PDA

View Full Version : ShowEQ watches wrong network device

MikeChance
11-20-2004, 10:43 AM
ok, I compiled using the directions that came with ShowEQ. Everything is fine except I have two problems. I am running Red Hat 9. ShowEQ v 5.0.0.16

I get the following error messages:
Unable to open file: usr/local/share/showeq/showeq.xml
Warning:Warning: Unknown Payload typename 'utf8' for opcode '01e7
Warning: pcap_error:pcap_open_live(eth0): bind: Network is down

Now, I've looked and the XML file isn't there. I've erased all files, re-extracted from the archive I downloaded, and recompiled several times... didn't help.

When I try to run "make -f makefile.dist", it says "no such file or directory"

The other problem: it is trying to watch my wired network device, I need it to watch my wireless(eth1)... how do I do that? (Changing the showeq load command from eth0 to eth1 doesn't work(Perhaps a pcap problem? Dunno how'd I fix that...)) (I have run ethereal and can see the traffic of the other three boxes on the network(2 are wireless, one wired) while also surfing, so I figure showeq will work over it, I just need to get showeq to USE it.)

I am almost a complete newbie at this. I had a single class in linux, which was only command line stuff like opening man pages and changing directories. Pretty much worthless.

LordCrush
11-20-2004, 11:44 AM
Use

showeq -i eth1

to start seq. It switches seq to the other networkcard.

MikeChance
11-20-2004, 11:59 AM
testing...

and now it says Warning: pcap_error:pcap_open_live(eth1=192.168.1.101): ioct1: No such device

tanner
11-20-2004, 03:26 PM
What wifi card and driver are you using?

elf
11-20-2004, 05:03 PM
if your wifi card is associating with the access point, chances are you won't be able to sniff the packets. Most wifi cards that I've seen will not enter promisc mode and maintain the ability to send like a wired card will. You quite possibly need to manually set it to Monitor or Promisc mode, which will depend on the card and driver if it's even possible.

MikeChance
11-22-2004, 11:11 AM
The wifi card is a Dell Truemobile(Broadcom Airforce) (no native Linux support), using the xp drivers and DriverLoader (http://linuxant.com/driverloader).

Like I said once, Ethereal *CAN sniff the packets from the other boxes on the network*

elf
11-22-2004, 08:11 PM
Not familier with the DriverLoader system, what device is your wificard on, wifi0, eth1, eth0, wireless0? Was Ethereal showing both the wireless and wired computers at the same time? Might help us to know your network layout, what devices connect to what.

Also, an I may be wrong about this, but I thought the 'make -f makefile.dist' command wasn't needed after the latest release. I havn't compiled from scratch lately, been applying patches, so I havn't tried with the latest tarball.

CeleSEQ
11-23-2004, 02:50 AM
Yeah, you almost certainly don't want to be running the make -f makefile.dist unless you're doing development. Grab the tarball version and build that by unpacking, then ./configure, then make, then make install.

You could also try grabbing my source rpm if you want to try that. I haven't tested it on RH9, but it will probably work. You might need to change some of the versions in the "requires" statements in the spec file though.

MikeChance
11-23-2004, 11:25 AM
well I only tried the make -f makefile.dist when I ran out of things I could think of to try hehe

I will try the tarball version - thnx.