PDA

View Full Version : Omg Help!

HelpME
01-07-2005, 10:11 PM
Is there a manual for the installation of this thing for us non-unix using folks? Something written in layman's terms? I am Using Red Hat Workstation with all the patches.

Thanks.

uRit1u2CBBA=
01-07-2005, 10:56 PM
The installation instructions are usually given at the same time that a tarball release (official or unofficial) is announced.

Tell us what you tried, and we can try to help you from there.

But this site is usually "RTFM" and good luck :)

Walpurgiss
01-08-2005, 01:05 AM
Assuming your Unix/Linux environment is already setup properly, then you're just a few commands away from configuring, compiling, and installing showeq.

Going with that assumption, you would first open a terminal. This can either be done with something like xterm that opens a terminal window within your X Windows session, or by using whatever means your distro uses to change from your X-Server to a plain terminal. Often this is Control + Alt + Fkey, where Fkey is F1, F2, F3, F4, F5, or F6. Generally, F7 is back to your X- Environment.

From here, you'd want to log in as root. If you went to a real terminal using the Function key shortcut, you would just log in. If you used something like xterm, chances are you will need to use the su command.

type su and hit enter, then enter your root password. this will log you in as root.
From here, you want to use the normal commands like cd to change into the directory where the tarball was unpacked.

the commands to build showeq and then install it are generally as follows:
./configure
make
make install

Once that is done, you should be able to run showeq.

If your unix/linux environment is not able to compile showeq, that's beyond the scope of what i'm posting right now. But if you use redhat or fedora you should be fine to compile if you selected to install the packages involving software development for X-windows, KDE, Gnome, etc.

HelpME
01-08-2005, 08:08 PM
Ok got it installed and working kindof. Seems when zone in to a new zone, I see that map very quickly and it keeps defaulting to the befallen map. Keeps loading some befallen filer. Any idea how to get the maps to say on the zone I am in?

uRit1u2CBBA=
01-08-2005, 09:12 PM
What version did you install? Latest is 5.0.0.16a.

BlueAdept
01-08-2005, 09:13 PM
There are several things it could be. I would guess that you have a switch and not a hub. There are other possibilities though.

Try looking at the FAQ http://www.showeq.net/forums/faq.php? and try the search with the problem you have http://www.showeq.net/forums/search.php?

If all else fails, post your complete setup. How your network is set up and what brand/model your hub is.

HelpME
01-08-2005, 09:57 PM

Where do I get the newest version? I downloaded via the FAQ.

uRit1u2CBBA=
01-08-2005, 10:21 PM
FAQ's a little out of date. As is the 4.x version.

Information on 5.0.0.16a release can be found here (http://www.showeq.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5156)

Also look for information on maps 1.0 release (in the same message as 5.0.0.15 -- which you don't need) can be found here (http://www.showeq.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5065)

(unlike 4.x releases and pre 5.0.0.15 releases, maps are no longer part of the ShowEQ release package, they are seperate).

compilation instructions exist on the info pages I linked.

I would delete all of the 4.x source code you've worked with and start fresh from the tarballs.

HelpME
01-08-2005, 11:05 PM
Great info! Thanks! Last question. Is there anything I need to do in ShowEQ to have it pick those maps up?

Thanks and I really appreciate the help.

uRit1u2CBBA=
01-08-2005, 11:23 PM
You shouldn't have to.

The problem that you had with 4.x is that the player info structure that contains information about your player had upgrades since 4.x was most recent. The field that tells what zone you are in had moved. Since 4.x was looking in the wrong place, it always thought that you were in the same zone, so pulled up the same map all the time.

When you get .16a installed, it will get the proper zone.

HelpME
01-08-2005, 11:34 PM
Everything is installed. Will try it tomorrow. Thanks again!

HelpME
01-10-2005, 04:54 PM
After using now have a couple questions.

What is the easiest way to setup a window for when your local nosy GM comes into zone?

Also, it will not save windows postions tho that option is checked. Any advice?

Finally, what is the easiest way to update this release when the time comes?

Thanks!

uRit1u2CBBA=
01-10-2005, 05:50 PM
To answer the last of your questions -- SEQ often breaks after patches. Usually some solutions are found withing hours of servers coming back up, but usually at least 24 hours if more than simple things have changed.

People will start to post code updates that if you're comfortable with doing yourself, go ahead.

If you're not comforable with it, you'll have to wait until someone rolls out a new tarball.

HelpME
01-10-2005, 05:52 PM
Ok. How about the GM questions.

purple
01-10-2005, 07:38 PM
SEQ is a passive sniffer. You don't need to turn it off when you see a GM or anything silly like that.

BlueAdept
01-10-2005, 07:51 PM
SEQ is a passive sniffer. You don't need to turn it off when you see a GM or anything silly like that.

True, but just dont mention it to people in game, dont hint that you know more than you should and dont make bee lines to the "rare" spawns.

Using SEQ is still a bannable offense, but since it is passive, only your actions can betray you.

HelpME
01-22-2005, 04:26 PM
Interesting....

Just installed it on another latpop and now instead of seeing the guild players belong to all I see is numbers after their names. Any ideas on how to fix?

Walpurgiss
01-22-2005, 06:44 PM
Is that every player, or just certain guilds? Sometimes new guilds you only see their 'number' for a while until their guild name trickles down whatever levels of awareness are neccessary for you to see it in seq.

purple
01-22-2005, 07:36 PM
Having SEQ running while you login should regenerate the guild data file I believe. If it isn't, then there's a problem somewhere.

uRit1u2CBBA=
01-22-2005, 09:38 PM
purple is right .. each server has its own "guilds.dat" file that is sent to the client at the time of server select (which then seq "takes" it by sniffing).

If you have seq running before choosing a server, you should no longer see numbers instead of guild names.