PDA

View Full Version : Hangup during make

elminster
09-26-2004, 06:02 PM
I'm halfway sure I know what's going on, but I just want to get a consensus... I've got a K62-400 trying to run a full install of RH9 on 64 megs of RAM. I used to have a 128 stick in there as well, but it turns out that it's gone bad... When I do a make from the tarball that Zaphod posted the other day, it ends with the line..

then mv -f ".deps/interface/Tpo" ".deps/interface.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/interface.Tpo"; exit 1; fi

Then just stops. I can hear the drive still churning like there's something being read/written to/from it, but I don't get any kind of feedback on it. I'm assuming it's just because this was such a POS machine. I used to run the 4.x series on the same box when it had 196 megs of ram, and it worked alright... I'm just leaning towards needing more RAM to make this work. It hangs so bad it takes it at least 3-4 minutes to bring up a terminal window.

Cryonic
09-26-2004, 06:05 PM
wanna see what is going on:

top and free are your friends

elminster
09-26-2004, 07:55 PM
I saw pretty much exactly what I expected to see (although thanks for the commands, I didn't know how to find that.) Basically, all but a few hundred K of my RAM is being used, and 90% of the swap file. I figured that's why it was locking up, but I just wanted to ask some folks who knew better.

elf
09-27-2004, 02:54 AM
Sounds like it's building, and could just be hanging because it's having to page out memory so often. If it's constantly getting data from the page file on the harddrive (probably ATA 66?) then you are going to spend alot more time waiting on that to be transfered to RAM and used then you would if all the data fit in RAM.

BTW, what does top say your user/system use percents were? If thats not above normal, then I'd say you are just shuffleing data between page files and RAM, and to let it continue trying to finish that file. It could take awhile, maybe as long as a full kernel build. So just walk away, get some coffee, and see if it's still hung up after an hour or so.

elminster
09-27-2004, 06:51 AM
Actually, it's ATA-33. ;) This is an old ass machine. :) I'll take another look to see what the percentages are tonight, because I honestly can't remember what they were... All I was really noticing was the memory and page file usage. Gonna see if I can scrounge up some more RAM somewhere, too.

Spaz
10-02-2004, 07:54 AM
I had thought my machine was hung there as well. It normally flies through the builds but stops on that one for a few minutes.

It's a 2.8GHz p4 with a gig of RAM, using an ATA-133 drive.