PDA

View Full Version : No data displaying on maps

kaybek
09-22-2004, 12:56 PM
I just installed the latest release of SEQ and found that when I load in I am only shown a character called "You" (a level 1 warrior; strange because I'm a 62 Mage). If I manually load the map for the zone I'm in, I can see my spot on the map and the direction I'm facing, but I see no other information on the map at all. No mobs, no npc's, nothing. Any suggestions?

I've tried several iterations of the install process and each time I get the exact same result.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys might be able to give.

purple
09-22-2004, 02:10 PM
Do you have opcode files in your local .showeq directory that are maybe being used instead of the ones in /usr/local/share/showeq? If you don't mind nuking your profile, then just remove ~/.showeq and try again. You might also be better helped by posting up what it says when you start showeq so people can see version info and the like and any errors you see in the output.

S_B_R
09-22-2004, 02:26 PM
Usually waht causes this type of behavior is SEQ can't see the packet stream either inbound or outbound.

Have you used SEQ in the past recently?

kaybek
09-22-2004, 02:30 PM
I have never used SEQ before.

I'm using a Linksys router to share my internet connection and have the SEQ box actively set to monitor my EQ computers IP Address. Is there some way I can test the connection between the two, or is there some router setting I need to modify?

Thanks again for any assistance you may be able to give.

S_B_R
09-22-2004, 02:33 PM
Routers are switches, you need a hub. search the board for more info.

kaybek
09-22-2004, 02:37 PM
Here is the text output I get when I start showeq:

[root@localhost showeq]# showeq
ShowEQ 5.0.0.14, released under the GPL.
SINS 0.5, released under the GPL.
All ShowEQ source code is Copyright (C) 2000-2004 by the respective ShowEQ Developers
ShowEQ comes with NO WARRANTY.

You may redistribute copies of ShowEQ under the terms of
The GNU General Public License.
See: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html for more details...

For updates and information, please visit http://seq.sourceforge.net/
ShowEQ 5.0.0.14, Built from 'main.cpp' on Sep 22 2004 at 10:50:57
CVS: @(#) $Id: main.cpp,v 1.33.6.4 2004/09/18 20:51:31 dohpaz Exp $ $Name: pre_5_0_beta $
Using GCC version: 3.3.3
Using glibc version: 2.3
Using Qt version: 3.3.3
Using headers from linux version: 2.4.20
Using EQItemDB: @(#) $Id: itemdb.cpp,v 1.10.6.2 2004/09/18 20:51:31 dohpaz Exp $ $Name: pre_5_0_beta $
Using GDBM: This is GDBM version 1.8.0, as of May 19, 1999.
Running on Linux release 2.6.5-1.358 for processor i686

Using config file '/root/.showeq/showeq.xml'
Loaded preferences file: /usr/local/share/showeq/seqdef.xml!
Unable to open file: /root/.showeq/showeq.xml!
Info: Listening for first client seen.
Info: Initializing Packet Capture Thread:
Info: Filtering packets on device eth0, searching for EQ client...
Warning: Spells: Failed to open: '/usr/local/share/showeq/spells_us.txt'
Warning: GuildMgr: Could not load guildsfile, /root/.showeq/tmp/guilds2.dat
Debug: ItemDB: Disabled
Info: Loading Filters from '/showeq'
Info: Loading Zone Filter File: /showeq
Info: Loading Zone Filter File: /showeq
Info: Categories Reloaded
Info: No Map found for zone 'unknown'!
Info: Checked for all variants of 'unknown.map', 'unknown.txt', and 'unknown_1.txt'
Info: in directories '/root/.showeq/maps' and '/usr/local/share/showeq/maps'!
Warning: EQStr: Failed to open '/usr/local/share/showeq/eqstr_us.txt'
In my series of different installs, I completely rm -rf'd /showeq and /root/.showeq. To answer your other question, I don't have any opcode files (at least I don't think so) in /root/.showeq

[root@localhost .showeq]# ls -R
.:
dumps logs maps tmp

./dumps:
dumpspawns.txt spellbook.txt

./logs:
exp.log

./maps:

./tmp:
lastPlayer.dat lastZone.dat
As before, thanks for taking the time to try and help with this.

S_B_R
09-22-2004, 02:45 PM
SEQ must be able to monitor all network traffic to and from your EQ box. A switch will prevent that from happening. Recompiling isn't going to make it work.

kaybek
09-22-2004, 02:58 PM
Thanks S_B_R. I'm looking into getting a simple hub and I'll try getting that set up on my network :)

datadog
09-22-2004, 04:16 PM
Be careful.. Not all 'Hubs' are in fact what they claim to be...

I highly recommend you follow others advice and search these forums for specific info. I believe there is a thread that lists a few specific models that still act like a true hub.

Its been a while since I have read the FAQ, but I believe it talks about this as well....

kaybek
09-22-2004, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the warning! :)

Reichfuhrer
10-06-2004, 02:29 PM
When I first started using SEQ I had this problem and I thought I had a hub. So I searched the low-budget ma and pa computer stores and bought an ultra cheap 10BaseT hub that ran off keyboard power; man that is dirtbag cheap! You really want a piece of crap, if you see one at a 2nd hand shop for 5 bucks, that's probably what you need. Switches are so cheap themselves that it's difficult to find a true hub anymore.

tanner
10-06-2004, 10:42 PM
Here is the text output I get when I start showeq:
<snip>
ShowEQ 5.0.0.14, released under the GPL.

No directly related to your problem, but I thought I'd pre-answer a question. :-)

5.0.0.15 is the latest snapshot. I do not think 5.0.0.14 will work with OoW.

What linux distro are you using?