PDA

View Full Version : Spawns are unknown

CuriousGeorge
10-16-2004, 01:25 PM
When I enter a new zone, everything works fine. All the PCs, and mobs show up. But soon after, any new spawns just appear as unknown in the spawn list. Seems as though it isn't consistent as far as how soon it happens (although now it's almost immediate - a few months ago it may have worked well for an hour or more b4 screwing up). Earlier today, it showed an unknown spawn, then a couple mobs showed as spawning correctly, and a couple PCs showed as entering the zone, then back to unknowns. Atm, I'm in the Bazaar and everything is coming in as unknown.

Have had this problem with SEQ for a long time. Had switched to the MySEQ for a few months and it never happened on the Windows app. Had trbl getting latest version of MySEQ to run so switched back to SEQ (I like the mapping better on SEQ anyway). I'm using the APT-GET Debian update which is great for a non-programmer like me.

My configuration is DSL to a Linksys router to a 3-Com hub then to the 2 PCs.

As I said, I'm no programmer (a friend set up Linnux on the second PC for me) and I have no clue as to what might be causing this problem. It doesn't seem a widespread issue as I can't find other posts on the subject. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.

uRit1u2CBBA=
10-16-2004, 01:39 PM
Sounds like the size of your spawnStruct isn't set right.

Check this (http://www.showeq.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5103) thread that shows you 3 Structure changes that you have to make from version .15 to get it to work with the Oct 13 patch. One of the changes is spawnStruct.

uRit1u2CBBA=
10-16-2004, 01:54 PM
If you have no clue about how C and structures work, you may have problems doing the changes. So if this is the case, your options are:

Have a friend who does know C do the changes for you, or

Wait for .16 to be released.

CuriousGeorge
10-16-2004, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I will have to get my friend to check those Structure changes but as I'm using the APT-GET command for the Debian package, I didn't even think the SEQ source was on my Linnux box.

Also, since SEQ didn't work at all after the 10/13/04 patch and now it does, I assumed those changes were made correctly (APT-GET UPDATE put a new version on yesterday).

purple
10-16-2004, 05:10 PM
Make sure you don't have a zoneopcodes.xml in your .showeq directory.

monster69
10-16-2004, 08:47 PM
Having the same problem with unknowns here.

I do have the 3 mods to everquest.h done, this is something else.

will do some more digging on what is missing....

Monster

I<3EQ
10-17-2004, 07:48 AM
I have a similar problem but only intermittently. Sometimes, all new spawns in a zone will be unknown. It's not tied to a specific zone and I can "fix" the problem by zoning. All old spawns and (usually) all new spawns will show up correctly then. This isn't a new problem for me in that it's happened with older versions of SEQ as well.

I'd always just assumed it was due to the client not catching something right on the first zone attempt and shrugged it off as an inconvienience.

BlueAdept
10-17-2004, 08:12 AM
I have a similar problem but only intermittently. Sometimes, all new spawns in a zone will be unknown. It's not tied to a specific zone and I can "fix" the problem by zoning. All old spawns and (usually) all new spawns will show up correctly then. This isn't a new problem for me in that it's happened with older versions of SEQ as well.

I'd always just assumed it was due to the client not catching something right on the first zone attempt and shrugged it off as an inconvienience.

This is due to SEQ losing sync. If SEQ misses a packet, it wont decode any more. If you look in the terminal window, it will say "giving up on finding packet xxxx" after that happens, no more new spawns.

If it happens frequently, a new hub, a new nic, or getting other trafic off of your hub might help.

Cleric
10-17-2004, 11:28 PM
When I summon a pet it shows up as unknown until I zone, but other peoples pets show up fine - this always happens.

I also get intermittent unknowns - not often, but they do happen.