PDA

View Full Version : Few questions

DBlade
02-13-2002, 06:15 AM
My network configuration are as follows:

##############Internet###################
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .D-Link router(4 ports). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . .+--------Model DI-804---------------+. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . .|. . . . . . . . . . . . |. . . . . . . . . . . . | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . .|. . . . . . . . . . . . |. . . . . . . . . . . . |. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . "via network. . . ."via network. . . . . ."via network. . . . . . . . .
. . . . . .card " . . . . . . . . .card" . . . . . . . . . .card". . . . . . . . . .
. . . . .PC running. . . . . .Laptop. . . . . .PC running Linux. . . .
. . . . .Win98SE. . . . . . .Win98SE. . . . . . .Redhat 7.2. . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

All 3 computers are able to ping each other and all can browse the internet.
I managed to install SEQ using Fryfrog noobie guide.
Wihout changing/editing anything, however when I run SEQ, it doesnt seem to sniff anything either EQ on my PC or EQ on my laptop.
My ISP provides me with ONE static IP. The router provides each PCs/Laptop an IP each.
Eg:
Gateway is 321.321.321.321
My Static IP is 123.123.123.123
IP given by router to PC running windows is 111.111.111.111
IP given by router to Laptop is 222.222.222.222
IP given by router to PC running Linux is 333.333.333.333

Questions:
1) do I always have to start SEQ by typing this command like mentioned on the guide?

export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2
cd /usr/local/bin
./showeq -i eth0 "my IP"

2) on the "my IP", do I type in 111.111.111.111? if I want SEQ to sniff the EQ packets from my PC?

I tried using this but it didnt work. SEQ do work but no data/map/character/etc were shown. I even tried changing the -i eth0 to -i eth1 but I got error: no such device.

I play EQ on both my PC and Laptop at the same time as I have 2 EQ accounts. I do know that SEQ can only sniff either ONE of the computer only. I have been using SEQ before. It will sniff the first computer that runs EQ. And the older version of SEQ, I dont have to type in the ./showeq -i eth0 "my IP". I would just type 'showeq' and the programs starts.

I tried searching for answers in all the forum but :( I also notice that there are some people on the board having similar problems but the solution that was given is alien to me. I am a noobie by the way. Please help.

LordCrush
02-13-2002, 06:54 AM
Is this router a switch or a hub ?
Switch will not work 8-)

try to put you ip in the showeq.conf
or start showeq 111.111.111.111

Regards

- LordCrush

DBlade
02-13-2002, 07:07 AM
I think D-Link model DI-804 is a router with 4 ports ethernet switch. At least thats what it says on the box. I guess SEQ wont work huh :(

hmmmmmmmm

oh well, I guess Ill go grab my old hub and hook my PC that is running windows and PC running Linux onto it. Then hook the hub to the router. Perhaps this will work?

Thanks

DBlade
02-13-2002, 07:42 AM
grrr I feel like an idoit posting.....

I guess I should have mentioned to the guy at the shop that I wanted a router/hub!!! and not a switch.

deathinc
02-13-2002, 08:29 AM
No big deal... Go get an "Ethernet Crossover Cable" and a small 4/6/8 port HUB. Connect the X-Over cable to the hub, and your EQ and SEQ machines to the hub instead of the router/switch.

Cryonic
02-13-2002, 12:43 PM
or use a standard patch cable and hook the switch/router into the uplink port of the hub.

By the way, No routers (Dlink/Linksys/etc...) have hubs, they are ALL Switches.

deathinc
02-13-2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Cryonic
or use a standard patch cable and hook the switch/router into the uplink port of the hub.

Will also work... If the hub/switch (either end) has an 'uplink' port.

BTW: That cable will probibly only cost you $4-5 in a 3-4 ft segment from most rip-off computer stores.