PDA

View Full Version : mob description

archie2
02-15-2002, 12:31 AM
I notice that some mobs have a pound (#) sign as part of their name in the mob listing. Does this have a special meaning?

thanks

fryfrog
02-15-2002, 03:28 AM
its their way of saying, i'm rare... come kill me and find out why i have a # sign. seriously, it really does mean its a rare... sometimes they have good drops... sometimes they are key droppers... lots of different things...

serberus
02-15-2002, 05:32 AM
i've noticed that and come to that conclusion, as very useful as it is, who's to thank for it?

Is it something Verant have in place for checking rare spawns quickly? or is there some sort of internal table to SEQ that flags them with the hash as rare?

Thanks

Serberus

Tyrvidarus
02-15-2002, 07:39 AM
The # in front of the name is assigned by the server. It denotes the mob is special, not always that it's rare. Quest mobs have it a lot as well. I don't know why it's neccessary but it's nice to have it anyway.

Oh and just another example of why it's not always a rare mob...

Raster doesn't have it. Quillimane doesn't have it. Frenzy Ghoul doesn't have it. Just to name a few :)

SeqTester
02-15-2002, 07:45 AM
ALso I noticed in Tower of Frozen Shadow ALL PLACEHOLDERS FOR KEYHOLDERS have a # in front, when you kill them the Keyholder pops from there corpse. Just a little extra info almost off topic but still has to do with #Mobs.

Cryonic
02-15-2002, 09:09 AM
Pre-Velious Rares/Specials don't have it. It was something they did when they released Velious and didn't change the older worlds (e.g. antonica/odus/faydwer/kunark).

The # was probably an attempt to break SEQ's filter ability since a # usually denotes a comment so it can't be used in the filter.conf file to find those mobs. Of course you should be able to put it in the RegExp bar above the map and get something back since # is a valid character to look for.

archie2
02-15-2002, 09:41 AM
thanks for the info.

avgjoe
02-15-2002, 09:55 AM
The # in front of the mob name doesn't break the filter ability within SEQ 4.0

Name:#Icetooth
Name:#Venril Sathir

works just fine!!

I do have to agree with it being used on special mobs more than rare.

Drolvarg Pawbuster, for example, does not have the # in front of the name.

SeqTester
02-15-2002, 09:57 AM
I think that was fixed with the newer filters, back with vellious (I not 100% sure I didn't use filters back then ) the filter system was different.

Mr Guy
02-15-2002, 10:40 AM
Oh by the way, that doesn't work on ToFS.

I think what it does mean though is that one is in the spawn CYCLE for the keys. Sometimes you may have to kill two or three pounders.

SeqTester
02-15-2002, 10:45 AM
Hmm... maybe but I know for sure on lvl 1 and 2 they always pop from the #Mob and have always had keys for me. I never went past lvl3 so I can not say for sure if thats the case further down.

I camped Students Homework off the AngryLibrarian for all the newb casters in my guild and EVERY "#A Ghostly Student" would spawn the Angry Librarian.

At least that was how it worked for me I figured the rest of the lvl was the same.

Mr Guy
02-15-2002, 10:50 AM
Heh I camped the second floor for HOURS forcing my group to kill pounder subtlly. (They don't know, I ummm embellish my gaming, and they are always curious why the druid likes to lead and pull in dungeons). I didn't know about the pound theory, I just had a hunch he should die. Now that I've got others telling me I was right I'm going to be more forceful.

I think you got lucky. We really need to put back up keys on some alts and others in the guild though, so I'll be extensively testing this theory over the coming weeks.

SeqTester
02-15-2002, 10:55 AM
here is a post from eqmaps.com not to say they know it all but this is where I learned about this.

Posted By: Xiana Hollowsoul Date: 01/27/01 at 3:23am EST Server: Rallos Zek
Ok, I am going to post, not how to get the Angry Librarian to spawn, but how to tell if her place holder is up.

Ok, get ITU first. Get an item and from a distance try to trade with the students/scholars. It should say 'you are too far away from a_ghostly_student_02' or something. Now, keep doing this and if you are lucky you will find one that says the following 'you are too far away from #a_ghostly_student_04 to trade' NOTICE the # sign at the front of the name, this means the Angry Librarian will spawn after the death of this npc. I have done this over 10 times now and it works everytime.

I still have no clue about how to make it spawn, I assume it is random, but this is how to tell whether or not you have an Angry Librarian place holder.

NOTE: it dosen't have to be a student, it can be a student or scholar. And Zorglim the Dead and I believe the Librarain always have a # sign, but they are never place holders, only students and scholars. This helps if you are just passinf through and no one is one 2nd floor, check the mobs and if PH is up hey you get a free Angry Librarian. Well have fun. =)

Mr Guy
02-15-2002, 10:58 AM
Hmm hijacking this thread, but is it any chance: #A Splitpaw Gnoll in SK?