PDA

View Full Version : Makefile .....[install-sh] Error 1

Noobian
02-19-2005, 03:40 PM
After clearing out all my old ShowEQ files and deleting the directories they were in, I did a fresh install of ShowEQ via CVS.

I then patched in the Purple2 patch (thanks Purple!) and typed make -f Makefile.dist all.

I got the following messages:
Removing old files.....done!
Generating aclocal.m4 from configure.in ....done!
Generating configure headers (config.h.in).....done!
Generating Makefile.in from Makefile.am.....make: *** [install-sh] Error 1

I did this command 2 times and got the same results both times. I also tried to go ahead and type ./configure and it says "No such file or directory". A quick dir confirmed this to be true.

I've tried some searching but can't find anything. Some help would be greatly appreciated.

As for the distro I'm using, its Fedora 1. If I'm understanding things correctly I can still use that.

Thanks;

Noobian

savage_beagle
02-19-2005, 04:07 PM
You need version 1.8 of Automake installed. See this post:

http://www.showeq.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5211

uRit1u2CBBA=
02-19-2005, 04:16 PM
I get the same error when I do 'make -f Makefile.dist all' the first time as well. But running it the 2nd time works fine.

Noobian
02-19-2005, 06:36 PM
Ok I got the files in that other post and updated them on my system.

On the second try the make -f Makefile.dist all command worked!

However, the ./configure command bombed when it got to where it checks out my Qt stuff. It said the following:

>> Found Version: 3.1.1
>>> Headers /usr/lob/qt-3.1/include/
>>>> Libraries /usr/lib/qt-3.1/lib/
>>>> Documentation /usr/lob/qt-3.1/doc/html/
configure: error: Something wicked happened while trying to validate your Qt installation!!! Pelase verify your libraries...

I'm now at another loss. :(

Once again any pointers or outright help would be appreciated.

Noobian

EDIT: I have automake version 1.9.5 if that means anything. From what I can tell though its working with that version.

purple
02-19-2005, 07:09 PM
If you're to configure, you're past automake. Could you ever compile with this machine? That stuff hasn't changed and that error means it can't link with qt I think.

savage_beagle
02-19-2005, 07:22 PM
First, it would appear that you are attempting to compile with QT3.1. You need QT3.2 or above as far as I know. I suggest a search on how to install and configure QT. The something wicked message has a myriad of causes that can't all be explained here except to say that something in QT is broke or you are using the wrong version. I think it's the later.

BlueAdept
02-19-2005, 07:51 PM
I think that it only requires 3.1.1 to compile.

It sounds like a depenancy problem. You could try to update to QT3.2 or higher. I dont know what those other packages required.

If you do upgrade the QT, dont forget the development package or you will get that error again.

BlueAdept
02-19-2005, 07:53 PM
EDIT: I have automake version 1.9.5 if that means anything. From what I can tell though its working with that version.

Just noticed that.

ShowEQ 5.0.0.14

It works with 09/16/04 EQ Live (OoW).

NOTE: ShowEQ now requires autoconf 2.54 or higher.

You need autoconf 2.54 or higher. That is probably your error.

Noobian
02-19-2005, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I went to the thread on the dev forum and followed it to get the following files:

ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/automake/automake-1.8.5.tar.gz
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/autoconf/autoconf-2.59.tar.gz
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/libtool/libtool-1.4.3.tar.gz
http://www.tcpdump.org/release/libpcap-0.8.3.tar.gz
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/seq/showeq-maps-1.0.tar.bz2?download

Except I got automake-1.9.5. instead of automake-1.8.5. Otherwise, as far as I can confirm from using commands such as autoconf -V, and info I have the files listed above.

As far as using this machine before, yes its worked just fine (sort of) for ShowEQ. The sort of is the hard drive has given a few problems in the past. Things like CLICK CLICK CLICK till I hit it that time. Seriously it was a good thing I had the cover off, I banged it with the handle of a screwdriver and it stopped.

I'm suspecting that my Qt stuff my have a file error. I have had to run fsck before.

I guess now I need to try to figure out how to repair/replace Qt. My other option is to download and install Fedora 3, which I'm considering doing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You guys have been so helpful already I think I'll donate some $ to keep this going.

Noobian

purple
02-19-2005, 10:01 PM
Autoconf and automake are two separate things.

purple
02-19-2005, 10:03 PM
And if you want to see what is actually up, look at config.log. It probably has the link error that is causing the problem in it.

BlueAdept
02-20-2005, 09:08 AM
Just noticed that.

You need autoconf 2.54 or higher. That is probably your error.

Doh..I didnt notice you said automake...Was tired. My fault.

Cryonic
02-20-2005, 01:08 PM
the Something Wicked error is usually due to mismatch in the compiler used to build QT and SEQ...

BlueAdept
02-20-2005, 02:07 PM
the Something Wicked error is usually due to mismatch in the compiler used to build QT and SEQ...

or that the dev package isnt installed.

I believe he said that he had SEQ compiled before. He upgraded some packages and now it doesnt work.

It might mean that one of the packages you installed might require a higher QT than you currently have and is causing it to fail. Im just grasping at straws though.

Noobian
02-20-2005, 03:05 PM
I went to Trolltech and found a nice set of instructions on how to upgrade Qt. I was able to follow them with no problem, thus updatig Qt.

I then was able to ./configure with no problems.

Loaded in the maps and typed in showeq.

SKITTLES AGAIN!

Thanks guys;

Noobian