PDA

View Full Version : Windows --> Linux file transfers

BouncerG
04-18-2005, 11:13 AM
Let me start by saying that I am in the process of installing Fedora C3 on my old laptop. This is the first time I have ever done anything with Linix so right now Im feeling pretty much like an idiot.

Anyway, today the CD-ROM on my Windows machine started acting up and now is not detectable by the comp. I did the normal Uninstall/Install stuff but it still cant locate any drivers.

I have decided I might as well do a format and fresh install of everything. I have quite an extensive music collection I dont want to lose so I was wondering if its possible to transfer all of my music onto my Linux machine, reload XP, then transfer it all back and still have working files?

Thanks for any help you can give.

purple
04-18-2005, 11:18 AM
Sure, as long as they have network connections. Or just move the hard disk and make sure you have whatever filesystem the disk is in compiled into your kernel (fat32 or ntfs).

I use samba for connectivity and copying between my windows and linux machines. I'd imagine FC3 has a package for that. Or just zip it all up and use ftp I guess. Really you have a lot of choices. Samba in my opinion is the most useful though.

BouncerG
04-18-2005, 11:49 AM
Excellent. Thanks a lot for the fast reply.

uRit1u2CBBA=
04-18-2005, 11:53 AM
be sure to put it into binary mode if you use FTP, or else you'll end up chewing up your files.

gruntsters
04-18-2005, 11:56 PM
If you know little about Linux, Samba is gonna be a long, time consuming P.I.T.A. Just spend $40-60 on a new hard drive. install it in your windows machine as a secondary hard drive. Copy all the important files over to it. Wipe your original hard drive and re-install windows. This method sounds complex, but trust me its the easiest and fastest option available to you.

Tor K'tal
04-19-2005, 02:02 AM
Fedora Core 3, has a pretty good samba option in it. The trick is figuring out the direction to go. Have your windows box access the drive space on your linux box or have your linux box access the drive space of your windows machine.

I personally found it a ton easier to share the area I want to copy over on my windows machine. Mount that from my linux box. Copy the files off. Do what I need to do to my windows machine. Then share a writable are on that windows machines. Mount that share and copy the files back over.

But that is just my personal prefrence for ease of use.

~ TK

BouncerG
04-19-2005, 08:26 AM
Well it turns out it wasnt as hard to figure out as I thought it was. I found the spot to open up my windows network and just copied the files over.

As for Linux, I havent really learned anything about it but you cant imagine my excitement when I got SEQ to fire up and run right last night. Very sweet program guys. Keep up the great work!

On another note, I have this installed on a pretty low end laptop. 550 P3, 256 RAM, 20G HD and 8meg video card. Is SEQ always this laggy or is it just my ultra crappy laptop?

Cryonic
04-19-2005, 08:41 AM
must be your laptop, because I have it running fine on a P150 with 80MB RAM

BouncerG
04-19-2005, 09:13 AM
Oh wow. Well I guess its time to figure out whats causing it. Im sure filter out some trash will help. It runs just fine if I zoom in a ways.

uRit1u2CBBA=
04-19-2005, 10:45 AM
When I ran it on a 133mhz system, it was a little laggy when I had a large map. It took up 100% CPU just to maintain drawing it.

I ran it on an 800mhz system, and didn't notice any problems. Even full screen.

Now I have an AMD 3500+ running it :) overkill for seq, but nice to compile it in 3 minutes :)

BouncerG
04-19-2005, 11:02 AM
Is there anything I can do to try tracking down this problem? Many times it takes up to 30 seconds just to open an option in the toolbar or zoom in/out on the map.

Dedpoet
04-19-2005, 01:11 PM
In a terminal window, you can run a program called "top" to see what is using all of your processor time. It should be at the top of the list. Press 'q' to get out of top. If it's Seq which is using all your processor (and it probably is), try sizing the window a bit smaller and see if that helps. Also, on the bottom of the map window, decrease the frames per second (fps) that the map is trying to display. The default is 10, but it really makes almost no difference any higher than 3.

One other thing to try is to use a less hungry window manager. You're probably using Gnome or KDE, both of which eat up a lot of resources for an older machine. Using something like blackbox or another minimal window manager may help you. That's a fairly advanced topic for a new user, though it might be a good learning experience.

BouncerG
04-20-2005, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the advice on running top. Turns out that X is tanking up most of my CPU time, but only in zones with lots of mobs.