PDA

View Full Version : cvs update ( yeah i searched)

Madd
02-14-2002, 09:39 AM
I cant get this cvs update thing to work ( linux newb) so I was wondering if I should just re-install it and would that work just as good?

I searched the archives and found a few posts but they werent dumbed down enough for me. I R smart just not linux smart :)

high_jeeves
02-14-2002, 09:45 AM
cmon people, this has been posted multiple times, and if that wasnt enough, there are atleast 3 good ways to figure it out by yourself.

First, for the non-exteremely lazy (are there any of those here?)

man cvs
cvs --help
www.cvshome.com

For the extremely lazy (who dont seem to understand that button above labeled search):

1) go into the root directory for the showEQ source (probably ~/showeq for many people)
2) type c
3) type v
4) type s
5) type <space>
6) type -
7) type z
8) type 3
9) type <space>
10) type u
11) type p
12) type d
13) type a
14) type t
15) type e
16) press enter (The big key on the right side)

If this is not clear enough, I will post a HOWTO on typing next.

--Jeeves

maco2580
02-14-2002, 09:52 AM
Create a directory called Install (or whatever)
type:
cd install
cvs - :pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq .
then type
cd showeq
make -f Makefile.dist
./configure
make
make install

Then launch showeq
If you get an error during the configure, you need to specify your exports, but I don't think that is nessicary anymore.

fgay trader
02-14-2002, 10:03 AM
If you get an error during the configure, you need to specify your exports, but I don't think that is nessicary anymore.

Yes, it is necessary if you installed qt 2.3.2 from the rpm's (found on this forum, posted by some kind soul) instead of compiling it manually, since it goes into a different dirrectory.

-FGay Trader er... GFay :D

Madd
02-14-2002, 10:22 AM
Its soo easy theres 3 posts with different information right there... ;)

on another note... Where is a post or file that tells how to use filters and general usage of showeq?

PLEASE ... NO BOARD NAZI'S NEED REPLY

high_jeeves
02-14-2002, 11:09 AM
Well, considering your request was for how to UPDATE from CVS, neither of the posts above are correct. maco's post will do a full checkout of the source (not an update, including downloading v3.1.2, and all of the other "old" stuff that is no longer relevant). In addition, it will not update your existing source, but rather create a new source tree in a new directory.

fgay trader is correct in saying that once you have the new source, you need to rebuild the same way you built before.

Also, seven posts below yours is one titled "How do you perform a CVS update?". What exactly did you type in to the search feature? did you try looking at the help page at all?

I get annoyed when people ask simple questions that have been repeatedly answered, and should be easy enough to solve to begin with. Call me a board nazi if you will, but i'd rather be that than a board idiot.

--Jeeves

Madd
02-14-2002, 11:15 AM
I read that post and 10 others like it but none of the crap worked for me. i tried it from the seq folder from the showeq folder and still it didnt work.

what you wrote
cvs -z3 update

doesnt work either for me.

so there is my delima, and for the record I would rather use map that are the size of a freakin quarter than catch any more bad attitude. If i could help anyone on this board I would do so even it it meant repeating myself a few times.

high_jeeves
02-14-2002, 11:22 AM
Are you executing that command from the SOURCE directory (not the binary directory)? Are you executing that command as the same user as you initially did? What error message are you getting when you type cvs -z3 update? If it says something about not being logged in, then try logging in:

cvs login (the password is empty).

If you are on as a different user, you may need to specify your CVSROOT

by adding "-d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq" to each cvs command.

If you tried this command as you read it in the other threads asking the same question, and it failed, please respond to those threads with your error message.

once again, all of this information is readily available by typing "man cvs" from the command line.

Here is EXACTLY what i did to update my showEQ:

cd showeq (the directory i initially built the source from)
cvs -z3 update
<build as normal>

to build as normal:

export QTDIR=/usr/local/qt-2.3.2
export CC=/usr/bin/gcc3
export CXX=/usr/bin/g++3
(these lines will vary by your installation)
make -f Makefile.dist
./configure
make
make install

the only new command here is cvs -z3 update.

--Jeeves

Madd
02-14-2002, 11:45 AM
Thanks for that.. I'm going good now. My CVSROOT was not set. I set it using the export command

export CVSROOT=:pserver:[email protected] :/cvsroot/seq

Thank you for your time and help

Sneaky
02-14-2002, 01:05 PM
Then if none of the post are correct why doesn't someone with the proper method create a thread with the corrected information and have it made sticky....or is that just too much for the board Nazi's?

Cryonic
02-14-2002, 01:10 PM
because the proper method has been posted over and over again.

cd showeq
cvs -z3 update

done.

high_jeeves
02-14-2002, 04:29 PM
Exactly Cryonic.
Assuming the checkout was done correctly, and you are in the source directory. All that should be done is "cvs -z3 update".

KSti
02-14-2002, 11:50 PM
The proper method is PART of fryfrog's install guide. Look at the bottom. Clear as day instructions for updating, including the export lines and all the rest.

Zeppo
02-15-2002, 07:37 AM
Step by step:
Change into the directory where all your showeq files are.
Mine was in
/root/showeq/linux

$ make distclean
$ cvs -z3 update
$ make -f Makefile.dist
$ ./configure && make
$ make install

Then run as normal.
This worked for me.

maco2580
02-15-2002, 07:51 AM
You are correct, My method isnt exactly correct, it is for a full install, but it would have worked. That is the method I do when I CVS, I run a full install, and maybe I am wrong, but my SEQ is working and I am happy.

S_B_R
02-15-2002, 02:21 PM
One other thing that would have ben VERY Helpful from the start of this thread was to post the error message he got when he tried the "other" methods.... someone would have told him right away that he needed to set CVSROOT... /sigh

Also if your going to start another thread atleast give it a better Subject than "CVS Update" something like: "CVS Error" then post the error message.... it would have been MUCH faster than asking the exact same question that Has been answered many many times already...

It's not so much that answering the same questions over and over is that bad. It when you answer a question only to find out that the question they asked isn't really what they wanted to know. Basically I would rather repeat answers to several people with specific questions than to try several times to answer a question that is broad and in the end not the right question. That's why everyone says to use the search function. When you use the search function it gives you a better idea of what answer you are looking for, that is if it doesn't give you the exact answer.

It's the old Tech support call problem.

Customer: "My computer is not working"
Tech support: "How is it not working?"
Customer: "I can't get application XYZ to run"
Tech support: "Are you getting an Error message of any kind?"
Customer: "Yes"
Tech Support: "Can you tell me what the Error message says?"
Customer: "No, I'm not at my computer right now"
Tech Support: "well next time the error message comes up wirte it down and give us a call back ok."
Customer: "Well you're not much help! thanks for nothing!"

If the Customer would have been more specfic the call would have gone much better.

Customer: "When I try and run appilcation XYZ I get an error message saying '123'
Tech Support: "Ok all you have to do is ABC."
Customer: "Wow thanks I'll try that."

can you tell I did tech support for a living.... :D

Cryonic
02-15-2002, 03:28 PM
funny, the way I do it doesn't require me to set the CVSROOT environment variable. I do the exact same thing for Sins as for SEQ.

cd showeq
cvs -z3 update
cd ../sins
cvs -z3 update

and both work without the variable set. why, because it pulls that information from showeq/CVS/Root and sins/CVS/Root.

Madd
02-15-2002, 06:18 PM
STFU

There was more than one given way to do it and on some of the ways that wasnt the error. My QUESTION was should I do a re-install or could someone really dumb down the instructions.

I really think some of you guys are serious asses, only responding to berate or demean other. Get a freaking life and stop being a arrogant bully.

high_jeeves
02-15-2002, 06:35 PM
Actually, the reason I was so nasty in particular was your title... (yeah i searched). When in actuality, there is no way you possible searched, or didnt search for anything related to what you needed. I searched "update" and came up with 2 threads with the answer. Three threads below your post when it originally came up was the EXACT question with a subject that made it VERY clear as to what was being asked.

I agree with S_B_R, you didnt ask the question you wanted the answer to, the answer to your question was clear. Assuming that you were trying to update from CVS, you do not need a CVSROOT unless you specifically went in and deleted the CVS/Root file, or you were doing a full checkout instead of updateding from CVS.

Dont complain because you asked a shitty question that has been answered correctly in other places. Garbage in, Garbage out.

--Jeeves

Ataal
03-21-2002, 12:30 PM
Try using the search utility and put the word "cvs" in there, you'll get the "you must use a word that's 4 letters or longer" message, so unless you know how to get around that, demeaning people for not knowing how to use a search utility that is less than user-friendly, doesn't lend you much respect.

high_jeeves
03-21-2002, 12:49 PM
Sorry, I cant resist. Try searching for update.

--Jeeves

Ataal
05-05-2002, 02:53 PM
See, that's just the type of response that power-tripping kids (oh wait, did I say kids? I meant children) like to post. If you just use "update" you'll get 7 pages of crap that you'll spend more time "sifting" through than you would by just asking. The true problem is the horrible search funtion that only sees words that have more than three letters. There are tons of acronyms out there that would be impossible to search for.

Although most of the time people keep asking the same questions over and over and over again, you wouldn't get half as many threads concerning CVS updates if the search could actually search for CVS updates and only bring up those threads.

Ratt
05-05-2002, 08:12 PM
If you just use "update" you'll get 7 pages of crap that you'll spend more time "sifting" through than you would by just asking. The true problem is the horrible search funtion that only sees words that have more than three letters.

This is a freaking beauty... I should frame this and hang it on the SEQ front page.

So instead of wasting YOUR time "Sifting through" all of that, you'd rather waste 5 - 10 other peoples time just so you won't be inconvenienced... heh.

Sorry buddy, but the onus is on YOU to search. When you've exhausted all the other possibilities, THEN ask your question. If you fail to follow this simple procedure, you are going to get flamed for being a lazy asshole.

I find it ironic that you bitch about having to sift through all that junk to find your answer... when it's people who post the exact same question countless times over that are the CAUSE of the problem to begin with. So when you post your message because you are too lazy to sift through the past messages, you are adding one more message the next person has to sift through. Talk about inconsiderate.

high_jeeves
05-05-2002, 10:14 PM
Especially since the answer is in the FIRST THREE THREADS when you do a search for "update".

Also, just for fun, I did a google search for cvs update. Answer is on page one.

Then i did a search of groups.google for cvs update. Answer is on page one.

I hate to overcomplicate your life by having to sort through all this crap (one page in each search), so please.. just bother everyone else with your extremely simple question. I have a few people just like you that work for me... instead of bother to spend 20 minutes doing research, they would rather ask a question that is going to take 10 minutes of their time, and 20 minutes of somebody elses time... notice the problem here?

--Jeeves

high_jeeves
05-05-2002, 10:22 PM
And just to add in, if you could search for CVS, the majority of the threads on this board have CVS in them, so that would be even more useless... Thats the whole reason that the search engine doesnt allow 3 characters or less, because three letter combinations appear so often that the search degrades to become basically random. And contrary to what you may beleive, the vB search engine doesnt run using google or yahoo technology, but rather uses an extremely basic pattern matching technology.

Next time you feel like calling people here names, atleast have some idea of what you are talking about first...

--Jeeves

Spaz
05-06-2002, 12:26 PM
There's a section in the smoothwall manual about how to conduct yourself on a message board when asking for help... it's fantastic.

I'd cut and paste the relevant sections, but I think the people likely to take the time to read it are not the people that generally ask first, look later.

high_jeeves
05-06-2002, 02:11 PM
I just read that section in the smoothwall manual... It is excellent, and should be read by everyone on this board! It explains, in detail, how to find answers before you waste everyone elses time, and how to provide details about your situation instead of just asking a silly question like "how do I update"...

--Jeeves

monster69
05-06-2002, 06:25 PM
Wow, c00l, where do I find that manual?

BAHAHAHAHAHA

Just kidding,

here's a link though if anyone is interested:
http://www.smoothwall.org/download/pdf/docs/0.9.9/doc.faq.pdf

mbozio
05-10-2002, 04:36 AM
anyway, this board is about seq... not cvs. If u need documentation about cvs u should get them at the cvs web site (www.cvshome.org).

Mr. Suspicious
05-28-2002, 10:14 AM
Try using the search utility and put the word "cvs" in there, you'll get the "you must use a word that's 4 letters or longer" message

Have you actually tried this? I just did, search on CVS: 99 replies, K thnx.

Zeppo
05-28-2002, 02:30 PM
Hey, Mr.

Not to point out the obvious, but have you thought that maybe it has been fixed in the 2 and a half months since that was pointed out?
When this thread first appeared so long ago I did try it after it was stated not to work so I could test it for myself.
It did not work at the time.

Wash the sand out of your vagina now, no one likes a grouch.