PDA

View Full Version : Updating QT

ThePowerTool
12-01-2004, 11:00 AM
I am now up-and-running with 5.0.0.16.

Every time I upgrade and run into problems I am almost always pleasantly surprised at the stability of SEQ. Kudos to the dev team.

Amazingly enough, almost all of the problems I run into are documented here in one form or another and available for my reference when I play with that funny button. I can't remember which button but it's usually found between "New Posts" and "Quick Links."

This post is to comment on my experience in upgrading QT in conjunction with installing and compiling 5.0.0.16.

I started by following the instructions, downloading 5.0.0.16 and extracting it. After running ./configure I noticed that my QT was very old (yes, it's been a while). ./configure returned an error concerning my version of QT not working or no longer being supported. I knew this because I had checked the forums, I had simply forgotten because of the delay between reading and installing.

Installing and/or upgrading QT is surprisingly simple. You can search here or visit Trolltech for details, but here it is in 3 simple steps -
1. download and extract the tarball/gz into an appropriate directory (usually in /usr somewhere -- /usr/local and /usr/lib seem to be the two common options).
2. update your environment variables first and then perform the compile (as instructed to here and at Trolltech).
3. update your symlink or move the directory (I prefer symlinks) then modify the reference in /etc/ld.so.conf (or appropriate file based upon your dist.)

These instructions are very high-level and generic. Don't reply to this note about them--they are only intended as reference for this note (patience, I'm getting there). FYI - you'll note I prefer the tarball to install QT because it eliminates the challenges that packages can create (especially challenges like me smacking my head because I forgot to follow up the QT rpm with the qt-devel rpm - doh - something you don't have to worry about if you use the tarball).

Given that my system met all pre-reqs except QT and I've now upgraded QT to 3.2.3 you'd think I'm about to have a smooth and flawless compile. NOT.

First I had to discover why ./configure couldn't find my includes and then libraries. I screwed up twice. First I had to fix my environment variables (and then recompile QT). Then I had to update the reference in the ld.so.conf (thankfully no recompile required for this). ./configure completes successfully! Sweet!

Now make gives me a strange and new error referencing a .moc file and stating that it was compiled with an unsupported version of QT. It helped that the error specirfically stated the unsupported version of QT was 3.0.0.5. After figuring out that the .moc file in question was in my 5.0.0.16 source tree I sighed relief that I wouldn't have to re-compile QT yet again. I just needed to do a "make distclean" -- the next compile went flawlessly and I'm happily SEQing away again.

I hope this helps someone at some point.

If you're new, here's a list of tasks I would suggest. They should get you to a successful install.

1. RTFF (that last "F" stands for FAQs)
2. RTFF (that last "F" stands for Forum[s])
3. Read the INSTALL and INSTALL.newbies that comes with the dist. of SEQ
4. Search, search, search, search. (That means use the search button).

There are several FAQs at this site. While some, or many, may be dated at times, you will still find them very helpful. Some aren't even called FAQs and you simply have to find them in the forums, but they are FAQs. Seach will help you find these.

Search. If you are really clueless about search, just click it and type in random words from the error you are seeing or on the subject in question. If you type in an exact error and don't get any hits, take out words one-at-a-time until you do get hits. Experiment with this. Most people that post errors will post the correct error but may only use the first few words in the error message -- think about that when creating your searches.

Good luck and bring your asbestos suit if you post here without at least making a basic attempt at the 4 suggested steps above.

tanner
12-01-2004, 04:05 PM
I am now up-and-running with 5.0.0.16.

Every time I upgrade and run into problems I am almost always pleasantly surprised at the stability of SEQ. Kudos to the dev team.

What distro of linux are you using?

What version of the distro?

Nice generic info, but would be fair more helpful if you could identify your version and distro.

Cryonic
12-01-2004, 06:35 PM
He didn't have a problem, just a tale to tell, Tanner....

tanner
12-01-2004, 09:22 PM
What makes you think I thought he had a problem?

A QT upgrade saga, while generic, would be more helpful if it could be put into a context of a distro and version of distro.

Since I'd bet that most people will search the forums for 'slackware QT upgrade' or something like that.

Cryonic
12-02-2004, 12:33 AM
The questions out of the dark without any prefix suggesting otherwise, including the wanting to have the specific distro/version identified. The instructions as posted will work for anyone with more than half a brain on any distro, so guess we could make this more findable

Mandrake
Redhat
Suse
Slackware
Mepis
Knoppix
Ubuntu
White Box
Debian - Woody Sarge Sid

ThePowerTool
12-08-2004, 09:29 AM
Thanks Cryonic, you caught exactly what I was going for.