PDA

View Full Version : New user trying to compile

MacLeod22
10-18-2004, 06:18 PM
I have tried following first the FAQ then I looked up a few posts about downloading and installing the beta of seq. I have downloaded it but can't get it to compile. I tried ' make -f MAkefile.dist ' and it gives me a big Are you really sure you want to be running this makefile' message then goes on to say 'If you are REALLY sure that you want to make/remake the build system you can do so by using the 'help' target of this makefile to see a list of its supported targets.'
As I am new to this I'm not quite sure how to do that. Am I doing something wrong? I'm using Redhat's Linux 8.0, I believe.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Mac

purple
10-18-2004, 08:08 PM
FAQ is out of date. Just do ./configure && make && make install

Freakyuno
10-19-2004, 06:53 AM
I'm using Redhat's Linux 8.0, I believe.

Your probably going to run into more problems with the newer builds on RH8, Recomend going to 9, or Fedora Core.

MacLeod22
10-22-2004, 05:05 PM
I'm still not able to run the make -f Makefile.dist for some reason. Am i doing something wrong? Oh I installed Redhat 9.0 now and still having the same problem.

I<3EQ
10-22-2004, 05:08 PM
What purple said

FAQ is out of date. Just do ./configure && make && make install

MacLeod22
10-22-2004, 05:13 PM
without doing the make? when I try that I get bash: ./configure: No such file or directory :(

purple
10-22-2004, 05:37 PM
Then you don't have the latest tarball, which once you do have also requires a hand patch from details in a thread in the developer forum.

MacLeod22
10-22-2004, 05:42 PM
Oh I didn't use a tarball, I thought I read it was better to use cvs and get it from there for Redhat 9? should I download a tarball? and if so which do I search for?

And thanks a ton for the quick response, I'm really hopong to get this up and running tonight.

purple
10-22-2004, 06:10 PM
http://www.showeq.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5065

http://www.showeq.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5103

Those have what you need to get up and running.

MacLeod22
10-22-2004, 06:29 PM
When I run make now after I untar and all that I get this error

make all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/root/showeq-5.0.0.15'
Making all in src
make[2]: Entering directory `/root/showeq-5.0.0.15/src'
if g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/usr/lib/qt-3.1/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -DPKGDATADIR=\"/usr/local/share/showeq/\" -I/usr/include/pcap -D_REENTRANT -O2 -Wall -g -ggdb -DDEBUG -finline-functions -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT=1 -DDISPLAY_ICONS=false -DICON_DIR=\"/eq-icons/\" -MT main.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/main.Tpo" -c -o main.o main.cpp; \
then mv -f ".deps/main.Tpo" ".deps/main.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/main.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
main.cpp: In function `void displayVersion()':
main.cpp:761: internal error: Segmentation fault
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <URL:http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/> for instructions.
make[2]: *** [main.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/showeq-5.0.0.15/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/showeq-5.0.0.15'
make: *** [all] Error 2

What am I missing?

Freakyuno
10-24-2004, 11:54 AM
Normally if you didnt get any ./configure errors, you shouldnt be having trouble doing your make or make install

Do you have a log of the ./configure output?

What version of gcc and qt are you using, and do you only have 1 version installed on your system?

MacLeod22
10-24-2004, 02:24 PM
I am running Redhat Linux 9.0. gcc version 3.2.2 qt version 3.1.1 I believe I only have one version of each installed. I'll attach the output from ./configure

Freakyuno
10-24-2004, 11:08 PM
Your ./configure seems perfectly in order, getting a seg fault at that point in compile has me clueless.

Gonna need one of the developers to see if they can nail it down why that function call would be faulting out on your system. Sorry bro.

Cryonic
10-25-2004, 12:33 AM
Seg Fault means bad hardware as the most likely culprit and nothing to do with the SEQ code

Freakyuno
10-25-2004, 07:55 AM
Bad memory is what I was thinking, but hate to throw that out there, because it requires a $$ investment to fix.

You can try this page to see if you can get it nailed down by process of elimination.

http://www.consistent.org/terran/memorycheck.shtml