PDA

View Full Version : Question about filter_zonename.conf and filters.conf

Just_A_Nut
02-14-2002, 04:09 PM
Hey all, just a quick question that I haven't been able to find anywhere else.
With the zone specific filters and a filters.conf file both, does ShowEQ only use the zone specific filter, or, does it read the filters.conf file first, then look for additional filters/hunts/alerts/etc in the zone specific filter file and use a combination of the 2?

Just curious if you can wipe out certain things (like skeletons) in the filters.conf instead of having to have it in every zone specific conf file that has a skele in it.

Hope this makes sense :D Having a braindead sorta day here.

Just A Nut

lildr00d
02-14-2002, 05:07 PM
It does not load the zone specific files as far as I can tell. When I zone into a new zone or when I want to load a zone specific filter I use the "File - Select Filter File" from the menu and then choose the zone filter. Of course when you zone you have to manually load the next zone filter.

Hope this helps:cool:

Morannon
02-14-2002, 05:20 PM
odd - it loads the filters_ZONE.conf files automatically for me..

my filters.conf file is empty tho, so maybe thats why.

fryfrog
02-14-2002, 07:17 PM
i JUST use the filters_zonename.conf and it ALL loads automatically with no problem. i do NOT have a filters.conf file either. perhaps you just have the zone names wrong, such as in UPPERCASE or something. all mine are lowercase...

like "filters_northkarana.conf"

Ratt
02-14-2002, 08:20 PM
Zone filter files supercede global filter files. eg. If you have a zone filter file, it will be used instead of your global one.

With the current CVS build, I have no problems with either filter file... my zone specific ones load in the appropriate zones and if there isn't one, the global one loads fine.

Just_A_Nut
02-15-2002, 12:31 AM
Thanks Ratt. That is what I was needing to know (and thanks to the other posters as well).
Ratt, would it be possible to modify the system so that it could use both filters at the same time? The use that I see in this is cutting down on the size of filter files. Put things that you never want to see in the filters.conf and also things you always want to look for, and then zone specific hunt and alert filters could be loaded on top of that if the file exists in the /usr/local/share/showeq directory.

I think it would be handy, if it's not feasible or you don't see a value in it, please let Me know either way :)

Thanks and thank you for all of your hard work on ShowEQ, it makes the game what it should be to begin with. :D

Also, if you want, I can put this in as a feature request.
Just_A_Nut

lildr00d
02-15-2002, 02:28 AM
Mine seems to be working normal now. Thanks Ratt

mbozio
02-15-2002, 03:17 AM
Maybe it is hard to do, but i think it could be very helpfull to have the filters.conf load each time and just add what is in filters_zoneshortname.conf if it exist.

Would help make general traking/warning filter we have to care about everywhere, and then have some specific onces for each zone.

I understand it might be a bit hard to work on that...

Cryonic
02-15-2002, 03:34 AM
The point of the Zone specific filters is to reduce the amount of overhead that filters have. Instead of one big filter file that has to be gone through for every spawn in the zone, you make a smaller filter for each zone.

Smaller filter means fewer compares means it can do it faster.

showeqnewb
02-18-2002, 11:42 AM
I went about this the long way maybe?

What I did was downloaded the filters from someone who had posted theirs and i browsed through them. After I figured out what I wanted I started out from scratch.

I make a file called filters_aaa.conf. I edited this until i had all my "Global" things listed in there. Like dragons under the Danger and other misc things like that. Then I copied and renamed it to match the zone name.

I then put all the "named" under the caution tag due to the fact that I love the flashing yellow circle. I dont have sound on my linux box cuz i dont have a PCI sound card lying around that i have linux drivers for. So the visual effect seems to get my attention. I then edited a Caution filter into the spawn list so I could visually see them listed.

It worked out nice. All of my filters have the same listings and I am loving the HECK out of learning the filters in SEQ!!!

Ratt
02-18-2002, 02:38 PM
Well... I don't think making the filters.conf and filters_x.conf as a cumulative thing is a good idea.

In addition to what Cryonic said, the point of the zone filter file is also to make alerts work only in certain zones. A good example of this is to put a CAUTION alert in Overthere for Dragoons, but you don't need CAUTION alert in Chardok for Dragoons for example.

I can, however, see a need for a filter_global.conf for something you want to load in every zone that tacks onto the filter_x.conf. This would allow some flexiblity when it comes to the filters.

The filters.conf would be the default, added to the filter_global.conf. If a zone specific filter file exists, it would load instead of filters.conf and add filter_global.conf onto it.

Hmm... makes sense I think :)

showeqnewb
02-18-2002, 06:03 PM
I didnt make the files cumulative. I just started with a base. I used the "Danger" catagory for things like Dragons. This carried across to every file that I made! Although I didnt need it in every zone obviously (ToV for example) it was just a base file to start out with.

The other "named" I put under "Caution" just so I could see them visualy. These however were split up per zone. I.e. Pyzjn in Qeynos Hills, Nillipuss in Rivervale, etc. Other wise I might as well have just added them all to the Global Conf.

LordCrush
02-19-2002, 01:23 AM
Hi,

a global filter would be very nice - i have some spawns in every filterfile e.g. .*corrupted.* - for druid epic ;) and with a global file it would not be nessecary to update all files in case of a change !

/Gratz to the developers !

Regards

- Lord Crush

Mr Guy
02-19-2002, 09:09 AM
How about the GM List. I'd sure like that globally...

mbozio
02-20-2002, 10:22 AM
filter_global.conf is even better. Like Ratt said, lot of flexibility and every1 can find the way he want to use the filter system.

mbozio
07-22-2002, 08:03 PM
*bump* any news about that ?

Cryonic
07-22-2002, 10:41 PM
a quick search (global and filter and file) yielded no new info.

mbozio
07-23-2002, 05:14 AM
well, i knew nothing new has been posted ;)
I was wondering if any1 was working on the integration of a filter_global.conf file that would be add to every filter_zonename.conf t the time it is loaded.

Unfortunatly, my codding is rusty... so, if i try to submit a patch myself, u might see it in 3 or 4 month :) but if no1 work on that i might try.

Just wondering if the actual codder are on that or no...