PDA

View Full Version : some help needed getting Seq running

MacLeod22
01-01-2005, 03:39 PM
I am finally able to compile and get showeq running but it doesn't seem to pick up anything, I am running RedHat 9 and have my eq computer and my linux box running SEQ hooked into the same hub thingy. What am I doing wrong? Do i need to tell seq where to look somehow? Thanks for any help

~Mac

uRit1u2CBBA=
01-01-2005, 05:10 PM
into the same hub thingy.

This is what I'm afraid of.

Are you sure it's a true hub? Or is it a switch/Router?

If you don't know, tell us the manufacturer and the model number and someone can tell you.

It needs to be a true hub, or it won't work.

LordCrush
01-02-2005, 04:11 PM
The search for true HUBS will become a REAL Quest 8)

Happy New Year

--- LC

MacLeod22
01-03-2005, 05:39 PM
It's a Microsoft (I know, I know) Broadband wired base station. Is that maybe a router and if so is that my problem? Where do I go to find a good, and hopefully cheap hub?

~Mac

uRit1u2CBBA=
01-03-2005, 06:01 PM
Yup - that's a router.

I would look at ebay. I did a search for "100 hub -switch" and found a few that looks like should work.

I placed bids on 3 of them with minor bidding wars before I won an auction.

Including shipping, expect to spend about $20 - $25 -- that's about what the acutions that I participated in went for ($15-$20 ending price not including shipping).

Unlikly you'll find one in a store anymore.

You'll have to dig into the descriptions a little to make sure it isn't a switch being sold as a hub .. something like "plug-and-go" "no setup required" are good things in this case.

Good luck in your search.

MacLeod22
01-03-2005, 09:21 PM
Once I get an actual hub, how should I connect it. Should anything go into that router?

uRit1u2CBBA=
01-04-2005, 02:48 AM
Still use the router so you get a private IP address.

Then instead of connecting your PC directly to the router, plug the hub into the router, then plug your PC and linux box into the hub.

The router should then supply private IP addresses to both boxes via DHCP (if you have it set up that way).

Depending on the situation, you'll need to be plugged into the hub's inbound port or one of the normal ports that you'd plug you're PC in -- I always guess one way and guess wrong , then change it so it works :)

Walpurgiss
01-04-2005, 10:08 AM
Normal port from the router to uplink on the hub.

Linksys does sell true hubs direct to end users from their website, so if you get really desparate and don't mind paying what they think is full retail (iirc like $40) you can get one direct from them there.

purple
01-04-2005, 10:21 AM
I SO wouldn't trust anything that says linksys on it to be a hub, even if it says HUB in flashing blue letters on the box. NetGear DS104 + eBay looks like 10 bucks.

CeleSEQ
01-04-2005, 12:53 PM
Best source for real hubs is to look up computer surplus dealers in your area. Find places that remarket or recycle computer hardware. They'll have hubs, and probably cheaper than you can do shipping on ebay.

Walpurgiss
01-04-2005, 08:22 PM
Linksys separates their routers from hubs, even going as far as to explicitely call the hubs 'dumb hubs,' and describing how a hub is different from a router explictely in the description of them.

Worked fine for me /shrug

Though one thing to make sure you realize, is even on their dumb hubs, they have speed autosensing capabilities, and if your NICs aren't both the same speed (i.e. 10mbps, 100mbps, or 1000mbps) their attached port on the hub will autosense this and change that ports speed. This will make the two ports of different speeds not see eachother like a real hub.

CeleSEQ
01-04-2005, 09:38 PM
Yeah, most 10/100 hubs are that way... you can think of them logically as a 100baseT hub and a 10baseT hub with a tiny little switch between the two hubs. So all the 100baseT ports are on one network segment, and all the 10baseTs on another.

This does have some interesting uses... for instance, I isolate my inbound network connection from my SEQ LAN segment by putting all the 100M client machines together, then running a 10M nic in my firewall.

MacLeod22
01-06-2005, 12:22 AM
Finally working, thank you guys sooo much. Is there a way to look and see what flags your character has? I swear I have killed all five minis in sol ro but still can't access the tower.. I would love to be able to check what is up.

uRit1u2CBBA=
01-06-2005, 02:33 AM
Flags before the last patch was stored only server side, but there was about 7k more data in the character packet with the last patch, which is suspected to be flagging data, but no one has had a chance to really analyze the data.

(one nasty run-on-sentence, even for me . :) )

If you've not yet killed SolRo, you should be able to get a list of the mini flags you have from the Seer in POK. If you have killed SolRo, no way to check.