go with Red Hat 9. Up and going now. After compiling and actually getting ShowEQ going it isn't picking up anything. I get the invalid packet message but doesn't show anything in ShowEQ. My network is set up as Net--> Cable Modem---> Microsoft Hub---> Windows/Linux Systems. Anyone have any ideas here? I have tried setting it to detect next EQ client seen and setting it to monitor the specific IP. I have gotten nothing coming through except the invalid packets. please help a newb. Thanks.

bonkersbobcat
09-07-2004, 12:00 AM
Are you sure that your hub is a hub and not really a switch? Many things that are labeled as "hubs" are actually "switches".

To test this, run tcpdump on your linux box, then go surf some web pages on your windows box. If all you see on tcpdump are broadcast packets (IP destination x.x.x.255) then you really have a switch and you will have to go buy a hub.

The whole switch vs hub discussion has occured many times. Use search if you need more information.

slowry26
09-07-2004, 02:43 PM
Ended up getting a linksys router and a netgear hub. Works like a charm now. Thanks for the help.