PDA

View Full Version : Help patching

tweissm
02-18-2005, 09:03 PM
Hi, I recently got a box with ShowEQ installed on it, running Red Hat Linux. I see the recent patch broke it, so I am trying to figure out how to patch it. However, I have basically zero knowledge about Linux. Would someone be kind enough to give me instructions on doing this? I have read a number of posts in these forums and the FAQ and am getting a bit of an idea on how to do it, but would appreciate a concise line-item description on how to do it.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Take care...

Tweissm

I<3EQ
02-18-2005, 10:23 PM
First, bought SEQ boxes don't have a very good reputation around here. Be prepared for that. :p

Second, from what I've seen the people selling these things usually claim to offer an automated update service. Why aren't you using that? Does it not work? Despite my initial scam flags popping up, I've always kind of assumed those scripts are the reason we don't get more "why doesn't my eBayed ShowEQ box work anymore?" questions around here.

Lastly, read the FAQ (which is kind of out of date but still contains some ok info), read the forums back a month or two. If you still don't have an answer, try a search. Ninety percent of questions asked in these can be answered from those sources (or at least it seems like it's 90% sometimes).

You'll endure a barrage of negativity from the fact you bought the machine alone. Not reading up opens you to a whole new level of flame.

tweissm
02-18-2005, 10:39 PM
NO...the auto-update does not seem to work. ShowEQ does load up - just won't recognize the EQ client.

Sorry to be such a newb. I guess if people want to flame me for asking genuinely for help in a help section, not much I can do about that.
I have read the FAQ, but piecing all the info together when I know next to nothing about Linux is a struggle. Sure would appreciate someone laying out a patch guideline. If there is one that I have missed, please point me to it.

Take care...

Tweissm

BlueAdept
02-18-2005, 11:38 PM
First off. I want to go on record for saying I really dislike people who support those assholes who sell those SEQ boxes. Those assholes dont support the project, they are just fucking scam artists. To top it off, when their scripts break, all their "customers" come complaining to us that thier SEQ boxs are broken.

My suggestion is to format the HD, put fedora core 3 on it (full install). Learn how to use Linux and then read the FAQ, then read message board, then use the search and then re-read the message board.

Then after you figure things out and get SEQ running, you should donate to the EFF (http://www.eff.org/) instead of the prick who you already gave your money to. After that, you should thank the people who actually take the time to fix the program after Sony breaks it (ie zaphod, purple, codepig, and many others). Lastly, you should thank Ratt for saving the project so long ago, putting up with everyones crap and for keeping an intrest in it.

tweissm
02-19-2005, 12:41 AM
Wow, guess I came to the wrong place to ask a genuine question :/

If you are angry at the people who sell these boxes, why are you taking it out on people who buy them? Are we supposed to know all about the politics of this program already? I am just a simple buyer who thought it might be nice to use this program.

Take care...

sea4th
02-19-2005, 02:33 AM
Your best option is go to the person who got you setup and get your fix that way.

If that one is closed then starting fresh with Fedora Core 3 has the best chance for success - just like BA mentioned. The current SEQ program uses cvs to set up and a patch from 15th in order for it to work. I have not installed SEQ on FC3 but have it working on RH7.2 and RH9. Both of these systems required additional update and newer software tool updates / installs to be able to compile and install the current SEQ. All the information you need is here but there is not an easy way to ask questions or what search terms to look for.

To start I would search for cvs, pre_5_0_beta, Makefile.dist all , patching, tar, make, ./configure, make install, and if those threads make sense to you -- you will get SEQ going again. If not then expect to spend the better part of a week getting up to speed on linux.

Then there is MySEQ for Windows but that is about all I know about that one.

elf
02-19-2005, 02:45 AM
You did come to the wrong place to ask a question about a purchased SEQ box. If it isn't working, and the guy you bought it from promised it would, then you can take it up with the distributor before going directly to the project itself. Same for just about anything else in linux. If I have trouble with programX, I first check with Gentoo users to see if I'm the only one, I check the bug lists for my distro of choice to find solutions, and only if nothing there works I go to the project boards themselves.

Now, you want to learn, great. http://www.tldp.org/ can teach you if you don't mind reading. Learn linux first, I recomend reformating and installing linux from scratch. You didn't say if you bought the box from a friend or from ebay, but if you got it from someone you didn't know, you could have as many viruses on there as a unpatched windows 98 machine left online for 3 days.

Line by line howto to make SEQ work, sorry, that's what the Install.newbies in the source folder is for. It's not up to date but it's a place to start. You can read all the docs in the source folder, that's a good place t o start. Learn to use linux first, then if you have a problem with any certain part of SEQ installation, ask again.

purple
02-19-2005, 07:50 AM
All the politics of the project are contained in the COPYING file in the source directory for showeq, which better be on your purchased machine. If it's not, then whomever you bought it from is violating the license of the people who actually wrote seq, who give it away for free.

Packaging up seq and selling it on eBay to people who don't know any better is within the rules, but consider what you've bought. Seq is free software. You've just bought a linux machine and some configuration help and some mechanism to keep you from having to learn how to keep seq up to date. It doesn't seem like the mechanism is working very well for you.

This place here has a different mechanism to keep seq up to date. It's not as easy and you can't throw money at it to solve the problem. But also, this is the source. If there are problems with seq, they get fixed here. Your eBay sellers are probably waiting for us to fix things just like everyone else. If they are fixing it themselves, that's great, but they better be making those changes available or else they are violating the license of seq if they distribute their changes.

Around here, this is a meritocracy. Right now, you're on the bottom of it. And like BA said, saying you bought a seq box starts you out on the wrong foot. The people here take the time to make seq better for free. I assume that no one that actually makes the project work sees any of the money you paid for your box. That money isn't helping Ratt out, who kindly gives us hosting. It isn't helping Zaphod out, who has done a vast majority of the recent work on seq. You didn't pay any of us here money, so we don't owe you anything.

If you want a seq box that is as up to date as possible, you're either going to need to find a better place to buy one (that isn't here), or get dirty and learn what the hell you are doing and move up in the meritocracy and get stuff from the source, releases posted here or our cvs server if you are daring. The first step to that is reading this forum a bit. If you read just the past month, you'll find loads of information on how to do things. If you're not willing to do that, this place isn't for you.

With people like CeleSEQ and Tanner keeping rpms and debs up, it's not hard to learn enough linux to maintain your seq box. There's probably 5 total concepts you need to learn. Good luck moving up in the meritocracy.

BlueAdept
02-19-2005, 10:42 AM
If you are angry at the people who sell these boxes, why are you taking it out on people who buy them?
Because you are one of the people who keep those dickheads in business.

Are we supposed to know all about the politics of this program already?
Well you knew enough about Player Auctions to buy it. You knew enough about ShowEQ to want it. You should have done a little homework before buying it. But then again, a fool and his money are quickly parted.

I am just a simple buyer who thought it might be nice to use this program.
Your just a lazy SOB who just wanted instant gratification, who has too much money and wants everything handed to him.

I suggest that you do it like the rest of us and LEARN how to do it yourself.

Better yet, complain to Paypal that the seller sold you a broken item and get your money back and give it to the EFF. Then we might have some respect for you and help you out a bit.

tweissm
02-19-2005, 01:59 PM
Thanks to the couple of people who offered genuine support in this help section. As for Blueadept, you obviously have a great deal of anger which has been displaced on me. You don't know me and have no clue whether I am lazy and want instant gratification. People have different levels of interest in different things. I would appreciate it if you simply not respond, as your venom is quite misguided. It seems like you rashly group people into categories and have a very narrow-minded view of the world. I kind of feel sorry for you.

Take care...

BlueAdept
02-19-2005, 03:11 PM
Actually I did try to help you. If you didnt take my advice, all the information you need is within the top 10 posts. You could also have tried to use the search. With those you would have been able to figure out how to patch the program. If you cant figure it out from that, maybe you would be better off either not using SEQ or you might try MySEQ.

You came here begging (and are still begging) to be lead by the hand on how to fix problem you have. Then on top of it, you make it known that you bought your SEQ box. That really put you at the bottom of the barrel.

It is kind of like knowingly buying a stolen BMW. Then when it runs out of gas, instead of going back to the person you bought it from, you go back to the owner demanding that he fill it back up. To top it off, you dont see anything wrong with doing that.

I am actually a very nice person. I also go out of my way to help a lot of people and have been helping people out here for about the last 5 years.

I believe in helping people who help themselves. No one here gets paid to help others. No one here gets paid to keep the program running. In fact, very few people actually appreciate the efforts of those who do support the program. What have you contributed to the project? Nothing. In fact, you gave money to someone who everyone dislikes which makes it worse than nothing and yet you want us to fix the script or program so you can cheat in Everquest. Yea that is really going to encourage people to help.

Since you spent probably around $250 already for a program that doesnt have a fee, donate $100 to the EFF, pubicly thank the developers and I will personally get you back up an running. You would also probably be able to fix it on your own the next time it breaks.

I judge people on their actions. So far, you havent done anything to change my opinion of you.

elf
02-19-2005, 06:17 PM
Friendly suggestion Tweissm: ditch that user name, read the help files provided in the source code, search the boards to understand why patches break stuff, and come back later.

I'll give you a run down, though, of why free isn't so free. Freedom (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html) for software is pretty much stated at that link. It does mean you are free to pay for the software, and have someone else set it up for you. But that person didn't pay a dime to the people who actually work on this project (that I know of, maybe there is an ebayer somewhere dropping paypal tips to Z). So you gladly paid to have someone else do all the hard work, but learning that you could get it for free, you now want someone to take your hand and walk you through it. I have a suggestion, drop $200 into the EFF's tip jar, and I'll write you a step by step on how to get it fixed.

EMT99a
02-19-2005, 11:30 PM
Now... for those of us newbies who actually built our own systems, who actually installed our own Redhat 9, and who actually have tried to learn how to run Linux, can you please point me in the right direction to figure out how to patch this thing??? I've tried the update listed in the FAQ, I've tried deleting and reinstalling, and I still am getting:

Warning: SEQ: received sequenced packet outside the bounds of reasonableness. Expecting seq=0000 got seq=a500, reasonableness being 1024 in the future.

What am I doing wrong???

uRit1u2CBBA=
02-20-2005, 12:09 AM
Basically, the steps are:

Blow away any old source folders you have.

Get fresh copy of source from CVS.

Apply patch purple2 (and my zones.h if you want, but it's not that critical).

compile

have fun.

Looking through the posts of the last two weeks should give you more details than that if you need it.

EMT99a
02-20-2005, 12:22 AM
Apply patch purple2 (and my zones.h if you want, but it's not that critical).

This is where I'm having my issue... I've tried running patch -p0 < 5.0.0.17-purple2.patch and it started prompting me for all file locations.

This is on a clean CVS install of 5.0.0.17 (I believe) as, like you said, I blew away anything that had to do with the original SEQ.

Edit: Here were my CVS commands:

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq co -r pre_5_0_beta showeq

I'm not sure if the pre_5_0_beta showeq means I'm NOT using 5+, but I would think that I am.

uRit1u2CBBA=
02-20-2005, 12:27 AM
Edit: Here were my CVS commands:

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq co -r pre_5_0_beta showeq

When you issue the "co" cvs command, that makes the showeq directory and all other files/directories needed.

Then you'll have to "cd" into showeq before applying the patches.

They should be found then.

EMT99a
02-20-2005, 12:32 AM
When you issue the "co" cvs command, that makes the showeq directory and all other files/directories needed.

Then you'll have to "cd" into showeq before applying the patches.

They should be found then.
Thanks... it did patch sucessfully that time... I was running the patch from /root instead of the /root/showeq dir.

I appreciate the assist... compiling now to see what happens.

modsiw
02-20-2005, 01:42 AM
I'm completly lost, keep getting

[root@localhost showeq]# patch -p0 < 5.0.0.17-purple2.patch
patch unexpectedly ends in middle of line
patch: **** Only garbage was found in the patch input.

help please, TIA

uRit1u2CBBA=
02-20-2005, 01:49 AM
Did you remember to gunzip the file?

The patch file is flat ASCII that should be readable with 'cat', 'vi', 'emacs', or any other text editor of your choosing.

BlueAdept
02-20-2005, 08:58 AM
This is where I'm having my issue... I've tried running patch -p0 < 5.0.0.17-purple2.patch and it started prompting me for all file locations.

It probably asked for the file locations because you didnt run it from the src directory. It has to know where the files are to patch them.