PDA

View Full Version : missing step. need a pointer

eqhunter
02-10-2005, 10:21 PM
I goto the showeq dir and type ./configure. I get the error ./configure
Also tried the old make -f Makefile.dist no luck.

[root@localhost showeq]# ls
acinclude.m4 COPYING FAQ NEWS showeq.proj
AUTHORS CVS INSTALL README showeq.spec
BUGS doc INSTALL.newbies README.libEQ src
ChangeLog Doxyfile m4 ROADMAP TODO
conf doxygen.am Makefile.am showeq.1
configure.in doxygen.cfg Makefile.dist showeq.kdevelop
[root@localhost showeq]# ./configure
./configure
[root@localhost showeq]#

hope you all can help

CeleSEQ
02-11-2005, 12:23 AM
First off, realize that building from CVS is NOT RECOMMENDED for most users. Official releases include tarballs which are considered the normal distribution method for non-developers. You could probably expect an official release of what is in CVS soonish.

That said, you're not that far off. There's a little issue with the CVS Makefile.dist that is keeping it from making Makefile.in the first time you make -f. To make it work, from a pristine copy checked out from cvs, do:

$ make -f Makefile.dist all
$ make -f Makefile.dist all (yes, do it twice)
$ ./configure

And hopefully you can figure the rest out, because there probably won't be anyone else who will provide further support for CVS builds.

Could_Be_Anyone
02-11-2005, 05:54 AM
First off, realize that building from CVS is NOT RECOMMENDED for most users. Official releases include tarballs which are considered the normal distribution method for non-developers. You could probably expect an official release of what is in CVS soonish.

That said, you're not that far off. There's a little issue with the CVS Makefile.dist that is keeping it from making Makefile.in the first time you make -f. To make it work, from a pristine copy checked out from cvs, do:

$ make -f Makefile.dist all
$ make -f Makefile.dist all (yes, do it twice)
$ ./configure

And hopefully you can figure the rest out, because there probably won't be anyone else who will provide further support for CVS builds.

That's odd.. I don't know what the answer to the original problem is, but, I don't know if doing "make -f Makefile.dist all" twice is the answer. I did not have to do that, and I have a working install from the current CVS.

What I did have to do was "export WANT_AUTOMAKE=1.7" to set automake to that version. Apparently, there are issues with newer versions. This is on a Gentoo 2004.3 system, your mileage may vary.

eqhunter
02-11-2005, 01:41 PM
thanks for both post... Im at work so will have to try this later..

for someone with ADD :eek: I end up relearnig how to do this each time...

eqhunter
02-11-2005, 10:06 PM
That's odd.. I don't know what the answer to the original problem is, but, I don't know if doing "make -f Makefile.dist all" twice is the answer. I did not have to do that, and I have a working install from the current CVS.

What I did have to do was "export WANT_AUTOMAKE=1.7" to set automake to that version. Apparently, there are issues with newer versions. This is on a Gentoo 2004.3 system, your mileage may vary.

didnt work and now I get the

Removing old files.......................................... done!
Generating aclocal.m4 from configure.in..................... done!
Generating configure headers (config.h.in).................. done!
Generating Makefile.in from Makefile.am.....................make: *** [install-sh] Error 1

error

Dedpoet
02-12-2005, 11:03 AM
You didn't say what distribution you are running. If it's Redhat 9, you could try the steps in this post (http://www.showeq.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5211). That worked perfectly for me. If you're using something like Fedora Core, CeleSEQ recently put up some RPM's for the current version. Details and directions are here (http://www.showeq.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5217).

eqhunter
02-12-2005, 01:25 PM
sorry... Im using redhat workstation. I still get updates from redhat so it should not be out of date but will install the software fome the other link

cjd1
02-12-2005, 02:08 PM
read the Makefile.dist.dbg. Make sure autoconf, automake, and aclocal all point to the newer versions as well (each command with --version probably). On Mandrake, I had to make new symbolic links in /etc/alternates.

CeleSEQ
02-13-2005, 02:04 AM
sorry... Im using redhat workstation. I still get updates from redhat so it should not be out of date but will install the software fome the other link If you mean you're running RH Enterprise Linux 3 Workstation, then if you download the SRPM from http://gibbled.com/seq, then do

# rpm -ivh <srpm filename here>

then

# cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
# rpmbuild -bb showeq.spec

Then it should go ahead and compile or complain fairly specifically and tell you what you need to build it if you're missing a prerequisite. Assuming it works, the rpm it builds will be in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/

If that doesn't work for some reason, copy the output of

$ cat /etc/redhat-release

to here, that's the most precise way to know precisely which version of redhat you're running. I'm busy tomorrow, but on Monday if you're still having issues and it's on RHEL, I'll take a look at what is going on with building on RHEL.

eqhunter
02-13-2005, 02:45 AM
If you mean you're running RH Enterprise Linux 3 Workstation,

yes thats what I have... I have it now working.. I use this link (http://www.showeq.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5211) and all is good...

I ready would like to thanks all of you that have helped me. :rolleyes:

Also like to thanks the devs

hunter