PDA

View Full Version : suse 9.2 help

suse92noob
04-05-2005, 08:08 PM
after using the search function and reading all the posts that even mention installing showeq on suse, i still cannot get it to run. i believe that i have compiled and installed it properly but for some reason i cannot get it to startup. i have followed the instructions contained in the install.noob file that is included in the .tar with no luck. i tried to start it up using the command# showeq eth0 --ip-address=100.100.100.100, also with no luck.

what i am trying to do is install showeq on a SUSE 9.2 pro machine. i have recently started playing around with linux and am looking for a noob version of how to install show eq on SUSE 9.2.

i have also tried to install it following the instructions on this forum page, here (http://www.showeq.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5135). i have gotten this message

linux:/home/KMK/bin # rpm -ihv showeq-5.0.0.16-1.i586.rpm
Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
package showeq-5.0.0.16-1 is already installed i tried this method but i was not sure where to go from there. or what command/directory i needed to run/use.

if there is a noob guide to install showeq on SUSE 9.2 i would love to get a look at it. any help or suggestions are appreciated.

purple
04-05-2005, 08:57 PM
1) 5.0.0.16 is old. 5.0.0.18 is current.
2) "with no luck" is rubbish for helping you. You're gonna have to be a lot more specific than that.

suse92noob
04-05-2005, 10:53 PM
got it figuered out. the problem was the xhost and export DISPLAY setting. thanks for the reply in any case. oddly enough the answer came from an apple site here. (http://lists.apple.com/archives/x11-users/2004/May/msg00046.html) thanks again, and if anyone has any questions on how i did it i have a complete log file to compare if the need should arise, or anyone wants to look at it.

Cryonic
04-06-2005, 12:08 AM
not odd. Apple is using FreeBSD's kernel as the core of OSX and have a version of X11 to run on top of their interface.

suse92noob
04-06-2005, 12:13 AM
on a side note, the point of that article is that you should not leave the xhost open all the time. is there any way around using x host in the manner i did below?

kmk@linux:~> xhost +
access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
kmk@linux:~> su
Password:
linux:/home/KMK # cd /usr/local/bin
linux:/usr/local/bin # ./showeq eth0 --ip-address=192.168.1.102
ShowEQ 5.0.0.18, released under the GPL.

this is how i got it to run and i am not sure that this is the correct method.

purple
04-06-2005, 07:03 AM
It was too bad you didn't bother to put your actual error about not having permission to your display in your original post (or anywhere in your post). I'm not surprised you did better searching for yourself, instead of waiting for someone here to divine what your problem is from absolutely no information. If you had put error in here, people in the future could search and find this thread for help.

Some choices for x authentication are:
- xhost +localhost (which opens your X server up to anyone on your local machine)
- Using xauth
- Making showeq setuid root and just running it as your normal user
- Setting pam up to properly manage your display permissions

If you want to do xhost +, it will work fine and it's not wrong or right. That turns off all access control. If you have a firewall and trust everyone behind it, then there's nothing really wrong with that.

Personally, I make showeq setuid root (chmod u+s `which showeq`) and just run it as my normal user. The less you use your root account, the better.

suse92noob
04-06-2005, 11:20 AM
the original problem was this error

Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
showeq: cannot connect to X server :0.0

i fixed it by using the xhost command that i learned from the site listed above. originally i had a huge post about my problem but i edited it to the fixed version becaise i did not want to use a huge amount of space. i have the original post still if you would like me to post it again.

CeleSEQ
04-07-2005, 04:47 PM
Probably not a bad idea, having the text allows people to search for it.

suse92noob
04-07-2005, 09:12 PM
the original post before i edited it to the shorter "i fixed it" version was this:

i will start from the beginning and try and include as much information as i can.

i followed the steps in the FAQ to try and download showeq from the CVS. i always get a time out message like this.

linux:/ # cvs -dimages/smilies/tongue.gifserver:[email protected] :/cvsroot/seq login
Logging in to images/smilies/tongue.gifserver:[email protected] :2401/cvsroot/seq
CVS password:
cvs [login aborted]: connect to cvs.seq.sourceforge.net(66.35.250.209):2401 failed: Connection timed out
linux:/ #
to get around this i went to the sourceforge website and downloaded the files directly. what i downloaded was:
Download showeq-maps-1.0.tar.bz2 (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/seq/showeq-maps-1.0.tar.bz2?download)
Download showeq-5.0.0.18.tar.bz2 (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/seq/showeq-5.0.0.18.tar.bz2?download)

after i downloaded them i logged in as root and ran this

kmk@linux:~/showeq-5.0.0.18> ./configure at the end of the configure i get this message:

nfig.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating src/Makefile
config.status: creating conf/Makefile
config.status: creating config.h
config.status: executing depfiles commands
Success!
Please run:
make
i did not include the entire text but i can if needed as i saved it to a text file for later reference.

after that i executed make and got this:

make[2]: linux:/home/KMK/showeq-5.0.0.18 # make
make all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/KMK/showeq-5.0.0.18'
Making all in src
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/KMK/showeq-5.0.0.18/src'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/KMK/showeq-5.0.0.18/src'
Making all in conf
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/KMK/showeq-5.0.0.18/conf'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/KMK/showeq-5.0.0.18/conf'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/KMK/showeq-5.0.0.18'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/KMK/showeq-5.0.0.18'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/KMK/showeq-5.0.0.18'
after running make install i get this:

make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/KMK/showeq-5.0.0.18/conf'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/KMK/showeq-5.0.0.18/conf'
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/KMK/showeq-5.0.0.18'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/KMK/showeq-5.0.0.18'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `install-data-am'.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/KMK/showeq-5.0.0.18'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/KMK/showeq-5.0.0.18'
linux:/home/KMK/showeq-5.0.0.18 # when i try and execute the program this is what i get:

showeq: cannot connect to X server :0.0 this is strange because when i try and start an x session from the command line i get this:

linux:/home/KMK/showeq-5.0.0.18 # startx
xauth: creating new authority file /root/.Xauthority

Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 0
If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
and start again.
i am not sure where to go from here or what i need to do. hope that this sheds some light on what i am doing wrong. i tried to run it like i read on some of the other posts but this result is this:

linux:/usr/local/bin # showeq
bash: showeq: command not found
linux:/usr/local/bin # cd showeq
bash: cd: showeq: Not a directory
linux:/usr/local/bin # showeq eth0 --ip-address=192.168.1.102
bash: showeq: command not found
linux:/usr/local/bin # did a bit more reading and tried one more thing while i was awake, but still cant get it to run

kmk@linux:~> xhost +localhost
localhost being added to access control list
kmk@linux:~> su
Password:
linux:/home/KMK # export DISPLAY=localhost:0
linux:/home/KMK # cd /usr/local/bin
showeq: cannot connect to X server localhost:0
linux:/usr/local/bin # export DISPLAY=:0