PDA

View Full Version : Compiling error: Makefile.dist:265: *** commands commence before first target. Stop.

DeathWish
09-13-2004, 09:19 AM
When following the installation instructions I get the same error every time. I've installed all the dependencies, redownloaded the CVS, searched through the forums, etc, and have found nothing to solve my dilemma. Here's the error:

[root]# cd showeq
[root]# make -f Makefile.dist
Makefile.dist:265: *** commands commence before first target. Stop.
[root]

Here is the contents of line 265:

@echo -n "Generating Makefile.in from Makefile.am....................."
There is a tab character before the @ which according to my research online means it is supposed execute the line as a command?

Here it is in context:

# Better safe than sorry... Do these one at a time rather than doing
# them all at once. This fixes problems with older automake versions.
@echo -n "Generating Makefile.in from Makefile.am....................."
@echo -e "\n*!* automake ... *!*" >> Makefile.dist.dbg
@automake --add-missing --foreign --include-deps ./Makefile \
>> Makefile.dist.dbg 2>&1
@automake --add-missing --foreign --include-deps src/Makefile \
@automake --add-missing --foreign --include-deps maps/Makefile \
@automake --add-missing --foreign --include-deps conf/Makefile \
@echo "!*! automake ... !*!" >> Makefile.dist.dbg
@echo " done!"
I am running Fedora Core 1 if that helps any. I've had SEQ running on this computer before (the old version is still installed) but that one stopped working several months back when they changed the EQ client. I'm somewhat of a newb at understanding compilation errors (all the programming I've done has been in Perl and PHP so no comiling heh) and as such am at a complete loss for what to do next. Any ideas would be welcome! :) Please let me know if you need any other info.

edit: The version I am running is:

Version: $Id: INSTALL,v 1.5.16.2 2003/12/13 00:49:42 dohpaz Exp $ $Name: pre_5_0_beta $according to the INSTALL file.

DeathWish
09-17-2004, 03:31 AM
I'm still having no luck with this. Am I using the wrong version or something? It must be something mindnumbingly noobish if I've recieved exactly 0 responses (other than this one which doesn't count because it's only me bumping my own thread).
I've updated all the software listed in the INSTALL file to the newest versions, and it doesn't make a bit of difference. Please, someone at least flame me and point me to the right version of the CVS, or whatever it is I'm doing wrong, because this lack of response is more insulting than "you stupid noob" could ever be. :p

P.S. Please no flaming without pointing out the answer, as that'd just be mean :p flaming with the answer though would be greatly appreciated. ;) As long as I get some hints in the right direction I'll be happy!

Zaphod
09-17-2004, 11:50 PM
Try the following, open up configure.in with your favorite LINUX text editor and insert AC_PREREQ(2.54) after the first couple comment lines (they begin with dnl). Save the file and then re-run 'make -f Makefile.dist', which should hopefully finish successfully now, at which point you do 'configure', 'make', and 'make install', etc...

Also, make sure you are back to using a virgin Makefile.dist, otherwise your edits to it may have inadvertantly made things worse... That file should be labeled, "There be dragons here..."

Hope it helps...

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

DeathWish
09-18-2004, 10:59 PM
Sweet thanks, I'll try that as soon as I get home from work :)

Zaphod
09-19-2004, 12:25 AM
This fix is in the latest tarball, and theoretically in anon CVS if you can get to it...

If that doesn't work, please give information about what Linux distribtuion you are running, and the versions of autoconf and automake on it.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)